PDA

View Full Version : How can I find a recent death?

West Yorkshire Maggy
21-10-09, 16:44
When my dad died last April we tried to contact his last surviving sister in law to let her know that he had died. We phoned her last known number, but there was no answer and a letter that we wrote to her last known address didn't get a reply.

We think she may have died, but how can we find out? I have tried looking at obituaries in the local paper, but nothing.

We think she possibly died between 2007 and 2008 in the Goole area.

Ideas anyone please?

kiterunner
21-10-09, 16:50
Have you checked on 192.com to see if she was listed on the electoral roll in the last few years but not now?

West Yorkshire Maggy
21-10-09, 16:54
Nope, not thought of that one, thanks. Will give it a try!

Phoenix
21-10-09, 17:22
This is where the indexes may be viewed for free:

Viewing full copies of the indexes

Copies of the indexes can no longer be purchased but a complete set, including ‘Births, Deaths and Marriages from 1837 – 2007’, ‘Overseas from 1761 – 2007’, ‘Civil Partnerships from 2005 – 2007’, ‘Adoptions from 1927 – 2007’, and the provisional indexes for ‘Births and Deaths for 2008’, is available at:

National Archives at Kew
Greater Manchester County Record Office
Birmingham Central Library
Bridgend Reference and Information Library
Plymouth Central Library
City of Westminster Archives Centre
These locations get updates for you to view in person. This is expected to continue until free, online access can be provided.

If you can't reach any of them, could you contact the registrar local to the area?

West Yorkshire Maggy
21-10-09, 17:36
Thanks Phoenix. I can't get to any of the places you've listed and find 192.com confusing and expensive.

Looks like I might have to wait for more up to date records coming to Ancestry and looking it up there.

I have thought about trying to contact the Goole register office, but am not sure that they would give me such recent information?

Thanks for trying to help.

West Yorkshire Maggy
21-10-09, 18:17
Just another update. I have managed to find a phone number for the Sheltered Housing which was her last know address, so will ring them tomorrow.

Phoenix
21-10-09, 18:25
Maggy, Ancestry won't be updated for anything after 2005. You can only find that at the sites I've mentioned, or through the local registrar (or cemetery)

kiterunner
21-10-09, 19:12
Some local BMD sites have deaths as recent as 2008 listed, for instance North Lincolnshire BMD. But if Goole comes under Yorkshire BMD then the deaths on their site don't go past 1973 at the moment.

West Yorkshire Maggy
21-10-09, 19:16
Ok thanks. I'll try the sheltered housing scheme tomorrow to see what they can tell me. Will maybe try the local register office if they can't tell me anything.

We are resigned to the fact that she has probably died, but would like to know for certain.

MargaretMarch
21-10-09, 21:54
Perhaps some kind soul on here or a similar site is visiting one of the places where the recent records are held and would do a look up for you.
Someone did one for me earlier this year in Birmingham.
Margaret

Jeanette in Yorkshire
22-10-09, 12:32
Does FMP have the latest electoral rolls? Do you know anyone with an FMP sub?

If there's anything you think I could do to help Maggy, just ask ;)

Mandy in Wiltshire
22-10-09, 12:48
Maggy

I'm going to Kew on Saturday but we're setting off first thing tomorrow so if you let me have the full details by PM (by last thing tonight), I'll gladly have a look on the BMD registers there for you.

I've never looked at BMD registers at Kew but I'm sure somebody will point me in the right direction!

West Yorkshire Maggy
22-10-09, 15:50
Thanks for your kind offer Mandy. I have sent you the information through facebook.

Thanks Jeanette, will see if Mandy can find out anything, then maybe get back to you.

Maggy xx