PDA

View Full Version : Charles Henry Lanning

Phoenix
09-08-12, 22:27
Charles, son of Henry, gent deceased married Mary Ann Lanning in 1851. He gave what appears to have been his trade address as his residence. Daughter Ellen was baptised a few months later. Living at Princes Road Kennington, Charles a meat salesman.

He can be found in Melcombe REgis in 1861 and then the trail goes completely cold.

He appears to have died before the will of his father in law Thomas Lanning was made in the early 1880s, but I can find no death for him.

Can anyone spot this man born, like so many Lannings, in Kington Magna.

kiterunner
09-08-12, 22:34
Counties, so we know where to look

Kennington, London / Surrey
Melcombe Regis and Kington Magna - Dorset

kiterunner
09-08-12, 22:38
So this is him in 1861 (to give us his approximate year of birth):
2 Bellevue, Melcombe Regis, Dorset
Charles H Lanning Head Mar 34 Meat salesman Dorset Kington Magna
Mary A Do Wife Mar 27 Middlesex Bloomsbury
Ellen Do Daur 9 Scholar Surrey Kennington.

kiterunner
09-08-12, 22:47
There is a Charles Lanning death registered Jan-Mar 1862 in Wincanton district. But no age on the death index at that time.

Phoenix
10-08-12, 13:30
Although he comes from Kington Magna and I think there were strong familial connections, I'm not sure that he returned there. A lot of boys were born in the 1770s who all seem to have used the same names for their sons: Thomas, George, Charles, Henry and Frederick keep on cropping up in various combinations.

I suspect that he popped over to the continent to do a bit of business and died there.

Ooh, just had a thought. The will implied that his widow hadn't been heard of either for a little while. Would death duty registers in the 1880s show if legacies hadn't been distributed?

kiterunner
10-08-12, 13:49
I don't know - I've only looked at the index to death duty registers, not the actual registers.

Phoenix
10-08-12, 14:19
I've only used those up to 1858, but they show relationships if not clear from the will (because different rates of tax were payable, depending on who got the loot) and sometimes date of death of beneficiaries if they were paid in instalments.

crawfie
12-08-12, 12:54
3 Charles Lannings were born in Kington Magna in the 1820's.

1. Illegitimate son of Martha, bap 24/3/1826
2. son of George (labourer) and Sarah bap 5/10/1828
3. son of Job (labourer) and Ann bap 29/10/1829.

None had a middle name. Could possibly be no 1. who made up a father for his marriage.

A bit more

No. 2 is with his mother in 1851, an Ag Lab.
No 3. died at a year old in 1830.

Phoenix
12-08-12, 14:18
Ooh, thanks, Linda!

I've been having router problems and every time I attempt a search or a post I lose the connection. But Martha would make sense - with some layabout Henry for his father.