PDA

View Full Version : WW1 Army records on ancestry

Kit
17-10-09, 11:01
Could someone please have a look for me?

Wilfred Leslie Leonard Clarke, occassionally known as William, received a medal in WW1. He was born in 1884 in India but was a british subject.

I haven't yet researched the medal so I can't give any help as to what it might be for.

kiterunner
17-10-09, 11:07
What medal was it, Kit?

Kit
17-10-09, 11:16
Can't remember offhand. I was too lazy to get it.

It had something about King George V and one of the words on the back was volunteer.

I'll go and get it.

Kit
17-10-09, 11:22
I don't know what medal it is. I was told it was for being in WW1.

The front has a picture of King George V and the back says "For long service in the volunteer force".

It is a round medal and the writing is over a picture of a wreath.

maggie_4_7
17-10-09, 11:59
There's tons of them.

Whereabouts was he living just before WWI?

Do you have a vague idea about regiment?

Mary from Italy
17-10-09, 12:01
Is this the medal?

http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/dept/coins/collection/watson/page388.html

The information here says that the Volunteer Force was disbanded in 1908:

http://www.fitzmuseum.cam.ac.uk/dept/coins/collection/watson/page203.html

Kit
17-10-09, 21:43
Mary the first link shows the medal. So it doesn't seem Wilfred was in WW1 unless he transferred to the new Territorial Reserve and they fought in the war.

To get the medal you had to be an active member in 1893. Just thinking though Wilfred was 9 in 1893 so it seems unlikely it would be his medal doesn't it? So I wonder whose medal it is?

I have a couple of WW2 medals as well and the ribbons have all detached from the medals so I'll have to google to see what ribbon goes with what medal but the special yellow,red,black ribbon is not there. But I am one ribbon short. My OH says he may have missed a ribbon when he found them.

So Wilfred may have been in WW1. In answer to Maggie's question I believe Wilfred would have been in India prior to the war, but don't know for sure.

tinkerbe
18-10-09, 12:26
I thought ww1 medals had name of owner around the edge it

Kit
18-10-09, 20:54
From what I've read you are correct Tinkerbe. The medal I have is not a WW1 medal.