PDA

View Full Version : Mother's maiden name

geniebug
06-08-12, 01:11
I'm looking for the maiden name of Elizabeth Lauchlane (who had a child with William as below)

The father was William Laughlan who was born 15 April 1827 Drumachose, Co. Derry Ireland, and who died 16 Dec. 1868 in Scotland.

The child was Samuel Laughlan born 1851 in Barony, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

In the 1851 Census, a Samuel Lachline aged 2 months born Barony Lanarkshire. Father is Willam Lauchline born 1827 Ireland (brickfield labourer) and mother is Elizabeth Lauchlane born 1827 Ireland. The family are living as boarders with another family called Bell in Duke Street, Glascow.

What I am looking for is the marriage of William and Elizabeth, (if they did get married), the maiden name of Elizabeth and the birth date of Samuel. I have had laughlan spelt all manner of ways - this is the first time I've seen it spelt Lauchline/Lauchlane/Lachline

Failing this - I have Samuel with the wrong father (William Laughlan), as my William was born 15 April 1827.

kiterunner
06-08-12, 10:22
Have you had a look at William's death registration on Scotland's People? I think it should give Elizabeth's maiden name on there.

geniebug
06-08-12, 10:56
Kate, thanks.

I went into Scotlands People, but I typed in Lauchlan, laughlan - all sorts of spellings, and I don't know which spelling has been registered.:(

kiterunner
06-08-12, 10:58
The William who died in 1868 was age 41 and he died in Renfrewshire.

Ancestry's transcription of the 1861 Scottish census has a William "Langhland" age 33 living in Paisley, Renfrewshire, born Ireland, with a wife Jane 26 born Paisley, Renfrewshire, and son Sarah(!) age 10 born Glasgow, Lanarkshire, also William John age 2 born Auchinleck, Ayrshire, and George 6 months born Paisley. Presumably Sarah is a mistranscription of Samuel, and it looks as though Elizabeth may have died and William remarried to Jane.

William John Laughlan's birth is on FamilySearch with parents' names shown as William Laughlan and Jane Grieve. Also George Hepburn Laughlan with parents William Laughlan and Jeanie Grieve. Their marriage is also on FamilySearch - William Laughlan married Jane Grieve 16 Oct 1855 Govan, Lanark. The marriage certificate will be available to view on Scotland's People and it should tell you whether William was married before and if so, how many children he had by that marriage (1855 marriages have a lot of information!)

kiterunner
06-08-12, 10:59
Kate, thanks.

I went into Scotlands People, but I typed in Lauchlan, laughlan - all sorts of spellings, and I don't know which spelling has been registered.:(

Sorry, we were typing at the same time. I found William's death on Scotland's People by putting in the surname as Lauchlane and selecting "Surname variants".

geniebug
06-08-12, 11:19
William John Laughlan's birth is on FamilySearch with parents' names shown as William Laughlan and Jane Grieve. Also George Hepburn Laughlan with parents William Laughlan and Jeanie Grieve. Their marriage is also on FamilySearch - William Laughlan married Jane Grieve 16 Oct 1855 Govan, Lanark. The marriage certificate will be available to view on Scotland's People and it should tell you whether William was married before and if so, how many children he had by that marriage (1855 marriages have a lot of information!)

You are right about him marrying again. He had Samuel, - his first wife died, he remarried. (Or DID he marry the first time). My grandfather is one of his children to Jane Grieve, and yes, he was born in Auchinleck. I do have his marriage to Jane, and he shows himself as a bachelor aged 28, Brickmaking labourer born 15th Aril 1827 County Derry, Ireland.

Where I put my query in Kate, it didn't have the choice of variants - and I would never have tried Langhland lol.
I was trying to find out what happened to Samuel, and who his mother was. They were shown in the 1851 census (see earlier msg)

kiterunner
06-08-12, 11:29
So Samuel is still around in 1861 assuming that Sarah is a mistranscription. I'll see if I can find him after that later - just got to get off the computer for now.

geniebug
06-08-12, 11:34
No hurry Kate, we've been searching for him for about 30 years now :o, and yes, I think Sarah was a mistranscription.

I'm off to bed now anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Uncle John
06-08-12, 18:45
Just to mention in passing - 1855 Scottish registrations (births, marriages and deaths) are a real treasure-trove and also in many cases a work of art. It was the first year of formal registration and the registrars collected and recorded much more information than they did in later years.

kiterunner
06-08-12, 19:05
There is a Samuel Laughlin death registered 1903 at Irvine, Ayrshire, age 53, but presumably he is the one whose birthplace in 1881 (surname Lochlon), 1891 and 1901 is Irvine, Ayrshire. FamilySearch shows a Samuel Laughlan on the 1861 census who is probably that one, so it looks as if we can rule that one out.

geniebug
06-08-12, 21:51
There is a Samuel Laughlin death registered 1903 at Irvine, Ayrshire, age 53, but presumably he is the one whose birthplace in 1881 (surname Lochlon), 1891 and 1901 is Irvine, Ayrshire. FamilySearch shows a Samuel Laughlan on the 1861 census who is probably that one, so it looks as if we can rule that one out.

That death sounds feasible, he would have been living away from home in 1871 census

In 1851 Census - a Samuel Lauchline aged 2 months born Barony Lanarkshire. Father is William Lauchline born 1827 Ireland (brickfield labourer) and mother is Elizabeth Lauchline born 1827 Ireland. The family are living as boarders with another family called Bell in Duke St, Glasgow. The age in this census ties in with other information on that census namely

Census of Scotland 1861 shows that
William Laughland lived at 8 Moncrieff St, Paisley aged 33 (Miners Labourer), born in Ireland,
Jane, aged 26 born Renfrewshire, Paisley,
Samuel, Son aged 10, (Scholar), born Lanarkshire, Glasgow,
William John, Son aged 2, born Auchinleck, Ayrshire and
George Laughland, Son aged 6 months) born Paisley, Renfrewshire, Therefore William must have been born in Ireland in 1828, Jane in Paisley in 1835.

Note: The William John mentioned above is my grandfather.
Jane & William went on to have 2 daughters.

The spelling of Lochlon is a new one on me! My grandfather changed the spelling of his name Laughlan to Lochlin (which was my maiden name) just before coming to Australia. I rather suspect if was to do with the Lodge he joined (Tthe Grand Lodge of Scotland No. 73 (Thistle & Rose), Glasgow)

kiterunner
06-08-12, 22:41
The 1903 death isn't likely to be him, because as I said, I found that one in Ayrshire in 1861 when your Samuel was still living in Paisley with his father.