PDA

View Full Version : Australia help - John Smith Kendall

Tom Tom
07-05-12, 13:06
Hello everyone, I wonder if someone could help please.

I am trying to help a friend who is working on a local history project for use with children.

It includes a man names John Smith Kendall who was born in 1829 in Horsforth, Yorkshire and died in 1890 in Horsforth.

I have his birth and marriage details and have him on the 1881 census.

He went across to Australia, reason unknown, and I wondered if anyone could help with any details at all about his time in Australia. He went at some point between 1853 and 1861 and returned before 1881.

Taken from children's details on 1881 census:

In 1862 he was in Williams Town.
In 1865 he was in Maryborough.
In 1869 he was in Melbourne.

According to his gravestone he has four children who died in Melbourne, so I would imagine they were there for some time.

Thanks for looking.

Tom

tenterfieldjulie
07-05-12, 13:17
Tom, Maryborough is in Qld, but also was a gold mining area in Victoria.
I think it is possible that if he was in that area at that stage he was chasing gold.
He might have made his fortune and then returned to UK.
Have you found him in the 1851 Census? Julie

Tom Tom
07-05-12, 13:19
Hi Julie,

Yes in 1851 he is with his Mother in Guiseley, Yorkshire.

He married in 1852 in Leeds and had a daughter in England in 1853.

He was a stone mason by trade.

kiterunner
07-05-12, 13:44
Some of the children's deaths are on the Australian Death Index on ancestry, not sure whether you already have their names and dates?
John Smith Kendall died 1861 Victoria age 1
Harriet Kendall died 1863 Victoria age 8
Robert Kendall died 1865 Victoria age 7

kiterunner
07-05-12, 13:48
And from the Australian Birth Index on ancestry:
Harriott Kendall born 1855 Richmond, Victoria,
John Smith Kendall born 1860 Collingwood, Victoria,
Emily Kendall born 1868 Collingwood, Victoria.

all with parents John Smith Kendall and Hannah.

kiterunner
07-05-12, 13:57
You can order copies of the certificates from Victoria BMD to get more info about John's occupation there and where exactly they were living:
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria

I'm not sure how much it costs but you can order an "uncertified image" which will be cheaper than an actual certificate.

But maybe we can find some info on Trove (Australian Historical Newspapers).

kiterunner
07-05-12, 14:11
I can't find anything about them on Trove, sorry.

Tom Tom
07-05-12, 14:50
Thanks Kate.

His children who died in Melbourne were called Harriet, Robert, John Smith and Sarah. I don't suppose there is a death for Sarah that you can see?

I'll have a look to see how much certificates cost as it would be very interesting to see what his occupation out there was.

Thanks for your help.

kiterunner
07-05-12, 15:02
Yes, ancestry has her death - Sarah Kendall died 1865 Victoria, parents John and Hannah.

kiterunner
07-05-12, 15:03
Also her birth - Sarah Kendall born 1864 Maryborough, Victoria. They have her parents listed as John Kendall and Hannah Smith.

Tom Tom
07-05-12, 15:06
Thanks Kate.

kiterunner
07-05-12, 15:07
There are some sample certs on this site, including an 1855 Victoria birth cert so you can see there could be a lot of useful information on it:
http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/2308687/posts

marquette
08-05-12, 10:58
Three of the children are buried at Melbourne General Cemetery, and according to my transcription CD, the headstone says

KENDALL
In rememberance of
John
Son of John and Hannah Kendall
Late of Horsforth near Leeds Yorkshire
who died 23 April 1861 aged 13 months
also
Harriott
daughter of above
who died 1 May 1863 aged 8 years
also
Robert
who died 13 May 1865, age 7 years.

They all died within the same month, each two years apart.

There is no mention of Sarah however.

Durham Lady
08-05-12, 11:31
Tom if you want any certificates from NSW or Victoria I'd recommend getting Transcriptions and using Joy Murrin. She is wonderful and has helped me several times. You do need to find the details needed for the forms, all done online.
Have a look at her site and all the details of what you need are there with links to various BMD sites.

http://www.joymurrin.com.au/

marquette
08-05-12, 11:54
I don't think you can get transcriptions from Victoria, but you can get the images on-line - you can download them immediately, for about AUD 17.50 ( if the price hasnt changed), which is about half the price of getting a paper copy, and heaps quicker.

Di

Tom Tom
08-05-12, 16:08
Thanks everyone. :)

That transcript is really useful Marquette, many thanks.

Kit
09-05-12, 01:35
You can order copies of the certificates from Victoria BMD to get more info about John's occupation there and where exactly they were living:
https://online.justice.vic.gov.au/bdm/index-search?action=getHistIdxSearchCriteria

I'm not sure how much it costs but you can order an "uncertified image" which will be cheaper than an actual certificate.

The uncertified images are $17.50 and are emailed quite quickly.The certificates are $27.50.

Tom if you want any certificates from NSW or Victoria I'd recommend getting Transcriptions and using Joy Murrin. She is wonderful and has helped me several times. You do need to find the details needed for the forms, all done online.
Have a look at her site and all the details of what you need are there with links to various BMD sites.

Joy Murrin lives in NSW and there isn't a transcription system in VIC. Go directly to the Victorian BMDs site and order there.

I use a different NSW transcription service provided by Marilyn Rowan. I've met her and she is lovely. Marilyn just provides a link to VIC BMDs. She doesn't try to profit from it. I feel Joy Murrin Family History Services in a bit unethical charging to obtain a certificate when you could simply search yourself. http://www.transcriptions.com.au/

Uncle John
09-05-12, 18:55
He went across to Australia, reason unknown, and I wondered if anyone could help with any details at all about his time in Australia. He went at some point between 1853 and 1861 and returned before 1881.

Just to reinforce what has already been said (I haven't been on for a couple of days), my ancestor was busy in the mid to late 1850s transporting gold prospectors to Melbourne and shipping the gold back to England. Just for a change he also took some troops to quell the Indian Mutiny.