PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 1840 Scottish Death

WendyLF
16-07-12, 18:07
I have the will and testament of a Thomas MacFarlane entered 1841 at Perth Sheriff Court Scotland, which states “who died at Craigton on or about the 1st day of October last” I would take this to mean 1840 and as Craigton was in Perth and that he left 432 pounds (split between various persons and churches/charities) I expected to find a record of his death but so far, no luck. I have tried searching:
All Deaths From: 20 September 1840; Date To: 20 October 1840; County: PERTH;
Deaths with surname variants of McFarlane; no forename; sex: "Any"; Date From: 01 September 1840; Date To: 31 December 1840; All Counties
Deaths with no surname; forename variants: "THOMAS"; Sex: "Any"; Date From: 01 September 1839; Date To: 31 December 1841; County: PERTH;
Deaths with surname variants of McFarlane; no forename; sex: "Any"; Date From 01 January 1840; Date To: 31 December 1850; County: PERTH;
I've even checked the Catholic records for McFarlane deaths From: 01 January 1742; Date To: 31 December 1855 (Just in case!)

Any other suggestions? although I don’t think he is a direct relative, I believe he could be an important link between 2 McFarlane families.

kiterunner
16-07-12, 18:45
Civil registration of deaths didn't start until 1855 in Scotland, and unfortunately, many Scottish parishes didn't keep records of burials, so it could just be that there is no record of his death other than the record you have already found in the probate grant.

If I have the right Craigton, it was in the parish of Kirkmichael, and looking at the list of OPR (= old parochial registers) death / burial records on Scotland's People, there are no death / burial records available for that parish for 1840 or 1841:

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/images/opr_deaths_years.txt

WendyLF
16-07-12, 19:01
Thanks Kite, I think it was actually Craigtown, Clunie as one of the persons that he mentions in the will is stated as being in Craigton, is actually in Craigtown as per the 1841 census (also married in Clunie in 1830).
Not that it makes much difference come to think of it as, thanks to your link (never thought of checking that out:o) it just dawned on me that there is a possibility that the death could have been recorded in Dowally (seems to be where the family was from) and they also do not have records for that time;(.
Thanks again.