PDA

View Full Version : Lay Preachers

Zoemcdougall
09-06-12, 10:09
My Great greatfather Edward Jones (my Elusive Great grandfather!!)

I was told last night by my Dad that Edward Jones was a Lay Preacher, in North Wales. Would anyone know if there would be any records and if so where could I find them.

Uncle John
09-06-12, 11:07
Very unlikely. You would need to know which non-conformist faith he followed, of which there are many in North Wales. There are (were) several branches of Methodism and Baptists, some of which are Welsh-speaking. There must have been hundreds of Edward Joneses who were lay preachers. So it's a bit of a needle in a haystack. Its not an occupation as such, so it's unlikely there would be a clue in the census.

Zoemcdougall
09-06-12, 11:11
He was also a farmer & one time railway ganger, I know married in a mothodist chapel.

kiterunner
09-06-12, 13:51
I can't remember if you ever looked for an obituary of him? If there is one, it's possible it might have some info about his lay preaching.

Zoemcdougall
09-06-12, 15:43
I hadn't looked for an obituary yet,

Zoemcdougall
09-06-12, 17:41
Kiterunner, how would I search of an obituary,

kiterunner
09-06-12, 18:34
You would need to look at the local newspaper(s) for the place where he was living when he died, for up to about 2-3 weeks from the date of his death. The local studies library for that area will hopefully have the newspaper on microfilm.

Zoemcdougall
09-06-12, 18:38
He died in Rhyl so I'm assuming I would look at the North Wales Daily post as that is the local paper, but he lived in Pendryndeudreath, not sure yet which is there local paper.

Uncle John
09-06-12, 20:22
The nearest town to Penrhyndeudraeth (slightly different spelling!) is Porthmadog, formerly Portmadoc. Wikipedia says the biggest employer was an explosives factory.

Zoemcdougall
09-06-12, 20:46
Sorry to be a pain but not sure how to look for an obituary never done this before

Margaret in Burton
09-06-12, 20:49
Sorry to be a pain but not sure how to look for an obituary never done this before

You'll need to look at local newspapers at the local studies library or County Record office. They won't be online.

Zoemcdougall
09-06-12, 20:55
thankyou think a trip back to north Wales is in order.

Zoemcdougall
10-06-12, 09:20
He was a Lay preacher in Minffordd Chapel, apprerently that is now up for sale.

Uncle John
10-06-12, 13:56
There might have been several chapels in Minffordd, Zoe. Most villages had at least 3. Sorry to be a bit of a damp squib, but religion was very high on the agenda in North Wales.

Zoemcdougall
10-06-12, 15:20
Thankyou, for your reply Uncle John. I know that most of my Family were very religious, My grandmother used to make us go to church 3 times on a sunday, then had to go to sunday school as well. I think a trip wales maybe needed or could get my dad to do instead!

Merry
10-06-12, 15:25
I would definitely try for an obit, Zoe. I have read several for relatives of a lady I know whose ancestors were lay preachers in Denbigh and they all had long, detailed obits in the local papers in the 1950s and 1960s. As UJ said, religion was high on the agenda in North Wales, so people who were involved were well respected and written about.

Zoemcdougall
10-06-12, 16:29
I have just contacted my Dad to ask him if he has obit for grandfather, he has one his wife Mary but wasn't sure if he had one for Edward but is in the process at looking at some old papers so hopefully he'll have something in there for me. I know his daughter Mary was always good at keeping old newspaper cuttings about Minffordd so hoping now they are with my dad, fingers crossed.