PDA

View Full Version : Frances WESTON

Val in Oz
28-03-12, 11:00
Birth.......not known

Married to Thomas Gurner a publican 24/8/1826 @ Stroud Gloucester.

Children: Thomas George Gurner baptised 30/12/1827 @ Stroud
Charlotte Skelton Gurner baptised 21/6/1829 @ Stroud

This is all I know about Frances - but some interesting middle names appear for children over the next two generations that made me wonder if they were previous surnames connected to Frances' line as I haven't found them elsewhere in the family history.

The names were SKELTON and also GODOLPHIN which was a middle name given to one of Charlotte's children.

kiterunner
28-03-12, 12:22
On the 1851 census, Thomas jr (if I've found the right person!) is down as "brother" to a Henry Graves (or Groves?), who is unmarried, age 22, born St Ives Huntingdon. Thomas also unmarried, age 24, born Stroud Glo'ster. Henry is a lever escarpment maker and Thomas a lever escarpment finisher. Living at 17 Percival Street, Clerkenwell, Middlesex. I wonder whether the "brother" bit is a mistake?
I found both Thomas jr and Charlotte on the 1841 census but neither with a parent so I wonder if they were orphans?

kiterunner
28-03-12, 12:45
There's a marriage on FamilySearch between a George Holford and Frances Gurner 2 Feb 1834 at Rodborough, Gloucestershire, and Rodborough is very close to Stroud so I wonder if it could be the same Frances? I haven't managed to find it anywhere that would say if she was a widow or spinster.

Also there is a will listed for George Holford, a victualler of Stroud, 1838.
http://ww3.gloucestershire.gov.uk/genealogy/Search.aspx

Sabrina
28-03-12, 15:59
On the 1851 census, Thomas jr (if I've found the right person!) is down as "brother" to a Henry Graves (or Groves?), who is unmarried, age 22, born St Ives Huntingdon. Thomas also unmarried, age 24, born Stroud Glo'ster. Henry is a lever escarpment maker and Thomas a lever escarpment finisher. Living at 17 Percival Street, Clerkenwell, Middlesex. I wonder whether the "brother" bit is a mistake?

It appears that Charlotte Skelton Gurner married a Henry Allpress Graves, watch-maker, on 27 Nov 1852, Hoxton, Middlesex.

kiterunner
28-03-12, 16:25
Oh right, so they may have already been engaged at the time of the 1851 census.

Val in Oz
28-03-12, 22:34
Thankyou very much for the marriage information for Frances Gurner to George Holford, I hadn't known that, and as he is in the 'victualling' trade also I would say that fits. I shall look for the death of Thomas Gurner now before that date.
If the Will is for that George Holdford then she wasn't married to him for long - only 4 years - so I will now turn in that direction to see what I can find for their marriage/ and his death.
That would also account for why young Thomas and Charlotte weren't with their parents in the 1841 census.

Sabrina, Charlotte did marry Henry (Harry) Graves so must have met him through her brother.
Harry also didn't live long and died in 1863 and Charlotte remarried, to a Thomas Holliday.

Thankyou both for the information, you have set me off along a different path now looking for Frances second marriage. Oh, and is it possible to get a copy of that Will KR? If so, where do I apply for it. Many thanks.

Val in Oz
29-03-12, 04:48
I have found the death of Thomas Gurner @ Rodborough Glouc. 4/3/1833 which ties in nicely with the marriage of Frances to George Holdford, same place in 1834.

I thought I might order the film for the second marriage, hoping that it will give me some more details re marital status and maybe witness names. (and if I'm lucky maybe the death of Thomas Gurner might be on the same film.)

So far the baptism of Frances eludes me, so I may have to wait for more records to become available before I find out her parents. But many thanks for this extra information.

kiterunner
29-03-12, 07:03
Oh, and is it possible to get a copy of that Will KR? If so, where do I apply for it.

You should contact Gloucestershire Archives and ask them how to order it:
http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/archives

Sabrina
29-03-12, 08:43
Val, if you like I could have a look at the parish register for the marriage next time I go to Gloucestershire Archives. I could also look at the Will, and if it's not too long I will transcribe it for you.

Val in Oz
29-03-12, 09:32
Sabrina thank you very much for that generous offer. I have ordered the film with the marriage on it, to run through at our local Mormon Church, but I would be very grateful if you could have a look at the Will for me next time you go to the Archives. Hopefully the Will won't be too long, but I would be interested to see or hear just what it says.

Thank you both for your help.

Sabrina
29-03-12, 18:36
No problem, Val. Might not be going in until after Easter now though, so bear with me!

Val in Oz
29-03-12, 21:41
No rush Sabrina, the school holidays start today so we shall be minding the grandies for the next few weeks and FH will be going on the backburner for a while.

I shall be very grateful for whenever you manage to get there. Many thanks

Sabrina
18-04-12, 16:28
I found the Marriage Allegations at Gloucester Archives, for both Frances' marriages:

1st one dated 22 August 1826
Thomas Gurner of Stroud, batchelor, Victualler of 21 years and upwards intends to marry Frances Weston of Stroud, spinster of 21 years and upwards at the parish church in Stroud. Signed Thomas Gurner.

2nd one dated 28 Jan 1834
George Holford of Rodborough, bachelor, 21 years upwards to marry Frances Gurner of Stroud, 21 years upwards, widow. To take place at Rodborough. Signed George Holford.

On the Glos Burial Index:
4 March 1833, Thomas Gurner, aged 28, of Stroud, buried at Minchinhampton Rodborough Tabernacle Methodist Chapel
3 May 1838, George Holford, aged 44, Stroud Old Chapel Congregational.

I couldn't see a Frances Holford on the burial index, so I wonder if she may have remarried.

And here is the transcript of George' Will:

I George Holford of Stroud in the County of Gloucester Printer and Licensed Victualler Do hereby make my last Will and Testament I give devise and bequeath unto my wife Frances Holford All that Messuage Tenement or Dwellinghouse with the shop and appurtenances thereunto belonging situate in the Westgate Street of the City of Gloucester and in the County of the same city in the occupation of C W Lovesy my tenant and all and singular other my real estate whatsoever and wheresoever situate And also all and singular my household goods and furniture linen china chattels personal estate and effects which I may be possessed of at the time of my decease To hold as to my said Messuage real estate and hereditaments to and to the use of my said Wife her heirs and assigns forever and To hold as to my said personal estate and effects to my said wife her executors administrators and assigns to and for her and their own use and benefit subject nevertheless And I do hereby charge my said real and personal estate with the payment of all my just debts which may be due and owing by me at the time of m decease I nominate constitute and appoint my said wife and John Gallop of Stroud aforesaid accountant executrix and executor of this my Will In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this twelfth day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty eight
Signed George Holford
Witness to the signature by said Testator in the presence of us
David Smith Manager of the Gas Works
John Holland Grocer

The 12th June 1838
On which day appeared personally Frances Holford of Stroud in the County of Gloucester widow and John Gallop of the same place accountant and alleged upon oath that the foregoing paperwriting contains the last Will and Testament of George Holford late of the same place Victualler and Printer deceased who died on the second day of May 1838 leaving goods chattels and credits wholly within the Diocese of Gloucester and Bristol under the value of one hundred pounds. That they are the joint executors therein named That they will well and faithfully perform the same and enter an inventory and account. Wherefore they prayed probate