PDA

View Full Version : Baptism Query

Kit
06-08-12, 01:06
Richard Simpson is baptised at St Peter's Leeds 10 April 1785, born 13 March 1785, father also Richard. They live at Briggate.

On this page of the register a mother is only mentioned twice - one Widow X and one Sarah Y, no fathers are mentioned for those 2 cases.

My question is that if Richard's father is named would I be right in assuming the father is alive?

I have found a burial for a Richard Simpson, aged 32 from Briggate, when my Richard's mother would have been 4 months pregnant. I'm not sure whether he would be the father or a different Richard.

Merry
06-08-12, 07:21
I think you could only make a presumption if the register said he was dec'd. It not saying that doesn't mean he was definitely alive! :o

Merry
06-08-12, 07:30
There's a Christopher Simpson bap and died after that:

Christopher Simpson Burial 14 Mar 1788 Leeds, St Peter (Leeds Parish Church) father Richard Simpson address Hunslet

Christopher Timpson Baptism 8 Apr 1787 Leeds, St Peter (Leeds Parish Church - Hunslet chapel) father Richard Timpson

but as the address is different it's hard to know if that's the same Richard.

Kit
06-08-12, 07:37
I think the Hunslet Richard is different, only because he has an Ann in the middle of a few Briggate ones. Mind you that is assuming there is only one in each place and not just one who moved a lot.

I'd also be really happy if I could work out if the Kirkgate Richard moved to become the Briggate one. Then I'd have the marriage too.

Merry
06-08-12, 07:39
Was your Richard a barber?

Kit
06-08-12, 08:58
Richard born 1785 was a cordwainer, Richard Snr I have no idea.