PDA

View Full Version : Eton College Register

scuda
14-06-12, 16:26
Does anyone have access to the Eton College Register 1698 - 1752, please? The earlier and later ones seem to be available online, but I can't find this one. If anyone is able to help, I'm looking for the entry for William Pittman from Cirencester who was admitted to King's College Cambridge from Eton in 1721 (I've just discovered him in the Cambridge University Alumni list on Ancestry). I'm hoping the Eton Register will add to the information from the Cambridge list.

scuda

Janet
14-06-12, 17:23
It's not available online. Can you get to a library, scuda? You can enter your location on this website and see if it's available near you. Or maybe some kind person would be able to get to a library for you.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/eton-college-register-1698-1752/oclc/4197110&referer=brief_results

Otherwise AbeBooks.com says it has one available for purchase:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?tn=Eton+College+register,+1698-1752

The Eton College Register 1698-1752
Bookseller: C. Clayton Thompson - Bookseller (Boone, NC, U.S.A.)
Bookseller Rating: 4-star rating
Quantity Available: 1
Price: US$ 23.85
Shipping: US$ 5.50 Within U.S.A.

scuda
15-06-12, 07:25
Janet, You've found about the same as I did when I googled. I don't really want to buy it just for one entry, but if I did resort to that I would go for the CD version which seems to be easily available. As to libraries, there's nothing anywhere near me, and most of the UK ones listed are not public libraries. If all else fails I might try contacting one or two of them.

Thanks for looking.

scuda

Uncle John
15-06-12, 07:55
Can't remember where you are located. People with a UK library ticket can apply for an inter-library loan. It's quite surprising what some libraries are prepared to loan via this route. I got hold of an expensive privately-published book about goldsmiths on inter-library loan from Newcastle University library, all for 50p.

scuda
15-06-12, 16:21
I'm in Devon, Uncle John. Before I investigate an inter-library loan I've decided to go straight to the horses's mouth - I'm going to email the Eton College library, they should be able to help!

scuda