PDA

View Full Version : 1776 death

geniebug
01-06-12, 10:52
I have just found out the month and year of my ancestor's death, and wondered if there were any resources to find out what day of the month he died.

Mr Abraham Gorringe (could also be spelt Goringe, Goring etc) lived in London. I'd like to find out where he died also. Died August 1776

Phoenix
01-06-12, 10:56
What is the source of your information? That might help narrow things down.

geniebug
01-06-12, 11:02
Would this help? St. Martin's Pauper Biographies Project

I forgot to say he was from the London area. (Sorry, I got interrupted by a phone call, and pressed send without checking what I'd written)

Chris in Sussex
01-06-12, 11:26
FMP

Abraham Gorange (note spelling)
Buried 7 August 1776
St Martins in the Fields Middlesex
Westminster Burials- Transcripts

Chris

geniebug
01-06-12, 11:33
That spellling is a new one on me lol

Thank you so much Chris ;)

geniebug
01-06-12, 22:12
We are all excited to have the burial date for Abraham Gorringe, now we are delving even further back.

One of my rellies in US (I'm in Aus) - wants to get the will of someone even further back whom we think might be related.

She says and I quote

If we could get the death Record or tombstone of Richard Goring who died 1770 (leaving a Will mentioning our Abraham Goring) it might tell us if he was born 1690 which would prove this lineage is correct. Do you know what archive I could contact in London, England to research Richard Goring who left a Will & d. 1770? The money exchange is a problem but some will take 'Pay Pal' which we could sign up for.

Can anyone answer this please?

kiterunner
01-06-12, 22:40
Does his will state where he wanted to be buried?

Merry
01-06-12, 22:40
Do you know which court dealt with the probate of the will in 1770? I take it the will didn't state exactly where Richard lived?

geniebug
01-06-12, 22:44
I have no idea where he wanted to be buried Kate. I've never been able to find who Abraham Gorringe's parents were - and this is an assumption from my US cousin.

Abraham himself was a book-seller in May's Buildings, London - he himself was born 11 November 1731 and died in 1776, London.

All we know is that he had a brother Richard, and my cousin has found an older Richard who died in 1770 and wondered if Abraham might have been mentioned in the will.

Abraham's parents have been enquired about since early 1900!!!

No Merry - no idea - I can only say Abraham lived in London.

kiterunner
01-06-12, 22:47
Sorry, I meant did Richard Goring who died in 1770 say in his will where he wanted to be buried.

geniebug
01-06-12, 22:48
No Kate, but Abrahams family seemed to use St Martin in the Fields Church - for weddings and christenings it would seem.

geniebug
01-06-12, 23:09
Sorry - can you stop looking - that cousin has given me the wrong information.

I don't need Richard Goring's Will at all.

My sincere apologies :(:confused::o

Merry
02-06-12, 06:26
he himself was born 11 November 1731

How do you know that?

geniebug
02-06-12, 07:18
"England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," Abraham Goringe, 1731

No image available
Search collection
About this collection
name: Abraham Goringe
baptism/christening date: 11 Nov 1731
baptism/christening place: St James', Westminister, Middlesex, England
birth date: 11 Nov 1731
birthplace:
death date:
name note:
race:
father's name: John Goringe
father's birthplace:
father's age:
mother's name: Ann
mother's birthplace:
mother's age:
indexing project (batch) number: C13552-5
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 1042308
reference number:
Source Citation
"England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NKTB-1Z4 : accessed 2 June 2012), Abraham Goringe, 1731

Merry
02-06-12, 07:32
Oh, sorry, I thought you meant you didn't know who his parents were!

geniebug
02-06-12, 07:36
I don't know for sure (that they are his parents) - if I could find the marriage of John and an Ann to confirm it- but there isn't any that I know of.

Better still - is finding his brother Richard with the same parents too, but that isn't available either.

We are going to the local LDS soon but need to come up with some serial nos. etc.

Merry
02-06-12, 07:44
How do you know he had a brother, Richard?

Phoenix
02-06-12, 08:24
While you might find all sorts of details about his life - he could have been apprenticed, belonged to a livery company, left a will, been involved in court cases, taken out insurance on property etc etc - the one thing you are very unlikely to find is an extant gravestone.

I know that one of my ancestors wanted to be buried near his pew in St Lawrence Jury. That church has been rebuilt twice since he died.

London would have buried more people than it ever baptised. Pressure on churchyards was huge, to such an extent that huge metropolitan cemeteries were created in the 1800s and the London churchyards declared full. There may be accounts of memorial inscriptions done by antiquarians, but these would represent only a fraction of what might have existed in the past.

geniebug
02-06-12, 09:01
I have Richard's Will leaving everything to his brother Abraham. - in part -
And do hereby nominate, constitute and appoint the said Abraham Gorringe Executor of this my last Will and Testament And I do give and bequeath unto my said Executor all the Rest and Residue of my Estate whatsoever both real and personal hereby revoking and making void

Thanks Phoenix