PDA

View Full Version : Harriet E Burdell ? mystery

garstonite
06-07-12, 05:56
Thank you so much for the help with Catherine Loxton...this next lady is part of the same family ( eventually Garston people)
I have
Oscar W Beck b 1912
he marries in 1936
Agnes Kennedy b 1913..........her mother was Catherine Loxton ( other post )

Oscar W Beck parents are Beck and Burdell
marriage in 1910 for John Beck and Harriet E Burdell
looks like 3 possibles for John Beck - Harriet E Burdell is a mystery ( Possibly Irish ?....can`t post 1911 census , but would like confirmation as to where
Harriet E Beck is born and age in 1911 census in Toxteth or Garston ...
is that allowed ?
I can only find a Harriet BEACK aged 2
allan

Merry
06-07-12, 06:18
Not sure how you didn't find her!!

1911 at 36 Fletcher Street Liverpool S

John Beck head m 32 dock labourer , born Liverpool
Harriet Ellen Beck wife m 28 married under 1 yr, one living child, b Sheffield Yorks
John Beck son 5 months b Liverpool

Merry
06-07-12, 06:25
I had a very quick look for her birth reg, but couldn't find it. She could have been married twice or 101 other things....don't have time to look now.

garstonite
06-07-12, 06:27
Ha Ha ...TOO EARLY ...not awake properly...Thanks very much Merry..
Ok Harriet E Burdell b Sheffield c 1882
thanks again....I will have a good scout around now...could well have been married before like you say .....
allan

Merry
06-07-12, 08:10
Oscar W Beck parents are Beck and Burdell

She probably wasn't prev married as the mmn on Oscar's brth reg is Burdell.

However, I have several birth certs where mum gives her maiden name as her prev married name for all her children's post 1911 certs!

Merry
06-07-12, 08:18
I just looked at what I think is John Beck's army papers on Ancestry, but they finish before he got married, so no help there. He should be missing from the 1901 census as he was in South Africa for the Boer War.

Harriet is being difficult.

Merry
06-07-12, 08:31
Of course most Burdell entries seem to be mistakes for Burdett (or the other way round), but knowing that isn't helping either!

kiterunner
06-07-12, 08:36
FamilySearch has a baptism for Harriet Ellen Burdall 3 Feb 1880 at Wadsley, Ecclesfield, Yorkshire, parents Charles and Mary, and it lists a Harriet Ellen Burdall age 13, niece, born Sheffield, living Sheffield, on the 1891 census. (Ancestry have transcribed her as Dosdall on the 1891.)

kiterunner
06-07-12, 08:39
Birth registered Jan-Mar 1878 Wortley district, Harriet Ellen Burdall. (Sheffield BMD shows district as Ecclesfield, and year of birth as 1877, but doesn't show mother's maiden name, sadly.) But of course we don't know for sure if this is the right person without the marriage cert or something else to confirm it.

garstonite
06-07-12, 08:42
I just looked at what I think is John Beck's army papers on Ancestry, but they finish before he got married, so no help there. He should be missing from the 1901 census as he was in South Africa for the Boer War.

Harriet is being difficult.

Do the Army papers give a year of birth and is it in Liverpool...so many possibles on freebmd
is he West Derby 1879 ?
allan

kiterunner
06-07-12, 08:44
And on the 1881 census ancestry have her as Harriet E Bardell, age 3, niece of the same couple that she was with in 1891 - John Walker born Lincolnshire Gedney, and his wife Ellen born Kent Chatham. In 1891 their names are John Wm Walker and Ellen Elizabeth Walker.

kiterunner
06-07-12, 08:50
Possible for her parents' marriage - from FreeBMD:

Marriages Dec 1868
Bray Martha Islington 1b 479
Bridger Richard Islington 1b 479
Burdall Charles David W Islington 1b 479
Walker Mary Islington 1b 479

John Walker and his wife Ellen were living in London in 1871 when their daughter Rachel was born, so it could be right.

garstonite
06-07-12, 08:52
Thanks very much Kiterunner ...Harriet Ellen Burdall b 1878 Sheffield certainly looks to be very promising ...re the census saying aged 28 b Sheffield.....maybe she was one of those ladies who told little white lies about her age ?
allan
ADDED...can`t believe how fast you type...as I am answering one post - you have typed another 2 ...
looks like it`s all coming together very nicely ...I am so pleased ...I really thought Harriet E was going to be sooo difficult

kiterunner
06-07-12, 08:54
That marriage is on ancestry:
6 Dec 1868 at Islington St Mary:
Charles David Wright Burdall, full age, bachelor, carpenter, father Thomas Burdall carpenter, Mary Walker, full age, spinster, father William Walker, baker. Witnesses Francis Walker and Martha Burdall. Harriet's uncle John Walker was a baker on the censuses so it looks likely to be her parents. But as for this is your Harriet, still don't know!

garstonite
06-07-12, 09:02
Thanks again....really appreciate all the info....I think John Beck /Harriet E Burdell marriage cert is definitely required here ...do you agree ?
allan

kiterunner
06-07-12, 09:32
Yes, I agree.

garstonite
06-07-12, 10:49
Thanks again to everyone....I have all I need for now - before I go further back I will have to get the Marriage cert of John and Harriet Beck ..
cheers
allan