PDA

View Full Version : Jane Ayles or Oiles

Phoenix
19-05-12, 09:52
Jane married William Domoney 22 April 1788 in Iwerne Minster, Dorset. The spelling of her surname depends on whether you go by the parish register or the BTs. I have looked at the originals of both, and it could only be Ailes if miscopied.

She died in Iwerne and was buried 23 July 1835, aged 73.

I cannot find a convincing baptism for her, but her children were christened in batches, which suggests nonconformity.

She outlived at least five of her children. Because this is before civil registration I have no cause of death for them, but suspect tuberculosis.

I have found no will for her (or her husband) and do not know whether there was a gravestone.

kiterunner
19-05-12, 18:36
There's a baptism on ancestry transcribed as Jane Ogles, daughter of Stephen and Lydia, 15 Jun 1767 at Lydlinch; I think the surname looks more like Oyles (see attached image).

There is a Mary Isles baptised there in 1783 with parents Stephen and Lydia, also Elizabeth 1762 and Stephen 1768 who ancestry also have as Ogles, but I think it looks like Oyles on the images, especially clear on Stephen's, and William and James in 1772 who ancestry have transcribed as Oyles (well, they transcribed William as Oyles, they didn't bother transcribing James at all.)

Could that be her family?

kiterunner
19-05-12, 18:44
By the way, her surname is very clearly Oiles on the banns register.

Phoenix
19-05-12, 21:04
Thanks, Kite! I knew the Oiles was very clear, and the Ayles, with a sharp, not a rounded A. It doesn't help that some transcribers have recorded it as Byles!

I've had a root round on the OPC page for Lydlinch, and Stephen arrives to marry Lydia Trim (who already has a bastard daughter to her name) and considerately dies in 1811, so I have no idea of his age.

It's quite feasible that that is my Jane, but I should have liked either the age to have been a little closer to her given age at burial or her to have given Stephen or Lydia as names to her children.

I wish I knew more about Dorset and the way people moved around there. Lydlinch and Iwerne M are only 8 miles apart as the crow flies. And there's no marriage or death of a Jane in the parish, while the name is spelled every which way including, possibly, Jules!

Merry
19-05-12, 23:07
I wish I knew more about Dorset and the way people moved around there.

I have two major lines who were in Dorset 1650s onwards and about 1730 onwards.

The 1730 lot were all linked to the sea by their jobs and all stayed in the same place (Weymouth) until some started to move away (but not to other Dorset places - ports, Liverpool and London) from about 1850+.

However the ag lab line (1650s+) in more inland parishes were all over the place. I'm wondering if I even have one family who had all their children baptised in the same parish? It has made chasing them round very difficult as I did all this quite a few years ago!

Phoenix
20-05-12, 17:52
I have two major lines who were in Dorset 1650s onwards and about 1730 onwards.

The 1730 lot were all linked to the sea by their jobs and all stayed in the same place (Weymouth) until some started to move away (but not to other Dorset places - ports, Liverpool and London) from about 1850+.

However the ag lab line (1650s+) in more inland parishes were all over the place. I'm wondering if I even have one family who had all their children baptised in the same parish? It has made chasing them round very difficult as I did all this quite a few years ago!

I've got an Octavia in one family who appears to be the seventh child, but then I've only found the family in four parishes so far.:D