PDA

View Full Version : Family Search

Sabrina
27-04-12, 18:25
Does anyone understand it?

How can you tell whether a result on the new Family Search is extracted from the parish records, or is user submitted?

I thought it was if the entry had a source film number, but I am not convinced! :confused:

kiterunner
27-04-12, 18:30
Any user submitted entries would appear in the "Family Trees" section, Sabrina. I never look at that part, only the "Historical Records" part.

Sabrina
27-04-12, 18:38
Thank you KR! That's good to know, I don't want the fictitious stuff!

I really don't like this new site. How is it that when you ask for a marriage say, between 1800 and 1820 in England, and you are presented with US census returns for 1870? :rolleyes:

kiterunner
27-04-12, 18:46
It takes a bit of getting used to, that's for sure. I think it is looking for people who could have got married between 1800 and 1820, not just the actual marriage. But you can use the "filter your results by" and select "Collections - Birth, Marriage & Death" to get rid of the census results. Unfortunately some BMD's come under "Collections - Other" so you may then have to look at that too.

Merry
27-04-12, 18:51
I didn't like it to begin with, but have got used to it now. The best part is you can do all those searches prohibited by the old search - eg searching for two surnames marrying each other or a parent search with ony one parent.....

Sabrina
27-04-12, 18:54
Oh yes, thanks, that's a bit better! I do find it such a frustrating site to use!

Sabrina
27-04-12, 18:55
Merry, I haven't used it much I must confess. I stuck to the old one as long as I could.

kiterunner
27-04-12, 19:20
Now it says
The www.familysearch.org website is in the process of being updated. Thank you for your patience.

I wonder what they're doing?

Sabrina
27-04-12, 19:21
lol, now it's not available. Perhaps I broke it!