PDA

View Full Version : Will question

Sue from Southend
07-05-12, 11:34
I have just downloaded a Will from TNA dated 1742. It's of John Charpentier. He makes bequests to his wife, father (if still living) and his unnamed brothers and sisters. He then goes on to appoint his brother Peter and a Mr Ragnoneau (possibly!) as executors. There is then a note dated 1769 appointing Jonathan Charpentier as the "lawful Attorney of Charles Ragnoneau, the surviving executor .... now residing in Beverley, Yorkshire"

My question is - Would Jonathan Charpentier have to be a "proper" attorney or could he just be another of John Charpentier's brothers or sons? Was the term Attorney just being used as "representative"? And any idea about the 27year wait?

I hope this makes sense!

Phoenix
07-05-12, 12:01
Most people don't make wills unless they forsee the possibility of dying and the wrong people getting their hands on the loot. This sort of action is usually prompted by a final illness, but could also be because of a family death or a voyage overseas. Most people if they know they are going to die will amend any pre-existing wills.

I have an instance where a will is discovered and proved (conveniently restoring any surviving property to the bosom of his family) when, had the testator not been a ne'er do well, it should patently have gone to his widow & sons.

Olde Crone
07-05-12, 12:07
For once, I disagree with Phoenix!

I made my Will 22 years ago and have seen no need to change it since. I am hoping it will be considerably older than 27 years when I finally take my leave of you all!

OC

Phoenix
07-05-12, 12:29
Ahem, I suspect that all your children were born at that date, OC, and that your will is sufficiently well made to cover most eventualities. Most wills pre 1858 were made by men, who could have worked their way through innumerable spouses. I found one that baffled me, until I realised that the 70+ testator had remarried, and forty years separated his eldest and youngest children.

kiterunner
07-05-12, 12:55
The first meaning given in Chambers dictionary for attorney is "a person legally authorized to act for another" so I think it is probably being used in that sense, i.e. he had been granted "power of attorney" rather than actually being professionally qualified as a lawyer.

Sue from Southend
07-05-12, 13:10
Thanks Kate - that's what I thought, I just wanted someone to agree with me! Now to try and work out the relationship.....