PDA

View Full Version : Burial help

Asa
04-06-12, 08:04
I don't suppose anyone can find a burial for this chap, who really should be in the London PRs on Ancestry.

Isaac Anthony Pinot/ Pinet/ Pinnot/ Pinnow etc born in 1708. He was mentioned in his mother-in-law's will which was proved in April 1762 and is of Gun Yard, Petticoat Lane on his son's indentures of 1766. His wife Mary was buried at St Leonard Shoreditch in 1775 and of Bethnal Green. He may well be the widowed Isaac Pinet who married Deberah (sic) Clavering in 1777 at Bethnal Green. There are two variations of the name at Christ Church Spitalfields in 1785 and 1794, a three year old and a 45 year old (my Isaac's son) and a 60 year old in 1790 at St Leonard Shoreditch.

It's possible he moved out of London of course but not likely I wouldn't have thought.

kiterunner
04-06-12, 09:25
I can't see him.

Nell
04-06-12, 09:55
Me neither, sorry, Asa. Perhaps he's been mistranscribed.

Asa
04-06-12, 10:11
Thanks for having a look both of you - always good to know you're not being thick :-)

Phoenix
04-06-12, 13:21
With a name like that, is it possible that he belonged to a French church and those records weren't deposited with LMA?

Asa
04-06-12, 16:22
It's possible Phoenix - he was baptised in a Huguenot church although none of his children were. Did the French churches have burials? All my Huguenot ancestors were buried in East End churches even when they were members of Huguenot churches except in the first half of the C19th and then a few started appearing in other burial grounds.

Phoenix
04-06-12, 17:23
Good question. I really don't know. Nor do I know whether the Huguenots have an online presence, though I do know that they published virtually every available source.

Asa
04-06-12, 18:01
It's not bad at all now - FS has quite a lot of Huguenot baptisms and marriages - always did actually but even more now. Also BMDregisters.co.uk and you can glean some stuff from Google books with all the published folios - which can at least send you in the right direction. I don't think the French Hospital records are available anywhere and of course they're an excellent source. I did most of mine at the LMA though:-)

Kit
05-06-12, 06:07
This might be a stupid question but how do you know what is a huguenot baptism or marriage?

Asa
05-06-12, 07:22
Kit, the obvious answer is if it took place at a Huguenot church - there were about 20? French churches in London alone and they appear on FamilySearch called things like Threadneedle Street French Huguenot church or St Jean French Huguenot Spitalfields. Some families used these for nearly 200 years. Otherwise you're typically just looking at anglicised French names in East End churches so not always easy to know.

Kit
05-06-12, 07:34
ok very obvious. OH and I have some, I think, but I haven't found them in the Huguenot churches and they have anglicised names. I might try the french ones and see if that is where they come from.

Thanks for the info, I don't know much about them obviously.

Asa
05-06-12, 07:38
Not obvious if you don't know:-) Let me know if I can help at all.

Kit
05-06-12, 10:29
Thanks, that's a kind offer.