PDA

View Full Version : Christian names

Phoenix
03-07-12, 23:22
Can anyone think of a female Christian name that begins Bro?

Frederick Thearle married Bro... Macdonald in Scotland in 1915.

At least two of their children were born in England.

Frederick died in Chichester in 1966. I cannot find his wife dying or remarrying in England or Scotland.

Any ideas, please?

Phoenix
03-07-12, 23:40
Hmm, I wonder if it is a mistranscription? I get a match on Broug - which doesn't look or sound very convincing!

JBee
03-07-12, 23:41
Scots often have surnames as middle names so it could be Broughton, Brough - do you know any of the grandparents surname which it could be.

I can see on the index it's

KATHERINE BROUG

but often that doesn't contain the whole name especially with a long first name.

JessBow
04-07-12, 04:52
was Going to suggest Brogan, Bronwen

Merry
04-07-12, 06:02
According to some Ancestry trees her name was Catherine Brough MacDonald. I haven't looked to see if I can find her elsewhere yet.

Merry
04-07-12, 06:05
Probably her?

Name: Catherine B Thearle
Birth Date: abt 1893
Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1929
Age at Death: 36
Registration district: Brighton
Inferred County:S ussex
Volume: 2b
Page: 312

Margaret in Burton
04-07-12, 06:11
Bronwyn comes to mind.

Are you sure it couldn't be Bri*?

A lady who used to live near my FIL was called Bridie

Phoenix
04-07-12, 10:04
Ooh, thank you, ladies!

I only registered with Scotlands People last night and it took so long finding a suitable user name that I had little time for searching. I was resorting to taking every female death and trying it in the search engine, but I obviously missed Catherine:o

JBee
04-07-12, 11:04
I just looked up the marriage on scotlandspeople which gave both the bride and grooms name and that's how I got Katherine Broug.... Looks like people on the other trees have got the image and have said its Brough. It was registered as Katherine on the wedding registration.

Could well be a grandparents surname which is quite often used as middle names. OH's mother had 4 middle names which included two surnames of grandparents.

If she died in Scotland then the death would be recorded in both her maiden and married names. So if searching for someone and don't know who they married it's quite useful as it gives her married name too. Found one rellie who'd married 3 times - so the three marriages were recorded on his death certificate.

JBee
04-07-12, 11:13
Just looked on ancestry and saw on some trees that they reckon she died in Brighton in June qtr 1929.

JBee
04-07-12, 11:18
Ok she was born in 1893 in Tradeston district of Glasgow and registered as Catherine Broug..... haven't got enough credits to get the image.

Phoenix
04-07-12, 17:15
Thank you, Julie!

I have just found a death notice for what I think must be her last surviving child - one of those really sad ones, looking for relatives.