PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with American Census & BDM?

geniebug
12-03-12, 05:35
I'm looking for a George James Lindsay b 10 Feb 1858 Dundee Angus Scot who married (somewhere) - but I know he did go to Canada/US, supposedly married Margaret Ann Nicoll - I guess around 1880 give or take?

I don't understand anything Canadian or American in family history (I'm in Australia)

Actually I stand corrected. That George Lindsay had a son George John (I don't have his birth yet) and it was HIM who married in America (He was a potato farmer).

One of the Georges was a pharmacist and one a potato farmer - one was born in America, the other in Dundee. Seems the second George married his adopted cousin Eva Margaret Nancy (who I think was born in Crete) just to add to the mix.

Merry
12-03-12, 06:17
I can't help you with the American/Canadian stuff as I don't have the appropriate subs, so I just thought I'd confirm the first part.....

I think perhaps your GJL was born in Barry which is about ten miles from Dundee:

GEORGE JAMES LINDSAY Pedigree
Male
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: 10 FEB 1858 Barry, Angus, Scotland
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: WILLIAM LINDSAY Family
Mother: JANE HORN
Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

This is defintely him in 1861 (spellings are Ancestry transcriptions!):
Dundee St, Barry, Angus:

William L Lindsay 30 house painter b Dundee, Forfarshire
Jane Scott Horn 41 b South Leith, Edinburghshire
James Millar 13 step-son shoemakers apprentice b Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire
Robert Lindsay 8 scholar b Dumbarton, Dunbartonshire
William Lindsay 7 ditto
Jessie E Lindsay 5 ditto b Barry, Forfarshire
George L Lindsay 3 ditto
Hellen Lindsay 1 ditto sister-in-law, age not given, b Glasgow Lanarkshire

The only other thing I can do is see if he is on the transcripts of the Canadian or US 1880 census as that's freely available, or if he's still in Scotland in 1881. Anyone on my tree who did this journey made it in 1880 and don't appear on any 1880s census!!

Merry
12-03-12, 06:24
This is the 1871 (ancestry)

29 Wellington St, St Andrew, Dundee Angus

Wm L Lindsay 39 potato merchant b Dundee
Jane Lindsay 41 b Leith, Edinburgh
Wm Lindsay 17 b Dumbarton
Jessie Lindsay 15 b Carnoustie, Forfarshire
Geore J Lindsay 13 b Carnoustie, Forfarshire
Jane Lindsay 9 Carnoustie, Forfarshire

I've only added relationships where they are not the obvious ones!

Merry
12-03-12, 06:30
As expected I can't see George in 1881 (though that doesn't mean he isn't listed lol).

His father has a new wife:

30 S Wellington St, Dundee, Angus

William L Lindsay 49 potato merchant b Dundee
Martha L Lindsay 30 b England

Merry
12-03-12, 06:34
The only George I can see in Canada or the US in 1880 who was the right age and b Scotland is this one in Canada:

York Factory, Territories, Northwest Territories

John DUNCAN M Male Scottish 48 Scotland Boatbuilder Hbco. Free Kirk Presbyterian
George LINDSAY Male Scottish 24 Scotland Servant Hbco. Free Kirk Presbyterian
Donald MCIVER Male Scottish 20 Scotland Servant Hbco. Free Kirk Presbyterian
Donald MCLEOD Male Scottish 27 Scotland Servant Hbco. Free Kirk Presbyterian
Peter SINCLAIR Male Scottish 25 Scotland Blksmith Hbco. Free Kirk Presbyterian
James SINCLAIR M Male Scottish 54 Scotland Boatbuilder Hbco. Free Kirk Presbyterian
Norman SMITH Male Scottish 23 Scotland Servant Hbco. Free Kirk Presbyterian
James H WESHART W Male Scottish 26 Scotland Joiner Hbco. Free Kirk Presbyterian
Thomas WOOD Male Scottish 22 Scotland Servant Hbco. Free Kirk Presbyterian
William GRIEVE Male Indigenous 21 Keewatin, <Northwest Territories> Servant Hbco. Church of England
Alexander HANALD Male Indigenous 20 Keewatin, <Northwest Territories> Servant Hbco. Church of England

But it doesn't feel right to me!

Do you presume he was married out of the British Isles? I couldn't see a marriage in Scotland on FS.

Merry
12-03-12, 06:36
You need someone to find him later and trace back to join them up!

Langley Vale Sue
12-03-12, 06:37
In 1901 they are at 107 Ann Street, Dundee and George John (17) is living with them.
George James is a potato merchant. Also in the household are - wife Margaret Ann (44 born Ireland), daughter Charlotte Carr Lindsay (20 b. Dundee) and daughter Jessie Jane (15 b. America). George John's place of birth is shown as America as well and his occupation is 'Apprentice chemical'.

geniebug
12-03-12, 06:37
Thanks Merry - this tree is very complicated in that we have had to start at the top of the tree and work forward. It's a complicated one - but I am slowly making inroads into the marriage of the patriarch (if thats what you call him) - and his children, now I'm on to the next generation. The 1861 census does help immensely. I only had the 1841 census, as I am not a member of Ancestry.

You are right about the George being born in Barry.

Wow just noticed the 1871 census - that will really confirm things. Ionly have a handwritten chart thats been crossed out and re-entered, and no dates of birth or marriage. I'll get back to you when I can enter all this new stuff in and see where I am at.

Re info in the states. I'll have to read some letters and find out his movements, if I can, and get back to you - at present on another computer.

Thanks Merry for your input today - its really moved things along.

geniebug
12-03-12, 06:43
Sue that is spot on - because as I said, one was a pharmacist - I wasnt sure if the person who did the chart meant the older or younger George was the potato salesman or pharmacist.

Wow you've filled in some names I didnt have - wheeee I am making headway!!!

Thanks Sue & Merry

I'll be back!!!

Langley Vale Sue
12-03-12, 06:45
In 1891 the family are at the same address of 107 Ann Street, Dundee. It gives George John and Jessie Jane's birthplaces as Minnesota, USA.

Langley Vale Sue
12-03-12, 06:50
In 1881 they are at 117 Ann Street, Dundee with a son William aged 2 and born in Dundee. Daughter Charlotte is aged 1 month. George is a Potato Dealer.

Langley Vale Sue
12-03-12, 06:59
There is a Scottish George Lindsay aged 23 on the New York Passenger Lists on Ancestry. Unfortunately the image is quite hard to read, but the transcription states he left Liverpool on the 'Servia' and arrived in New York on 8 May 1882.

Merry
12-03-12, 07:58
In 1901 they are at 107 Ann Street, Dundee and George John (17) is living with them

lol it never occurred to me to look to see if they came back!

geniebug
12-03-12, 08:00
Makes you wonder why they went in the first place lol.

Will be getting on to the computer (the other one) - very soon, to sort and enter all this new stuff!

geniebug
13-03-12, 08:59
I have a child for George Lindsay - called Charlotte Carr lindsay b9 Feb 1881 in Dundee Scotland, mother showing as Margaret Nicoll (whch is correct). Is there a marriage for George & Margaret?

As expected I can't see George in 1881 (though that doesn't mean he isn't listed lol).His father has a new wife:
30 S Wellington St, Dundee, Angus William L Lindsay 49 potato merchant b Dundee

Who has the new wife, William or George? Are we talking about William Livingston Lindsay and George James Lindsay?
Do you think Martha is a new wife and not a daughter?

kiterunner
13-03-12, 09:41
I have a child for George Lindsay - called Charlotte Carr lindsay b9 Feb 1881 in Dundee Scotland, mother showing as Margaret Nicoll (whch is correct). Is there a marriage for George & Margaret?

If you search the Statutory Marriages on Scotland's People, there is a marriage for George James Lindsay and Margaret Ann Nicol in 1878.

geniebug
13-03-12, 10:01
Thanks Kate, I have narrowed down the time my George James went to America (having been born in Scotland, a potato farmer - as he had two children born in Minnesota, USA between 1884 & 1886 - he MAY have gone over in 1882, but was back in Scotland for the 1891 census (so left between 1881 - 1891 census)
He was married I would think prior to 1881 when his first daughter Charlotte Carr Lindsay was born.

How do I go about checking the births in Minnesota in 84 & 86 - and any census that may have been around?

kiterunner
13-03-12, 10:50
Minnesota State Census 1885 (with images and you can browse):
https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/show#uri=http://www.familysearch.org/searchapi/search/collection/1503044

There is a G J Lindsey age 27 born Scotland with wife and 3 children.

kiterunner
13-03-12, 11:00
How do I go about checking the births in Minnesota in 84 & 86 ?

There are some Minnesota births and baptisms on FamilySearch and ancestry but I can't see any children of George James born about that time on either of those sites.

geniebug
13-03-12, 11:06
Thanks Kate, that fits in nicely.

The only child missing was Jessie, born the next year. Was there another Census before 1891 that might show her?

Merry - did you see my query 180980? I'll repost it here

Quote:
As expected I can't see George in 1881 (though that doesn't mean he isn't listed lol).His father has a new wife:
30 S Wellington St, Dundee, Angus William L Lindsay 49 potato merchant b Dundee
Who has the new wife, William or George? Are we talking about William Livingston Lindsay and George James Lindsay?
Do you think Martha is a new wife and not a daughter?

kiterunner
13-03-12, 11:10
Thanks Kate, that fits in nicely.

The only child missing was Jessie, born the next year. Was there another Census before 1891 that might show her?

There was a US Census in 1890 but it has been destroyed.

Langley Vale Sue
13-03-12, 12:36

In 1881 census there is also a son, William aged 2. I haven't found his death yet though. Maybe why they went to America?

Update:

Just seen on 1885 Minnesota census that William aged 6 is with them.

geniebug
13-03-12, 20:10
Thanks Sue & Kate