PDA

View Full Version : 1871 Census lookup - Charlton Kings/Cheltenham area

geniebug
21-06-12, 04:45
It would make more sense if the following read Marylebone and not Manchester - could someone check for me please?

Charles Burgess London Rd, Ch Kings born in Manchester 56

Asa
21-06-12, 05:43
It definitely says Manchester but the eldest daughter Elizabeth is born St Marylebone.

geniebug
21-06-12, 07:42
ok thanks, I was rather hoping it was a mistranscription, as the records show he was apparently really born in Marylebone, Middlesex, London 6 Aug 1814 and married at St Hanovers Middlesex in 1838, but moved to Charlton Kings to work, and where he died. - so I don't know why he would have said "born in Manchester in 1871!!

Merry
21-06-12, 10:03
Maybe he filled in his own form and the enumerator had to decipher his handwriting? Did he have any doctor descendants? :rolleyes:

geniebug
21-06-12, 12:37
Did he have any doctor descendants?

Doctor descendants?

He was a nurseryman, and yes, his kids were (13 of them)
Elizabeth b 12 Jan 1839 Marylebone
Charles b 1840 Glos
Fanny b 1841 Charlton King
Female b 1844 Cheltenham
Laura Ann b 1845 Charlton King
Charles Brown (christian name) b Dec 1846 ?
Mary b 1849 Cheltenham
Joseph b 1850 ?
William Charles b 5 Mar 1852 Charlton King
Harry b 1854 Cheltenham
Henry 1856 ?
Male b 1857 Cheltenham
James Ward (christian name) b 1858 ?

As you can see I don't have ALL their places of birth, or their full birthdates

Both Charles & Elizabeth died in Charlton Kings in 1875 & 1889 resp. - they had a nursery business "The Nurseries" which I believe was in London Road, Charlton Kings.

Merry
21-06-12, 12:41
Doctor descendants?

I just meant because doctors are renowned for their bad handwriting! lol

*slopes away from thread* :o

geniebug
21-06-12, 12:48
Awwwww Merry - come back! I was just dumb, that's all .. lol

Actually most of the family - well the boys, were just nurserymen lol

Merry
21-06-12, 12:56
lol!

At least you have more than one census to look at! I wonder how many people go off on a wild goose chase working with one (wrong) piece of census info? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

geniebug
21-06-12, 13:18
This family was pretty easy, as I said they were nurserymen, that was a good clue.
My great grandfather came out to Australia and worked for the SA Govt in a "nursery" environment, planted some olive trees there which are still standing.
The great great grandfather and great grandfather both committed suicide - and although I have my doubts, I have the coroners inquest for both. Actually got those myself in Glos in 1999 when I was over there.

We were just trying to work out why he said he was from Manchester, which is nowhere near Marylebone lol

Janet
21-06-12, 15:16
Jood, I did a Google search using "Charles Burgess" "Charlton Kings" and came up with a number of interesting hits in Google books. Let me know if you can't get into the links, but I think you probably can. Didn't find anything that says where he was born, but it says he's been there 30 years and more, also describes the large nursery, cites London Road. Haven't been through everything, but curiously enough... Merry?... it looks like there could be a doctor descendant. :d

geniebug
21-06-12, 23:04
Janet, thanks for that, I did key in what you suggested - but unfortunately I didn't find it says he's been there 30 years and more, also describes the large nursery, cites London Road.

I assure you there were no Drs in that family tho lol (purely nurserymen - even the daughter did the books for them)

Janet
22-06-12, 03:04
Here you go, Jood.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Qw_uhPNm8KY/T-PgMjfb_HI/AAAAAAAABVg/fH4aIc4zOw4/s1600/Charles+Burgess.jpg

http://books.google.com/books?id=gOlbAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA1-PA42&lpg=RA1-PA42&dq=%22Charles+Burgess%22+%22Charlton+Kings%22&source=bl&ots=Hjz-FJnsFR&sig=sJvdsFKn62I1QCvrVa1MtVtdN4s&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zTTjT8awJObV0QH9g5WcAw&ved=0CEYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22Charles%20Burgess%22&f=true

geniebug
22-06-12, 03:13
Oooooh thank you Janet, I didn't realise it was you writing to me in the previous message!

That was interesting, but you also said "but it says he's been there 30 years and more, also describes the large nursery, cites London Road". and I can't find that :(

You go to bed now though - naughty girl.

Janet
22-06-12, 03:44
Here's something from www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives called "Examiner 1850 - 1859 [274kb] - Gloucestershire County Council" that includes a line

1856 Jan 9 p5,c6 EVANS JOSEPH NURSERYMAN Of London Road retires in favour of son-in-law Charles Burgess

This is a download of the Excel document that the above line is found in.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=27&ved=0CF0QFjAGOBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gloucestershire.gov.uk%2Farch ives%2FCHttpHandler.ashx%3Fid%3D51409%26p%3D0&ei=zjnjT5LuHIXw0gGGp4XqAw&usg=AFQjCNH3cvCvA06b9ZEOodTsjsMSBM7FVQ

geniebug
22-06-12, 04:26
Without even reading the site Janet, I was extremely excited to read "1856 Jan 9 p5,c6 EVANS JOSEPH NURSERYMAN. Of London Road retires in favour of son-in-law Charles Burgess" as we didn't know that.

We did know that Charles had married Josephs sister!!

Do I have to write to them to get a copy of that??

Now I'll have to find a marriage of Charles Brown Burgess to ***** Evans!

Janet
22-06-12, 05:06
The "30 years" is right up there toward the top of page 41, Jood. And for the Excel spreadsheet, I don't know what the source of that is. I guess you'll have to find a way to track it down. I'm guessing it may have come out of a newspaper called the Examiner, judging from the file name.

Janet
22-06-12, 05:08
Oooooh thank you Janet, I didn't realise it was you writing to me in the previous message!

Jood, doesn't your screen show you my avatar? :confused:

geniebug
22-06-12, 05:21
Jood, doesn't your screen show you my avatar?

I did eventually find it are you sent the cutout Janet - thank you again.

Yes I am so embarrassed :o:o:o - Merry & Marquette were answering me, and I thought it was still them. I just read it too quick :o:o

I now need to ask if someone from the Gloucester Archives area could get photocopies of 3 of the articles for me after I have sent the money over to them. It is over 100% dearer to have them done by the Glos Archives. If they could pm me, that would be great.

Janet
22-06-12, 05:51
That's okay, Jood. :) :) :)

Do you know who the Omwell Lloyd Evans in that file is? Is he part of your story?

1856 Sep 17 p4,c3 EVANS Mr OMWELL LLOYD Serious accident shooting at Postlip

1858 Dec 8 p7,c3 EVANS Mr OMWELL LLOYD Full report of divorce case

1858 Dec 15 p3,c1 EVANS Mr OMWELL LLOYD Result of divorce case

Merry
22-06-12, 06:01
Without even reading the site Janet, I was extremely excited to read "1856 Jan 9 p5,c6 EVANS JOSEPH NURSERYMAN. Of London Road retires in favour of son-in-law Charles Burgess" as we didn't know that.

We did know that Charles had married Josephs sister!!

Surely Charles married Joseph's daughter, not sister, if he is son-in-law? Or Joseph had a son Joseph too, making one brother-in-law and the other father-in-law.

The marriage is in 1838, but I guess you have that!

geniebug
22-06-12, 09:12
Yes Merry, I jumped the gun thinking who the son in law was. Joseph was the older, and his daughter Elizabeth married Charles Burgess. My daughter pulled me up on this! And yes, they were married 1838

No Janet, I noticed Omwell Lloyd Evans - but he's not one of mine