PDA

View Full Version : Lamb family in Huntingdonshire in the 1500s and 1600s

ElizabethHerts
30-06-12, 13:06
This isn't a question, more a statement of what I am discovering about the Lamb(e)s of Huntingdon.

I have been transcribing, with the help of Mary from Italy, the will of George Lamb. It has thrown up some interesting information.

One of the people mentioned in the will is "Thomas Beard" or "Dr Beard" or the "Master of the Hospitall in Huntingdon" . It transpires he was the Master of the Grammar School:

Creator Name St John's Hospital & Free Grammar School, Huntingdon
Level Item
Title Presentation of Thomas Beard to the Mastership of the School.
Date 26 February 1603/1604
Reference No 4554/14
Repository Huntingdonshire Archives

Until now I hadn't been able to find a marriage for George's eldest son, also OH's ancestor. His name was Robarte Lamb. Then I came across a marriage on Ancestry, then in an on-line transcription:

Text: Rob'te Lambe to Susan Cervington 05 Sep 1609
Book: Marriage.
They married in Ramsey, Huntingdonshire.

Then I started researching the Cervington family and it transpires that a William Cervington was MP for Huntingdon. This could well be Susan's father, but as yet I have no proof. The Cervingtons appeared to have been well acquainted with the Cromwell family. One Richard Cervington was bailliff "receiver general" to Richard Cromwell at Ramsey in the 1500s. There is also a note later of Oliver Cromwell lodging with William Cervington.

http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/cervington-%28servington%29-william-1603

I have just been scratching the surface of this and it is fascinating to discover family history this far back.

ElizabethHerts
30-06-12, 13:19
Ooooh!

This is interesting:

Piece reference C 5/32/36
Cervington v. Lamb: Lincoln and Northampton

Scope and content
Covering dates 1657
Held by
The National Archives, Kew
Legal status Public Record(s)

Mary from Italy
30-06-12, 14:25
Goodness, you're making fantastic progress with this family!

The Cervingtons appeared to have been well acquainted with the Cromwell family. One Richard Cervington was bailliff "receiver general" to Richard Cromwell at Ramsey in the 1500s. There is also a note later of Oliver Cromwell lodging with William Cervington.

I noticed that in the background file you sent me you have an Olyner Kyng marrying a Lamb in 1607, and I suspect that may be a mistranscription for Olyver. I have no idea if that was a common name in Hunts before Cromwell came to power, though.

ElizabethHerts
30-06-12, 14:41
Mary, he is indeed "Oliver King" and is given in the following:

Creator Name Huntingdon Borough Level Item Title Letter patent of King Charles I Date 15 July 1630 Description The borough is to have a new corporation, constituted "The Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the Borough of Huntingdon." The corporation may have a common seal, and may have and hold for itself a Council House in which to meet. In order "to prevent and remove all occasions of popular tumult and to reduce to certainty and constant order the elections and other public matters and affairs of the said borough" the Common Council is reduced from 24 burgesses to twelve, who will sit for life, one of whom is to be appointed Mayor. The first appointments of aldermen are to be made by the Crown, and they are Lionel Walden, Thomas Phillips, John Peacock, Arthur Ashton, William Patrick, John Barton, Robert Wallis, Thomas Binne, John Abbot, Edmund Robinson, William Bludwick senior, and Oliver King, all gentlemen. Lionel Walden is to be appointed the first Mayor. Future Mayors are to be annually elected by the members of the Common Council, on the first Tuesday following the Feast of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, and to take up office on the Feast of St Michael the Archangel. The Mayor is also to act as Coroner for the borough and as Clerk of the Market of the King's Household within the borough. The Common Council is to appoint a burgess of the town as Recorder, to act instead of the Mayor in the Mayor's absence. The corporation is also to elect "one upright and fit man" to be Common Clerk, and they may also have two Sergeants at Mace, one Keeper of the Gaol, and one Beadle, or more if the Mayor wishes, and also as many Constables and other inferior officers as thought necessary. The Mayor, the High Steward [not previously identified in the text] and the Recorder are appointed Justices of the Peace for the borough, alongside Thomas Beard, Doctor of Divinity, Robert Bernard esq, and Oliver Cromwell esq, burgesses of the borough. All fee farm rents are remitted.

This letter patent was granted in 1630 in order to close down the town's elections, which had been marked by violence over the Fishbourne Bequest in previous years. It was then surrendered in 1686 (HB1/1/15) but came back into force upon the abdication of James II in 1688. The constitution then remained in f
orce as the town's governing document until the passing of the Municipal Corporations Act in 1835."

I have downloaded the will of "Richard Gervington" (mistranscription for Cervington) of 1559 from the TNA website. It is similar handwriting to the will of George Lamb!

I have yet to establish a father for Susan Cervington - it could be an Edward Cervington.

Mary from Italy
30-06-12, 14:47
The Mayor, the High Steward [not previously identified in the text] and the Recorder are appointed Justices of the Peace for the borough, alongside Thomas Beard, Doctor of Divinity, Robert Bernard esq, and Oliver Cromwell esq, burgesses of the borough.

That's interesting; I actually have Oliver Cromwell in my tree, because he's related by marriage to my 10xG-grandmother Eleanor Fulwood, who married Robert Barnard's uncle Baldwin.

ElizabethHerts
30-06-12, 14:49
Mary, that's interesting. It's a fascinating period.

I have found this, so need to order another will!

First name(s): Edward
Last name: CERVINGTON
Date of burial 29 Mar 1599
Age at death:
Calculated year of birth: Not known
Place of burial Ramsey
Dedication: St Thomas a Becket
County: Huntingdonshire

Text: 1599 Cervington, Edward, Ramsey 148
Book: Calendar of Wills Proved and of Administrations Granted in the Commissary Court of the Peculiar and Exempt Jurisdiction of Groby, 1580-1800. (Will)
Collection: Lincolnshire & Huntingdonshire: - Calendar of Lincolnshire Wills, 1601-1652, Calendars of Huntingdonshire Wills, 1479-1652

Phoenix
30-06-12, 14:52
Ooooh!

This is interesting:

Piece reference C 5/32/36

Scope and content
Covering dates 1657
Held by
The National Archives, Kew
Legal status Public Record(s)

Ooh!

The people I know most about were those who had fights in Chancery. Mine were a thoroughly nasty set, but fascinating.

ElizabethHerts
30-06-12, 15:27
Phoenix, I feel a visit to the National Archives approaching!