PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas?

Durham Lady
20-10-09, 09:08
I've had an e-mail from the friend of a friend in Australia who has just started to research her family, here's an extract of what she has to say.

I have found some of the people but I would really like to confirm that it is the people, Do you know how I can get a listing of people buried in cementries in the Swansea and Bournmouth area, or even an email address to speak to some one to try and get the information that I need.

She doesn't mention any dates or names at the moment.
I've directed her to GENUKI and the pages for Wales/Glamorgan and Hampshire and to Genforum where she can leave messages and I have suggested she joins us on the site but if any of you can suggest more for her to start off with I'd be grateful.

Merry
20-10-09, 09:14
I hope she realises Swansea and Bournemouth are not near each other! lol

For Bournemouth - the local council has a very friendly bereavement services office, but you need the date of death details before they will look for you. The last time I was in touch their services were free, but that was a couple of years ago. A lot of places now charge. Bournemouth doesn't have any online cemetery records as far as I know.

Oh, yes - it's still free:

http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/residents/births/deaths/default.asp#Burial / Grave Details

Merry
20-10-09, 09:17
If at a later date she wants anyone to go to any of the Bournemouth cemeteries to photograph graves I would be happy to, but it sounds as if that's a long way off yet! lol

It would be difficult to use the burial records as a way of establishing she has the right people without having the death cert first, which in most cases would mean she would already know if she had the right people (that's not put very well, but I'm sure you get what I mean)

Why don't you suggest she joins us?!!

Durham Lady
20-10-09, 09:28
If at a later date she wants anyone to go to any of the Bournemouth cemeteries to photograph graves I would be happy to, but it sounds as if that's a long way off yet! lol

It would be difficult to use the burial records as a way of establishing she has the right people without having the death cert first, which in most cases would mean she would already know if she had the right people (that's not put very well, but I'm sure you get what I mean)

Why don't you suggest she joins us?!!

Thanks for that Merry, Yes I too hope she realises they are not near each other, I suppose in Aussie terms they are though:d

I've highlighted my first post so you can see I did suggest she join us :d I thought she's maybe like to ask her own questions. I've hopefully explained to her to give as much info of what she has found with names and dates and not to give any names of anyone who might be alive. Her message was sitting in my hotmail account which I've not been able to get into for a couple of months so I hope she gets my reply.

HarrysMum
20-10-09, 09:59
I'm making a round trip of 500kms tomorrow to take a couple of piccies of graves....lol

Merry
20-10-09, 11:13
I'm making a round trip of 500kms tomorrow to take a couple of piccies of graves....lol

How long will that take, Libby?

HarrysMum
21-10-09, 06:11
Just got back......It took about two and a half hours each way. I had to go 200kms for a bone test, so really only went the extra 50kms to the cemetery.

Old cemetery with lots of places snakes could hide. Didn't see any till we were leaving.....at least I didn't see any spiders......lol...you would have heard me scream from your place.