PDA

View Full Version : Ann Satchell

Phoenix
19-05-12, 01:11
Ann Satchell married Robert Domoney 25 June 1757 in Iwerne Minster, Dorset and was buried in the parish 17 June 1802, aged 69.

So she was born approx 1733.

Her children were:

William
Honour
Betty
Robert
Richard
Jean
Family search throws up

Edward bp 1731
Ann bp 1734
Betty bp 1741
all children of John & Honour & baptised in Punchknowle

Edward Satchel , Shepherd, of Winterborne Came marries Elizabeth Groves in Godmanstone 13 Feb 1758

Edwd & Elizth have children at Bradford Peveril between Honour b 1764 & Ann 1775.

Gut instinct says I have found the correct baptism for Ann, and also found her brother. Their parents appear to have both died when the children were young, in Punchknowle. My problem is that Punchknowle is nowhere near Iwerne Minster.

Ancestry is driving me mad as if keeps throwing up impossible selections. Can anyone see any other candidates for Ann in the right period?

Merry
19-05-12, 07:14
I have played with the search facility on the Dorset OPC site, but not found anything suggesting another family (but the search is not a great facility).

I also saw this marriage in Punchknowle:

1727 16 Nov; John SACHEL otp & Honour PRESLEY otp

There do seem a be a lot of people called Honour in some of these parishes at the time you are looking for.

Phoenix
19-05-12, 09:37
I have played with the search facility on the Dorset OPC site, but not found anything suggesting another family (but the search is not a great facility).

I also saw this marriage in Punchknowle:

1727 16 Nov; John SACHEL otp & Honour PRESLEY otp

There do seem a be a lot of people called Honour in some of these parishes at the time you are looking for.

Thank you, Merry! One of the problems with Dorset is that so many of the parishes that I am interested in have suffered fires which have destroyed - perhaps not all of the registers - but just the period I want. Without knowing what the gaps are I cannot make informed judgements.

It's useful to know that there are a lot of Honours about. Every attempt I have made to search for the name in connection with Satchell only threw up what's above - plus a couple of burials at Dewlish.

Merry
19-05-12, 10:41
Satchel often seems to be written/transcribed as Sachel and Honour as Honnor or Honner which might possibly lead to more entries on the Dorset OPC.

kiterunner
19-05-12, 12:29
Witnesses at Ann Satchell's marriage to Robert Domoney were Edward Deal and Thomas Watts, if that's any help. Thomas Watts looks to be a serial witness, though.
And witnesses at Edward Satchel's marriage to Elizabeth Groves were John Kellaway and Joseph Yeats.

kiterunner
19-05-12, 12:31
Also Satchwell looks to be a variation of the name.