PDA

View Full Version : Wills and Testaments - ScotlandsPeople

kiterunner
21-06-12, 07:07
I've just had this email from Scotland's People:

Wills & Testaments – now available for only 10 credits each!
We have changed the pricing and payment method for purchasing Wills & Testaments documents on the ScotlandsPeople website. Instead of purchasing a Will & Testament through a separate transaction, these documents can now be viewed using ScotlandsPeople credits. As an introductory offer we have also reduced the cost from 5GBP to 10 credits, which is roughly 2.33 GBP!

The pricing for Wills & Testaments was originally based on the average cost for posting out purchased copies to customers. At that time, this was the best way of arranging the price, as the number of pages per document can vary and so did the total cost.

So, in 2005, the records were launched on the ScotlandsPeople website at a cost of 5GBP for a full colour, authentic facsimile of the original document, regardless of the number of pages.

With the merging of NAS (National Archives of Scotland) and GROS (General Register Office for Scotland) to form the National Records of Scotland (NRS) in April 2011, we felt the time was right to reflect the fact that the records are from the same organisation, by standardising the payment process.

We hope that this change makes for an easier and more straightforward process for using these records. As we're currently working on the launch of the new Wills and Testaments for 1902-1925, we thought it was the perfect time to announce this change - we hope you like it!

Olde Crone
21-06-12, 11:28
Thanks for that Kate.

I haven't actually bought any Scottish Wills but I think I feel a splurge coming on as I was rather surprised to find that one or two presumed poor ancestors did in fact leave Wills.

OC

Kit
29-06-12, 02:46
I like the reduced price. I wish it was going to stay though- introductory doesn't sound permanent.

Rachel
29-06-12, 06:40
Ooooooo ~ I only wish I could find gt gt gran's parents and siblings !

My brickwall for 6 years.

Kit
29-06-12, 09:45
Just had a look to see if there was anything I'd really want and clicked on the wrong thing and I was able to download a 23 page will for my 4g uncle using my expired credits.

Janet
30-06-12, 06:49
Wow, Toni, you're cooking with gas.

maggie_4_7
30-06-12, 07:03
Ooh that's good Toni I don't think any of my Scottish ancestors had anything to will to anyone mostly coal miners and shepherds.

Kit
30-06-12, 12:23
Yes very exciting, thanks Janet and Maggie. I wish I could find his father's will as I think his will may have been even better. I've only skimmed the will trying to find who inherited but the first 9 pages details who the executors were and the lands he was talking about. The land obviously has a history as there are dates associated with it, going back 100 years before the will was written.