PDA

View Full Version : London and Surrey Marriage Bonds and Allegations 1597-1921 - ancestry

kiterunner
28-03-12, 07:05
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2056

I'm not sure whether these are the same records that were on London Signatures.
For anyone who doesn't know, these records will only include people who applied for a marriage licence rather than get married by banns.

ElizabethHerts
28-03-12, 07:22
They look like the same as on London Signatures.

I haven't got an Ancestry sub, so I can't check too well. But what was free on London Signatures (I hope that is right) you now need to pay to see on Ancestry.
I did a double check - my ancestor George White married twice, in Guildford. Searching for his name is slightly futile, but when I put in both his brides' names up the records pop. Elizabeth Brookfield and Elizabeth Osmer, with his name underneath.

ElizabethHerts
28-03-12, 07:25
Now, what I'd really like is for the Surrey PRs to be put online!

ElizabethHerts
28-03-12, 07:40
Now I remember.

More basic information is available from London Signatures.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/wills/searchResults.aspx?lastname=te&firstname=&start=&end=&exact=False&page=419

George White and Elizabeth Osmer are the last ones on the page.

When I look at Ancestry (without a subscription), all I get is a name, with now parish and no extra information so I couldn't tell it was St Mary, Guildford or his occupation of Cooper.

kiterunner
28-03-12, 08:39
It includes some which are not on London Signatures, as I've just found my 5xg-grandparents Joseph Brown and Bird Adams. I didn't have a maiden name for her before as I'd never found their marriage. Now I know she was from Northall (=Northaw) in the county of Hertford. Yippee!

ElizabethHerts
28-03-12, 08:48
Pleased you found something useful, Kate. I can see some Hertfordshire research coming on...

Lindsay
28-03-12, 10:01
Phew! Several of my names are here so I need to follow them up.

But I've also had a minor breakthrough elsewhere and found several Wills I need to download and transcribe.

What to do first *frets *

maggie_4_7
28-03-12, 13:29
Phew! Several of my names are here so I need to follow them up.

But I've also had a minor breakthrough elsewhere and found several Wills I need to download and transcribe.

What to do first *frets *

LOL

I do get like that!

Like someone's going to whoosh them away again!

kiterunner
28-03-12, 13:59
I've managed to get back several generations in Hertfordshire now, based on that finding.

maggie_4_7
28-03-12, 14:00
On a serious note and I know I am being dumb why would one have a marriage bond or allegation?

Phoenix
28-03-12, 14:08
If you marry by licence, the bondsman swears that you can get married, since there is nobody to hear the banns being said and dispute the validity of the proposed marriage then.

The bishop who granted the licence would maintain a record, in case there was any comeback.

Licences often have much more detail than the actual marriages (ages, occupations etc) presumably to prove that the persons presenting the licence to the vicar were who they said they were.

ElizabethHerts
28-03-12, 14:34
Maggie, this is a transcript of just one of the pages of the marriage allegation for my 5x great grandparents George White and Elizabeth Osmer:

"Commissary of Surry.

On the Nineteenth Day of February 1757

appeared personally George White a Cooper
and being sworn on the holy Evangelists to depose the Truth upon his Oath, deposeth and faith, that he is of the Parish of St Mary in Guildford in the County of Surrey which hath been the usual Place of his Abode for four weeks last past, aged twenty eight Years, and a Widower and intendeth to intermarry with Elizabeth Osmer a Spinster aged twenty eight Years, of the Parish of the Holy Trinity in Guildford in the County of Surrey which hath been the usual Place of her Abode for four weeks last past.

And that he doth not know or believe that there is any lawful Let or Impediment, by Reason of any Precontract, Consanguinity, Affinity, or any other lawful Cause whatsoever, to hinder the said intended Marriage, and prayed Licence to solemnize the said Marriage in the Parish Church of St Mary in ye County of Surrey aforesaid.

Sworn before me
Cor Jeale Surrogate (signature of Geo White)
Let Licence pass "

maggie_4_7
28-03-12, 18:00
ahh I see.

Asa
29-03-12, 18:52
Wonderful stuff! Found my ancestor's second marriage in 1625 there which confirms her age :-)

maggie_4_7
29-03-12, 18:53
1625!!!

LOL oh to get back that far!

I haven't found anything to be honest but I didn't expect to.

Asa
29-03-12, 19:17
This lot were in London for ever so the registers are very accessible, Maggie - plus they were well off earlier on and left wills :-) But considering how many London ancestors I have, I did expect to find a lot and didn't.

maggie_4_7
29-03-12, 19:23
This lot were in London for ever so the registers are very accessible, Maggie - plus they were well off earlier on and left wills :-) But considering how many London ancestors I have, I did expect to find a lot and didn't.

Well some of mine were in London a very long time on my Delaforce/Horton line but so very very poor the rest hailed from Kent, Northamptonshire and Norfolk also very poor.

:)

I have to say I haven't found one will on my family tree not a jot. A couple on OH's tree.

Asa
29-03-12, 19:50
I've been very lucky with wills in the C17th and 18th - not much after cos they were all skint by then - and even recently found a hanging at Tyburn for forgeing a will. Really helps bring them to life a bit.