PDA

View Full Version : No death record

Linny Powell
22-05-12, 17:33
Does anyone have any ideas as to why I can`t find a record of my Grandmothers death or am I doing something wrong.

I have her marriage cert and found a record of her birth.

Mybe some details would help. She was Marjorie Georgina McCarthy nee Hannams born 9th August 1912. She married in 1933. In 1934 she gave birth to my mother on 9th August in Kent. My brother said that she died in childbirth but I was never told that. I know my mum was taken to Malta for a few years and eventually adopted by her Grandparents in Sussex.

Also, it has Georgina Marjorie on birth and Marjorie Georgina on marriage certs.

JBee
22-05-12, 17:49
Could she have died in Malta?

Could try overseas BDM's.

Haven't got sub so can't help there.

Can't find her in the deaths in England either. Wonder if she was known by a different first name and so death was registered in that name.

Merry
22-05-12, 18:40
Did your grandfather remarry, and do you have the certificate if he did?

kiterunner
22-05-12, 18:56
There is a passenger record on Findmypast for Mrs Marjorie McCarthy age 25 of Dalene(?), Bilsham Road, Yapton(?) near Arundel, travelling from Southampton to Malta in 1938 with a 3 year old daughter. Country of future permanent intended residence Malta. So she may well have died in Malta.

Linny Powell
22-05-12, 19:13
There is a passenger record on Findmypast for Mrs Marjorie McCarthy age 25 of Dalene(?), Bilsham Road, Yapton(?) near Arundel, travelling from Southampton to Malta in 1938 with a 3 year old daughter. Country of future permanent intended residence Malta. So she may well have died in Malta.

Oh my goodness! So she didn`t die giving birth?! How strange and sad that my brother was told that. Thank you so much for clearing that up for me, we always thought it was odd that there was no records. Where did you find the info by the way?

I feel quite sad that she told my brother that. Maybe she was too upset about being abandoned.:(

Thank you so much for your help;)

kiterunner
22-05-12, 19:21
She could have died giving birth in Malta, surely? Couldn't she have had a baby who was born and died in Malta?
The passenger list is on findmypast:

www.findmypast.co.uk

It has a section for "Travel and Migration" - Passenger Lists Leaving the UK and it is in there.

Olde Crone
22-05-12, 19:32
I think it was VERY common to tell a child that the mother had died, if she had just "gone away" and wasn't coming back.

There may have been a divorce and the grandparents got custody. Or indeed, she may have died in Malta.

OC

Merry
22-05-12, 19:36
Do you know why she went to Malta?

Linny Powell
22-05-12, 19:37
Ah-ha! Found it, Thanks. Yes, I suppose she could have. I don`t know. Family secrets I guess.

Merry
22-05-12, 19:37
There may have been a divorce

This is why I asked if you had any further marriage certificates for your grandfather.

Linny Powell
22-05-12, 19:43
Her father George Patrick McCarthy was in the navy and at HMS St Angelo I beleive. I can imagine she was told her mum had passed away because she was born with a disability. Maybe easier to tell a child their mother died than say she didn`t want you because you were disabled? Sadly we shall probably never know.

Linny Powell
22-05-12, 19:44
No, I lose track of him after their marriage. I was told he went off to travel the world but turned up on the Isle of Sheppey in the 60`s.

Merry
22-05-12, 19:56
When was he born?

Linny Powell
22-05-12, 20:05
1905 I think. I`ve not found much on him because I got too confused as his father was also George Patrick:confused:

Olde Crone
22-05-12, 20:17
But her mother took her to Malta when she was 3, so didn't reject her because of her disability, or at least not until she was at least three years old.

When did your mother go to live with her grandparents?

There is a marriage of a George P in 1941, in the same area he married the first time.

OC

Merry
22-05-12, 21:01
There is a marriage of a George P in 1941, in the same area he married the first time.

Yes, that's the one I was looking at!

Merry
22-05-12, 21:06
I wonder if this is him with the wrong year of brth?

Name: George Patrick McCarthy
Birth Date: 19 Oct 1903
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1974
Age at Death: 71
Registration district: Chatham
Inferred County: Kent
Volume: 16
Page:0552

This is the same registration district as the death for the wife from the 1941 marriage:

Name: Melva McCarthy
Birth Date: 2 Oct 1916
Date of Registration: Sep 1990
Age at Death: 73
Registration district: Chatham
Inferred County: Kent
Volume: 16
Page: 491

Linny Powell
23-05-12, 20:34
Thanks guys! I will take another look into that tomorrow. I did wonder if he remarried, it looks like he did! There are quite a few records for others I have found where the dates are a year out so probably is him!

My mum was adopted when she was 6. Looking at her photos there are a few at her grandparents house where she looks about 2 years old, I guess she could have been visiting and probably did go to stay there before the adoption.

Thanks for the help!

Linny Powell
23-05-12, 21:42
Ok, so I found a listing for her with Marjorie spelt Marjory in Tabraxia Cemetery in Malta. Seems she died just a few months after travelling there.

Kit
24-05-12, 07:48
Is she alone in the cemetery?

Just thinking if she died in childbirth and there are no other siblings then the baby died too.

kiterunner
24-05-12, 08:03
There isn't another McCarthy listed on there with her, but it could be that she had a stillborn baby and it might not be listed on the burials. But of course it could be that she didn't die in childbirth.

Olde Crone
24-05-12, 08:58
Or she could have died in childbirth but the baby survived and was brought up by its father's relatives in Malta, or where ever.

OC

Kit
24-05-12, 09:36
You're right Kate she may not have died but if there had been a baby buried with her then we'd know for sure.

So Mum was adopted the year before Dad remarried. I'm assuming it was the maternal grandparents who adopted your Mum?

Linny Powell
24-05-12, 20:09
She was adopted by her paternal grandparents. I`m guessing he didn`t go off and travel then if he remarried in Sussex. Again, maybe that is what she was told as to why he wasn`t around or maybe that`s what he told his parents? I wonder if he had more children?

Merry
24-05-12, 21:56
We don't post details of living people on this site without there permission, but there does seem to be a very likely child registered in 1942 in Chatham district. After that it's not so easy to tell as there are a lot of possible births dotted around the country, some in the south east and some not.

Merry
24-05-12, 22:39
We don't post details of living people on this site without their permission, but there does seem to be a very likely child registered in 1942 in Chatham district. After that it's not so easy to tell as there are a lot of possible births dotted around the country, some in the south east and some not.

Mary from Italy
24-05-12, 23:19
Her father George Patrick McCarthy was in the navy and at HMS St Angelo I beleive.

He may have been stationed in Malta and your mother and grandmother went out to join him.

Kit
25-05-12, 02:59
It would be worth getting the death and marriage certificates to see what his occupation was. Maybe he had to travel for work.

bcbrit
29-05-12, 18:30
www.familyrelatives.com has a free index for overseas birth, marriage and deaths. It might be worth checking it out. I think it goes upto the 1950's.

bcbrit