PDA

View Full Version : Grace Muirhead

Sue from Southend
15-06-12, 19:33
I know quite a lot about Grace - except whether she is actually the right mother for James Jones.....:o See the links to her husband http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=12712 and possible son http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=8255

Name - Grace Muirhead
Date and place of birth - 2 Aug 1770, Artichoke Lane, Stepney, Middlesex
Names of parents - Alexander Muirhead and Isabella
Date and place of baptism - 12 Aug 1770, St George in the East, Stepney
Details of each of his or her marriages - Jesse Jones, 27 Sept 1795, St Leonard, Shoreditch
Occupation(s) - Lodging House Keeper
Addresses where they lived -
1796 -1802 - Bishopsgate area
1841 - 1851 Liverpool Street, Middlesex
1861 - Shoreditch, Middlesex (living with daughter and her husband)
Date, place and cause of death - no cert yet but possibly 1863 Lambeth, Surrey as daughter is living in Lambeth in 1871,
Date and place of burial - unknown
Details of will / administration of their estate - none
Memorial inscription - if any

Sue from Southend
15-06-12, 19:48
I don't believe it!

I've been "looking" at these records on and off for years and have only just noticed that in 1841 there is a James Jones b 1800ish a mariner with wife Catherine living next door to Grace. In 1851 Catherine is widow and still living next door to Grace also as a lodging house keeper. All of which means to me that Jesse and Grace are probably NOT my James' parents...

Back to the drawing board!

Feel free to delete this thread if you think it's best Kate!

kiterunner
17-06-12, 13:35
Up to you if you want it deleted, Sue. Let me know if you do. Looks as though we need to have another look at James though to see if we can find anything else.

Sue from Southend
17-06-12, 15:44
I've been "taking another look at James" since my last post Kite!

There are so many to choose from but have taken as a starting point the fact that two of the witnesses at his marriage were William and Sarah Jones, assuming of course that I have the right marriage! There's a possible James born to Luke (transcribed as Robert on Ancestry) and Sarah, 1799, with a brother William and sister Sarah..
But then there's another James born to John William and Margaret Mary with a sister named Esther (one of James Grandaughters was an Esther) and a brother Frederick Charles who was briefly an upholsterer like James (but mainly a jeweller?)

Of those two the first is most likely re place of birth. James states Bishopsgate in 1861 and that baptism gives an address just off Bishopsgate.

So still confused....