PDA

View Full Version : Eato/Eatto Family

Del 80
12-07-12, 15:07
Hello, been a while since I've been on here [nearly a year in fact] a lady was tracing the Eato family of Langford in Nottinghamshire, does that lady still use the forum ?.......Regards Del.

Margaret in Burton
12-07-12, 15:31
Hello, been a while since I've been on here [nearly a year in fact] a lady was tracing the Eato family of Langford in Nottinghamshire, does that lady still use the forum ?.......Regards Del.

Yes that's me.

Del 80
12-07-12, 15:59
Margaret, of course, I remember now, Hello, I am trying to connect the Eato family with Anthony Ayto, of Normanton in Lincolnshire, he is given as being born in 1753 at Collingham Nottinghamshire, which I believe is close to Langford, I just wondered if you had come across him in your research ?...........Regards Del.

Margaret in Burton
12-07-12, 16:07
No I haven't come across him. Any more info on him?

Langford and Collingham are about 2-3 miles apart. I do have other lines in Collingham.

Del 80
12-07-12, 16:19
I have Richard, Ann,John, Mary and an Anthony Eato all born Langford, but this Anthony's birth date is given as 1785, they are all children of Richard Eato and Mary Donson, I just think with a name like this, and the close proximity, there has to be a connection, would you agree ?.......Regards Del.

Margaret in Burton
12-07-12, 16:28
I haven't followed the siblings up yet. My connection is to Richard's 2nd wife Elizabeth Hazard and their daughter Mary b 1792.
Richard was then married again to Christiana Hutchinson.

Do you have this Anthony on any census?

Margaret in Burton
12-07-12, 16:29
Just realised that born 1753 he is unlikely to be on any census.

Margaret in Burton
12-07-12, 16:30
It is possible that he was a sibling of Richard but we would need to find their baptisms to make any headway with that. It's just a guess otherwise.

Del 80
12-07-12, 16:47
Just to confuse things, there is a John Eathough, married Phyllis Stevenett at North Collingham in 1747, their 6th and last child is named Anthony....born 1761...according to Bob Copelands excellent website he is the one that went to Normanton Lincs. I think that the dates are wrong somewhere, also the spelling does'nt help either....Eato, Eatto, Eathough, Aytough Ayto, Aytoe, Ato, Atoe Hato, Hayto, Haytoe.... Regards Del Ayto.

Margaret in Burton
12-07-12, 18:29
I can't get any further back until I find Richard's 1750-1842 baptism.

Richard hung himself, I have the death cert.

Del 80
13-07-12, 07:50
Marg, that's very sad, I am waiting for some information from a cousin, on the Ayto family, he reckons he has got back to the mid 1700's, so maybe that will establish the connection between the Ayto/Eato families......I am sure that there has to be one...........Regards Del.

Del 80
13-07-12, 12:41
http://www.bobcopeland.net/all-o/p71.htm#i3045 Marg, this is the Anthony Ayto from Normanton Lincs, he is my 5x g. grandfather, and is sometimes known as Hayto......Regards Del.

Del 80
13-07-12, 12:51
http://www.bobcopeland.net/all-o/p72.htm#i3079 And this is his father from North Collingham.......Del.

Margaret in Burton
13-07-12, 13:29
That info doesn't connect them to the Eato's of Langford though.

I am a bit wary that some of the sources on that site are 'letter to the author'.

I wouldn't consider that a proper source. When did the person who wrote the letter get the info from? Was it an official source i.e. a Parish Register or Will etc.

I never use any info from other people unless I can check it myself. I have had so much wrong info sent to me over the years. The problem being that wrong information stays out there and people keep copying it.

I'm not saying that site is wrong, just that I am a little wary of some of the sources.

Del 80
13-07-12, 14:51
Yes I agree Marg, all information needs to be checked thoroughly, I had so much wrong info. when I did my other half's side, and only used it if I had the certificates to back it up. Perhaps one day we shall be able to connect the Eato/Ayto families.....Regards Del.