PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone find the Faireys?

Joan of Archives
18-10-09, 12:21
I've lost them after 1871!

This is Isaac & Matilda/Phoebe Fairey in 1871 :

Class: RG10; Piece: 3850; Folio: 24; Page: 13; GSU roll: 841929.

Isaac Fairey 42 Born Hackney
Matilda Phoebe Fairey 32 born Buckinghamshire
Alfred Isaac Fairey 8
Francis Frederick Fairey 6
Matilda Fairey 4
Edith Fairey 3
Eleanor Anna Fairey 6 months

Can anyone find them after 1871? I can't find any deaths nor do they seem to be on any passenger lists! Am I imagining them? lol!

Merry
18-10-09, 12:51
Are they at the bottom of the garden? :)

maggie_4_7
18-10-09, 12:59
Could this be Alfred?

RG11; Piece: 1782; Folio: 111; Page: 8

and a Matilda Fairey?

RG11; Piece: 1470; Folio: 126; Page: 8

Probably not yours.

Edit to say: I think they may be yours I found a Eleanor and an Edith as orphans

RG11; Piece: 1747; Folio: 87; Page: 20

I can't actually load images at the moment all morning Ancestry has been playing up.

Joan of Archives
18-10-09, 13:16
Are they at the bottom of the garden? :)

:( :p:p

Joan of Archives
18-10-09, 13:22
Could this be Alfred?

RG11; Piece: 1782; Folio: 111; Page: 8

and a Matilda Fairey?

RG11; Piece: 1470; Folio: 126; Page: 8

Probably not yours.

Edit to say: I think they may be yours I found a Eleanor and an Edith as orphans

RG11; Piece: 1747; Folio: 87; Page: 20

I can't actually load images at the moment all morning Ancestry has been playing up.

Thanks Maggie I think Alfred fits but the others don't have the right place of birth?

maggie_4_7
18-10-09, 13:27
I think the place of birth is wrong. They were living in West Derby before which is in Liverpool I think its an assumption that they were born there.

I really do think both those birth places Wales and Liverpool are wrong.

I just looked at the image and it says for Edith's Place of birth Liverpool, Wales!!! For Eleanor it just says Liverpool and the children from then on have no place of birth listed.

maggie_4_7
18-10-09, 13:57
Thanks Maggie I think Alfred fits but the others don't have the right place of birth?

On the 1871 Eleanor's place of birth is Toxteth Park that is Liverpool and Matilda's birth place is Wales!

Joan of Archives
18-10-09, 14:03
Lol Maggie, yes Matilda was born in Cardiff but Edith wasn't?? :confused:

maggie_4_7
18-10-09, 14:05

I actually do believe they are your Faireys I think they have confused where each were born. They moved around quite a lot it seems.

maggie_4_7
18-10-09, 14:49

Joan

On my travels I saw a lot of trees on Ancestry with Isaac on are these yours?

Joan of Archives
18-10-09, 16:31
Really Maggie? well Matilda was related to me, just nipping off for a look now thanks!

Joan of Archives
18-10-09, 16:39
Maggie I think I've found Matilda Phoebe remarried in 1881

Class: RG11; Piece: 1493; Folio: 10; Page: 11;GSU roll: 1341361.

She married a Richard Piddington in 18810. What do you think? If that's her, what were the daughters doing in an orphanage? :confused:

Joan of Archives
18-10-09, 16:43
I think she married again in 1897 in Sheppey Kent! Goodness she got about a bit didn't she? :d

maggie_4_7
18-10-09, 16:53
Maggie I think I've found Matilda Phoebe remarried in 1881

Class: RG11; Piece: 1493; Folio: 10; Page: 11;GSU roll: 1341361.

She married a Richard Piddington in 18810. What do you think? If that's her, what were the daughters doing in an orphanage? :confused:

Maybe she abandoned them or couldn't look after them when Isaac died I have a feeling they had another child in 1876 Christopher Joseph Fairey born West Derby! Possibility.

Does she have any children with her on the 1881?

Edit: Just looked at it. Its definitely her she has Christopher with her... I expect the Piddington children aren't hers! She must have abandoned Edith and Eleanor. I think the whole family got about a bit but that might of had something to do with Isaac's occupation ships steward. The reason they were in Liverpool in 1871 was because a lot of ships were in Liverpool dock. Lots of jobs on passenger ships departing to Australia and the USA.

Well I think you've sussed out the mystery. I think Isaac died at sea in or around 1879 or possibly in a foreign port or he may have deserted Matilda and stayed in a foreign port thinking it better than returning.

maggie_4_7
18-10-09, 17:33
...and here is Matilda again in 1891

RG12; Piece: 99; Folio 11; Page 15

In Marylebone she certainly did get about :)

Joan of Archives
18-10-09, 18:53
...and here is Matilda again in 1891

RG12; Piece: 99; Folio 11; Page 15

In Marylebone she certainly did get about :)

That's definitely her Maggie thanks!

I don't know why I didn't spot her earlier lol! :d

The Esther Fleet further down is her mother.

maggie_4_7
18-10-09, 19:41
It would be nice to know what happened to Isaac though...

:)

Also the Fairey children. I wonder why she didn't keep Edith and Eleanor perhaps her new husband didn't want them but was okay for the small baby!

By the way if that is Edith and Eleanor and I think it is that was a Banardo's home. If it was the right Edith I think she became a nurse.

Aussieline
03-11-11, 04:42
Hi Joan and Maggie, I know it is a while since this conversation, but I am a descendant of Isaac Fairey who married Matilda Fleet, and was wondering how your research is progressing. My grandfather was raised by his aunt Matilda Fairey who was married to Henry Bowden. My grandfather's father is thought to be Alfred Fairy and his mother was Alice Brown who later married Christopher Fairey, Alfred's brother. My grandfather changed his name, by deed poll, from Brown (mother's name on birth certificate) to Bowden when he arrived in Australia after WW1.
Cheers
Jenny

Janet
03-11-11, 05:38
Welcome Aussieline!

Well I think you've sussed out the mystery. I think Isaac died at sea in or around 1879 or possibly in a foreign port or he may have deserted Matilda and stayed in a foreign port thinking it better than returning.

In late 1879 Isaac's son doesn't say he's deceased, but if he died at sea or overseas maybe the son didn't know yet.

Lancs OPC:
Marriage: 14 Dec 1879 St George, Everton, Lancashire, England
William Joseph Thrower Fairey - 22 Joiner Bachelor of 35 Hibbert Street
Elizabeth Jane Howlan - 20 Spinster of 35 Hibbert Street
Groom's Father: Isaac Fairey, Ship Steward
Bride's Father: Thomas Howlan, deceased, Shipwright
Witness: Frances Stranny; William Holland
Married by Banns by: H. J. Langley Curate
Register: Marriages 1878 - 1882, Page 86, Entry 172
Source: LDS Film 2147878

maggie_4_7
03-11-11, 12:59
Oooh welcome Aussieline.

I am just remembering this not sure if Joan has seen your post yet.

Will log on tonight to have a better read on iPhone at the moment.

maggie_4_7
03-11-11, 18:03
Hi Joan and Maggie, I know it is a while since this conversation, but I am a descendant of Isaac Fairey who married Matilda Fleet, and was wondering how your research is progressing. My grandfather was raised by his aunt Matilda Fairey who was married to Henry Bowden. My grandfather's father is thought to be Alfred Fairy and his mother was Alice Brown who later married Christopher Fairey, Alfred's brother. My grandfather changed his name, by deed poll, from Brown (mother's name on birth certificate) to Bowden when he arrived in Australia after WW1.
Cheers
Jenny

I think I've got it your grandfather was brought up by his paternal aunt Matilda Fairey and her husband Henry Bowden although his biological father was her brother Alfred Isaac Fairey and his mother was Ann Brown, Ann then married Alfred Isaac Fairy and his sister Matilda Fairey's baby brother Christopher Fairey.

I haven't looked at the marriages but were Alfred and Ann married and did Alfred die and then she married again?

maggie_4_7
03-11-11, 18:07
Welcome Aussieline!

In late 1879 Isaac's son doesn't say he's deceased, but if he died at sea or overseas maybe the son didn't know yet.

Lancs OPC:
Marriage: 14 Dec 1879 St George, Everton, Lancashire, England
William Joseph Thrower Fairey - 22 Joiner Bachelor of 35 Hibbert Street
Elizabeth Jane Howlan - 20 Spinster of 35 Hibbert Street
Groom's Father: Isaac Fairey, Ship Steward
Bride's Father: Thomas Howlan, deceased, Shipwright
Witness: Frances Stranny; William Holland
Married by Banns by: H. J. Langley Curate
Register: Marriages 1878 - 1882, Page 86, Entry 172
Source: LDS Film 2147878

That means Thomas was born in 1857 he isn't on Joan's list and I don't remember seeing him on the census I've looked at but it was a long time ago and Isaac Fairey wouldn't have a been a common name I wouldn't have thought plus its the right occupation, so another child/son emerges.

Janet
03-11-11, 20:54
You meant William was born in 1857, Maggie. (Thomas is father of the bride.)
If you Google William Joseph Thrower Fairey you get a ton of hits.

Aussieline
03-11-11, 21:33
Hi Maggie

Alfred Isaac Fairey did not marry my greatgrandmother, Alice Brown. I have been told he died in 1897, the year my grandfather was born, and apparently he had been previously married so I don't know what was going on but maybe Alfred had left his marriage he and and Alice lived together or maybe it was an affair. In any case he died and my grandfather was raised by Alfred's sister, Matilda and her husband Henry Bowden. I believe Grandpa did not know his true parentage until he incidentally found out when joining the Royal Navy. Grandpa came to Australia at the end of WW1 and never returned to England. I have just this week made contact with a 3rd cousin from the line of Isaac Fairey (son of Joseph Fairey and Esther Hack) and his first wife; and my father's previously lost cousin who is the grandson of Christopher Joseph Fairey and Alice Brown, who married 7 months after my grandfather was born and had a son who was 13 months younger than my grandfather.
I'd love to know more about all these people.
Cheers
Jenny

maggie_4_7
04-11-11, 05:35
You meant William was born in 1857, Maggie. (Thomas is father of the bride.)
If you Google William Joseph Thrower Fairey you get a ton of hits.

Yep I do I must have had a Thomas on my mind when typing.

Can't find him on a census but I only had a cursory look last night. I'll look again tonight.

What do you find on google?

Merry
04-11-11, 06:04
Alfred Isaac Fairey did not marry my greatgrandmother, Alice Brown. I have been told he died in 1897, the year my grandfather was born, and apparently he had been previously married so I don't know what was going on but maybe Alfred had left his marriage he and and Alice lived together or maybe it was an affair.

I've not read all this thread properly, but did see that Alfred Isaac married Matilda Mary Ann Jones in 1886. They are together in 1891, no children. As you said, he died in 1897 and in 1901 Matilda is a boarding house leeper (still no children with her). Alfred left a will (says his occ was sanitary inspector) and Matilda is the executor. She died in 1912 and her executors were mainly Jones's (most likely relations of hers).

Earlier on the thread someone (Joan?) asked why children with one parent were in an orphanage. In those days you didn't need to have lost both parents to be classed as an orphan. From memory, my 1950s dictionary states something like "a child who has lost one or both parents and lacks parental support".

garstonite
09-11-11, 07:53
For the record , there are quite a lot of Fairey /Farrie /Fairy in the South Liverpool area..800 yards from my home is St Marys,Grassendale which has a few Farries recorded...Walton / Everton /Toxteth seem to be the most Liverpool regions where they resided........is it Irish ?...the name seems to appear as the potato famine came into effect....so many Irish crossed to Liverpool at this time ...ie 1840`s ...though the first in Liverpool on lan-opc is 1836.....allan