PDA

View Full Version : London Metropolitan Archives

Mandy in Wiltshire
21-10-09, 17:34
Apart from going in person to the LMA or looking on Ancestry, is there anywhere else that London parish records can be viewed, eg local records offices?

A relative asked me but I don't have any London ancestors so haven't got a clue!

Nell
21-10-09, 17:55
No, Mandy, unless you order film at your local LDS family history centre. LMA is just the London area equivalent of a county archives.

Mandy in Wiltshire
21-10-09, 18:04
That's great, many thanks Nell :)

Phoenix
21-10-09, 18:26
Apart from marriages (for obvious reasons!) you can view them at TNA for free.

Mandy in Wiltshire
21-10-09, 18:30
Apart from marriages (for obvious reasons!) you can view them at TNA for free.

So Kew has got London parish baptisms and deaths then? The website says that it doesn't hold them....

Phoenix
21-10-09, 18:32
Kew has Ancestry, which happens to cover the births & deaths from LMA.
Doing my usual trick, I looked everything up in the index, then checked the images at Kew.

NB You can also get access to the criminal registers. I had lots of fun with them!

Mandy in Wiltshire
21-10-09, 18:38
Kew has Ancestry, which happens to cover the births & deaths from LMA.
Doing my usual trick, I looked everything up in the index, then checked the images at Kew.

NB You can also get access to the criminal registers. I had lots of fun with them!

Ah, I see! I was worried because I've just told someone that Kew doesn't hold parish records, but I knew you were a Kew expert and would know what you're talking about :d

Are the criminal registers via Ancestry too? I can see some fun coming on Saturday :eek:

Phoenix
21-10-09, 18:48
Ah, I see! I was worried because I've just told someone that Kew doesn't hold parish records, but I knew you were a Kew expert and would know what you're talking about :d

Are the criminal registers via Ancestry too? I can see some fun coming on Saturday :eek:

You are right on both counts, but it just so happens that the particular Ancestry sub that Kew holds covers those random bits & pieces.

kiterunner
21-10-09, 19:02
Local history libraries in the various London boroughs are likely to have copies of the parish registers for their own area, though you run the risk of having to visit an "Idea Store" instead of a library! (I know because I had a look at the website for Tower Hamlets council just to check that their local history library has parish register microfilms).