PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please check an Ancestry search result for me?

Merry
06-03-12, 09:27
Nothing to add to BK6 from this thread

Rosie asked me to post any Ancestry links for John W Norman's WW1 service.

Whilst doing this (searching just John Norman) I wondered if he had a Silver War Badge and, having thought I'd just missed that collection on the list of results, I went straight to the collection via the card index and looked on it specifically.

I found two entries for John William Norman (one JW and the other WJ) neither of which were the right man.

However, back at the main search screen I did another general search for John William Norman but no Silver War Badge results appeared, but those two entries did appear if I unticked the box that says 'Only show results from the UK and Ireland'.

So, Ancestry think the Silver War Badge isn't to do with UK soldiers? Please could someone else check and see if they get the same result?

I wonder how many other UK records don't appear via the main search screen when the 'Only show results from the UK and Ireland' box is ticked?

Kit
06-03-12, 10:43
If I search John Norman no country or anything I get results for the Silver war badge - 37 results.

If I tick the box only show UK and ireland results I get no matches.

kiterunner
06-03-12, 11:34
I get the same as you, Merry. You should report it to ancestry and maybe they'll fix it (one day).

Merry
06-03-12, 11:57
lol thanks, both of you! Will do.

Merry
06-03-12, 12:12
Done. Ref for query is: '120306-001263'.

Mary from Italy
06-03-12, 17:59
I wonder how many other UK records don't appear via the main search screen when the 'Only show results from the UK and Ireland' box is ticked?

I'd been thinking of starting a thread about this.

I find that if I'm looking for somebody in the USA or Canada (using ancestry.co.uk), if I leave the "Only show results from the UK and Ireland" box unticked but don't specify the country they lived in, only a few results come up, whereas if I specify USA or Canada, I get lots of results for those countries.

This seems weird to me; I always assumed that not entering a country means that you get results for all countries, but it doesn't seem to work that way; you only seem to get partial results for some countries.

kiterunner
06-03-12, 18:24
I've never noticed that happen on my searches, Mary.

Merry
06-03-12, 18:28
That's interesting, Mary. I don't have a worldwide sub, so I don't ever look for anyone outside of the UK. I wonder what they are playing at?

kiterunner
06-03-12, 18:32
Can you give an example of a search where that happens, please, Mary? And I'll see if I can get it to do the same or not do the same.

Mary from Italy
06-03-12, 18:44
Hang on, I'll try and remember who I was searching for yesterday, when it last happened.

Mary from Italy
06-03-12, 19:05
OK, I've found one.

Search for George Inman.

If you don't add the country, you'll get all the US censuses (as well as UK), but you only get hits from one US BMD database (N Carolina), plus the SSDI.

If you select USA, but not the State, you get records from 10 different US BMD databases.

And if you select a state (e.g. Wisconsin), you get more records still.

Mary from Italy
06-03-12, 19:11
I've only just noticed the bit about getting more records when you select a State.

It makes searching a bit of a hit-and-miss affair; no problem if you know where the person lived and enter the State, but if you don't, you'd need to select each State in turn to be sure of not missing any records.

kiterunner
06-03-12, 19:20
OK, I've found one.

Search for George Inman.

If you don't add the country, you'll get all the US censuses (as well as UK), but you only get hits from one US BMD database (N Carolina), plus the SSDI.

I've got to go and have supper in a minute, but just using the basic (old) search on the UK home page, with the UK and Ireland box unticked, and Exact matches only ticked, George Inman, spelling exact, lived in all countries, no year range specified, I get 1,927 BMD results in 167 databases, with SSDI and North Carolina Birth Index on the first page of results, but paging through the databases there are lots of other US ones - Indiana Marriages, Missouri Marriages, Ohio Births and Christenings, Tennessee....

sorry, got to go and eat now, back later.

Mary from Italy
06-03-12, 19:33
Oops ;(

I hadn't realised there was more than one page of results (and I've been using Ancestry for years...)

Merry
06-03-12, 20:18
lol! 'Can't see for looking', as my gran would say! :)

Mary from Italy
06-03-12, 21:16
Yes, I shall be blushing for weeks about that :)

Merry
07-03-12, 05:52
Don't worry, I won't tell anyone :) (I'm sure I've done much more stupid things in my time!)

Kit
07-03-12, 11:05
Oops ;(

I hadn't realised there was more than one page of results (and I've been using Ancestry for years...)

Think of all the info you might find by turning the page. :)

Start re-searching those troublesome ancestors.

KiwiChris
07-03-12, 17:09
Those tick boxes have been driving me crazy for ages. If using the .au site, when I tick the box for only Australian and UK results I only ever get Australian results and no UK ones. I have complained about it twice because it did not used to be like that, and then I get a letter back from Ancestry teaching me how to search the data base.
Yes, I know how to do that, but when I want to tick the box and restrict the search to Australian and UK results, then that is what I want!

For that reason I use the .uk site, at least then I can restrict to only the UK results and most of the people I an searching for spent a good part of their life that I want to know about in the UK, but reading this maybe not as many results as I thought. ;(

Merry
09-03-12, 06:15
*heavy sigh*

The good news is Ancestry have replied.

The bad news is, this is what they say (in brief)

They cannot replicate the problem, as when they have the UK and Ireland box ticked they still get the Silver War Badge material in the results. They state the reason I don't to be because I don't sign out of Ancestry every time I use it and I shouldn't expect an 'optimum experience' if I don't sign in and out each visit.

They have given me this link, which they have requested I read (but I haven't yet!)

http://ancestryuk.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ancestryuk.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5253

I have dutifully tried signing out and back in again - I then looked for John William Norman with the UK and Ireland box ticked and guess what? Still no result for the Silver War Badge!!

Could someone else see if they can replicate my (less than optimum) 'experience' before I email them back?

Merry
09-03-12, 06:19
Now I keep getting the noose boy. An I beng punished??!!!

kiterunner
09-03-12, 07:12
I've got that stupid "licence limit exceeded" message at the moment, so I'll try a bit later, but I wonder if they're using the new search?

Merry
09-03-12, 07:45
Thanks Kate.

I was too dumb to think to tell them I was using the old search, but asking me should have been part of their response if it's vital to use the new one!

Merry
09-03-12, 07:49
I have just risked life and limb by trying the new search with the same name. I got 34 military matches instead of 33 on the old search, but still no SWB records.

kiterunner
09-03-12, 08:02
Okay, well, it logged me out after that whole licence limit thing, so before logging back in, I searched for John William Norman with the UK & Ireland only box ticked, using the new search, then started narrowing by category - Military - Awards & Decorations of Honour. No entries shown in the Silver War Badge database. I edited the search to untick the UK & Ireland box, and the Silver War Badge appeared at the top of the results list! Edited it again to untick the box, and the Silver War Badge disappeared again.

Now going onto ancestry.com where I have also been logged out, going onto Search, and selecting the Advanced Search, I put John William Norman in as the name, set Collection Priority to UK & Irish, and tick "Show only records from these collections", restrict to Historical Records, do my search, narrow by category - Military - Awards & Decorations of Honor - no Silver War Badge records shown. Edit my search to untick the "Show only records from these collections" box but leave collection priority as UK & Irish, and the Silver War Badge comes to the top again.

So I suspect they have confused the Collection Priority with the "only show" box!

Merry
09-03-12, 08:14
Sounds very likely.

I might c+p some of your last post into my reply to them if that's OK?

kiterunner
09-03-12, 08:27
I did type it up with that in mind.

Merry
09-03-12, 08:37
:d:d:d

Merry
09-03-12, 08:55
Reply sent.

Mary from Italy
09-03-12, 09:02
I usually start from this link when searching British military records on Ancestry, but it still doesn't seem to bring up silver war badges_

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/rectype/default.aspx?rt=39

Kit
10-03-12, 06:30
I never log out of ancestry, or any website, if I have a choice.

How do you set a collection priority? It might be useful to search that way.

Merry
10-03-12, 07:19
Here is their latest response (different department):

Thank you for contacting Ancestry.

We apologize for any frustration this issue may have caused and appreciate your feedback. We have forwarded your message on to our developers for consideration.

If there is anything else with which we might assist you, please let us know.

Camaris
Member Solutions
Ancestry.co.uk

How do you set a collection priority? It might be useful to search that way.

Toni, The box is towards the bottom of the New Search page. :)

Kit
10-03-12, 09:21
oh. I don't use that lol.

I don't like clicking on it in case I can't get back to the old one but thanks, it's good to know what options there are available.