PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry or Find My Past?

West Yorkshire Maggy
21-10-09, 16:26
Which is the best option now? I've had my full subscription to Ancestry for a few years now, and have used it a lot, but not much lately. Now Find My Past sounds very tempting because it includes the 1911 census (I have already paid to view the 1911)
I'm confused now, which is the best option?:confused:

kiterunner
21-10-09, 16:48
It depends on a few things really - are you going to be looking at the 1911 census a lot? Do you have ancestors / relatives to look up in other countries or just the UK? (Ancestry has a worldwide sub available, but findmypast doesn't have much outside the UK) Do you want access to the WW1 medal index cards and service records (ancestry)? Which passenger lists do you prefer - people leaving the UK (findmypast) or entering the UK (ancestry)? Do you need the GRO "overseas indexes" (findmypast)? Do you ever find your census searches on findmypast "time out"? As for parish registers, both sites have a lot of them - ancestry is best for London but findmypast covers many other counties, so it depends whereabouts your ancestors lived. Both sites have tree builders but I don't think findmypast lets you look to see who else has your ancestors in their tree?

Personally I'll be sticking with ancestry because I have ancestors from other countries and quite a lot of rellies who emigrated to countries that it covers, and I have loads of London ancestors. I don't mind waiting a few months for them to get the 1911 census, especially as I have had the dreaded "time out" on a 1911 search on findmypast.

Merry
21-10-09, 17:02
I have Ancestry because of the WW1 and LMA records, plus the stuff that's on both.

I have some 1911 census credits (bought when it first came out) and very occasionally I use them for other things on FMP. I have found this works for me, but as Kite says, it can depend on various things which site has the most records you need.

West Yorkshire Maggy
21-10-09, 17:11
Thanks for the prompt replies Kiterunner and Merry. From what you have both told me I'm probably better sticking with Ancestry then and paying for the odd 1911 image on Find My Past like I have been doing up to now.

Thanks again.

Mandy in Wiltshire
21-10-09, 17:37
Maggy, I'm the opposite to Kite and Merry; I'm not going to renew my Ancestry sub and have renewed my FMP sub (including the 1911) instead. Like they said, it's a case of seeing which site suits you best according to what they hold.

West Yorkshire Maggy
21-10-09, 17:43
Confused again now Mandy:confused:

Think I'll wait until my subscription for Ancestry runs out in February, then decide...lol...;(