PDA

View Full Version : Where do your saved images go on hard drive

vallee
15-10-09, 19:28
I really get frustrated when I save images to my hard drive from Ancestry as I can never find them ??? where do they go ????
I am using Vista

WendyPusey
15-10-09, 19:29
I usually make a new folder in My Documents and then save them all in there.

vallee
15-10-09, 19:30
do you get that option then Wendy ?? I just thought you named them??/

borobabs
15-10-09, 19:31
I save mine to my pictures or desktop , you can change where you want to save them Val just use the dropdown on the top line

Merry
15-10-09, 19:32
Don't you get a chance to choose where they are saved (I do and use Vista on my laptop)?

I usually save mine to my desktop to begin with, until I've extracted all the info from them and then I put them in the appropriate folder.

vallee
15-10-09, 19:37
ooh I do feel silly didnt realise the menu drops down ?? dont all laugh at once please thanks everybody

borobabs
15-10-09, 19:38
Val dont worry about it we all forget things at times lol

Merry
15-10-09, 19:40
If you look to see where the default save place is, next time you save one, that is probably where all your lost ones are!

vallee
15-10-09, 19:40
ugh the folder is empty what am I doing wrong ??? and stop tittering Babs I can hear you

borobabs
15-10-09, 19:43
Who me never ;;;
what you looking for saved census images ??? try to save another and write down where it says your saving them

vallee
15-10-09, 19:45
it says my pictures but they arent there either

borobabs
15-10-09, 19:46
Write down the full filepath that it says and then maybe wde can help you

Merry
15-10-09, 19:48
What about doing a Search for one if you know what you called it?

Margaret in Burton
15-10-09, 20:00
They are going to be in My documents, My pictures or on the desktop in my experience.

vallee
15-10-09, 20:12
I did a search and the folder appeared where I thought I had saved them but its empty ?

vallee
15-10-09, 20:13
dont worry everyone will have a good look and see what happened thanks a lot for helping

borobabs
15-10-09, 20:17
On that top line before you press save or when you press save all that writing is the filepath babe , if you can copy that down by r,click and then post here we can tell you what to do to find them

vallee
15-10-09, 20:33
thanks Babs but Im knackerd now from all that searching will do so later

borobabs
15-10-09, 20:37
OK babe

Nell
15-10-09, 20:43
Val

You can find anything you download recently in your "Recent Documents" tab from the start menu, and then you can save them where you can find them.

vallee
15-10-09, 21:01
do you know what Nell thats whats puzzling I look in my recent ones and they arent there its most odd

kiterunner
15-10-09, 22:00
I seem to remember that Vista sets up a whole set of temporary folders with the same names as your permanent ones and saves things into those unless you stop it from doing that, but it's so long ago now that I can't remember what you do to stop it! Basically you need to make sure that the top layer of the folder structure is where you want them to be, for instance C - Users - your name - and then so on.

borobabs
15-10-09, 22:04
That makes some sense mine all go into borobabs ;;

vallee
15-10-09, 22:53
thanks very much Kite but I am not quite sure how to do that??

GenieDi
16-10-09, 08:08
Val install a programme called Picasa it's a free download from google when you run it all images on your computer will be "called" into it and you should find everything.

GenieDi
16-10-09, 08:08
http://picasa.google.co.uk/

maggie_4_7
16-10-09, 08:13
I have just created a folder and within that folder more subfolders for individual families as many as I need and then more depending on the criteria of the image/document.

When you save an image just browse to whatever folder you've created and then save the images there.

I have over 3,000 images and documents so its pretty well organised it has to be because of the size and its backed up once a week because I am constantly adding to it.

Cloggie
16-10-09, 08:13
"Lost" downloads from Ancestry are to do with Protected Mode in Internet Explorer. There were several threads on FTF about this last year:
http://www.familytreeforum.com/computer-help/53819-vista-help-please.html
http://www.familytreeforum.com/computer-help/49968-vista-lost-files.html

kiterunner
16-10-09, 08:15
Val, when you click to save a copy and select to save to your computer's hard drive, you should get a pop-up box headed "Save As". It has a few different boxes including File Name and Save as Type: JPEG File, and then below those is a little button with an arrow on it that is marked "Browse Folders". You click on that and then you get the list of folders on your computer and select the folder you want from that.

vallee
16-10-09, 12:34
thanks everybody just going to try again wish me luck

Cloggie
16-10-09, 12:45
Val, when you click to save a copy and select to save to your computer's hard drive, you should get a pop-up box headed "Save As". It has a few different boxes including File Name and Save as Type: JPEG File, and then below those is a little button with an arrow on it that is marked "Browse Folders". You click on that and then you get the list of folders on your computer and select the folder you want from that.

If I remember correctly, when saving Ancestry images you can only do this if Protected Mode is switched off in Internet Explorer (see above).

Terri
16-10-09, 15:20
I had EXACTLY the same problem - disappearing Ancestry images - nearly went doolalley trying to find them!

The problem is with Internet Explorer.

Use Google Chrome - problem solved!

WendyPusey
16-10-09, 17:07
I had EXACTLY the same problem - disappearing Ancestry images - nearly went doolalley trying to find them!

The problem is with Internet Explorer.

Use Google Chrome - problem solved!

Sorry Terri but that's Rubbish!!!!:(:(:(

I have used IE and Firefox, and have NEVER lost any images that I have downloaded from Ancestry or anywhere else.

You should all place your downloads into a folder that you know where it is!!!!!

maggie_4_7
16-10-09, 17:10
You should all place your downloads into a folder that you know where it is!!!!!

Which was my advice too :)

WendyPusey
16-10-09, 17:11
Which was my advice too :)

Exactly Maggie.

borobabs
16-10-09, 17:25
I use IE and mine go to my desktpo where I put them into family folders ;;

Terri
16-10-09, 17:48
Mine were just vanishing, I knew exactly where I'd put them!

But as soon as I closed Ancestry, they vanished.

Got a computer guy in on it in the end.

It was Internet Explorer! Don't know exactly what the problem was; he did tell me, but I forget the technical stuff.

I use Google Chrome now, and they download and stay put!

Try Google Chrome Vallee, and see if that works.

Just remembered something else: Try emailing them to yourself Vallee. If that doesn't work either, then it's definitely Explorer that's being a nuisance

Cloggie
16-10-09, 18:23
Sorry Terri but that's Rubbish!!!!:(:(:(

I have used IE and Firefox, and have NEVER lost any images that I have downloaded from Ancestry or anywhere else.

Yes, if it lets you do that. But if you have Protected Mode switched on in Internet Explorer, it will only let you download Ancestry images to a Temporary File, which is in a virtual folder and is near impossible to find. The problem can be solved by switching Protected Mode OFF or by using a different browser.

Try Googling: ancestry images "protected mode", and you'll see that this is a common issue with IE7 and IE8. I think another way to fix the problem is to use the basic viewer instead of the enhanced viewer, but haven't tried that solution myself.

Terri
16-10-09, 18:46
Protected Mode ..... yes, I think that was it, but for some reason it couldn't be turned off. (Don't ask me - this is a new computer - that's why apparently!)

Also, I couldn't open my Saved Images on 1911 census - same problem

Chrissie Smiff
16-10-09, 19:30
This is going to sound silly Vallee but it reminded me of something I did many moons ago. I was finding the folder I wanted to save things in and naming it but I was forgetting to press save :o You aren't doing the same are you?

vallee
16-10-09, 19:41
well I saved them to a folder named it Ancestry downloads and just did a search and they have disappeared too????

vallee
16-10-09, 19:43
Chrissie I think so ??????????? maybe I had better check again , but even the folder named Ancestry downloads has disappeared too ???

Terri
16-10-09, 19:44
Vallee, open Ancestry in Google Chrome and have a go there.
It's got to be worth a try!

vallee
16-10-09, 19:59
will do Terri

vallee
16-10-09, 20:10
right guess what ??? it worked
I saved it to a folder called downloads and found it straight away , the ony thing is I dont really like googlechrome I only use it for Findmypast as for some reason I cannot access the images on there with IE?? another little problem.
Would love to know what the problem is ?
Thanks everybody for your help

Terri
16-10-09, 20:37
WOOO HOOO!
I'm so pleased it worked Valleee, I feel exonerated now! :d

I can't view 1911 images in IE either!

vallee
16-10-09, 20:40
I have emailed Findmypast about the images problem but they dont help much do they ???

GenieDi
16-10-09, 20:42
Did you try the picasa download Val.

vallee
16-10-09, 22:01
Hi Diana not yet because I did have that and it doubled up on my photos so got rid of it and as I now have a Epson that stores all my photos dont want them in too many places, although saying that the Epson thing is a pain so maybe I will turn that off and use Picasa instead ???? thanks for the suggestion.

perth tiger
17-10-09, 01:44
hi
just double click on where it says protected mode at the bottom of IE. when the new window opens there is a box that says enable protected mode. make sure it is unticked. it will just work as normal after that and you can save wherever you want.
IE on vista is very over protective and you dont need to have protected mode on. once you have done this you can carry on as normal.

perth:)

Cloggie
17-10-09, 09:34
hi
just double click on where it says protected mode at the bottom of IE. when the new window opens there is a box that says enable protected mode. make sure it is unticked. it will just work as normal after that and you can save wherever you want.
IE on vista is very over protective and you dont need to have protected mode on. once you have done this you can carry on as normal.

That's what I keep trying to say, lol! This is exactly what's explained in the links in my first reply. Switch off protected mode and you can save Ancestry downloads wherever you like. :)

vallee
17-10-09, 10:11
thats interesting Martyn I remember having to do that for another site but cant remember which ?? will try that thanks .
Will send you those details today for the couple I am looking for who may have emigrated to Australia thanks again.

perth tiger
17-10-09, 11:11
That's what I keep trying to say, lol! This is exactly what's explained in the links in my first reply. Switch off protected mode and you can save Ancestry downloads wherever you like. :)

i saw that. dont know why theres another 5 pages :rolleyes:

thats interesting Martyn I remember having to do that for another site but cant remember which ?? will try that thanks .
Will send you those details today for the couple I am looking for who may have emigrated to Australia thanks again.
once you have done it val you shouldnt need to do it again for each site. just leave it turned off

perth:d

vallee
17-10-09, 11:53
but is it safe to leave it turned off ???? I do get paranoid about getting trojans and things
Off out now see you later

borobabs
17-10-09, 12:15
I dont have mine on Val , havnt for long time now ;;

perth tiger
17-10-09, 12:38
but is it safe to leave it turned off ???? I do get paranoid about getting trojans and things
Off out now see you later

it has no effect on any of those things. it just dictates to you what you can look at.

WendyPusey
17-10-09, 14:02
WOOO HOOO!
I'm so pleased it worked Valleee, I feel exonerated now! :d

I can't view 1911 images in IE either!

I send my utmost apologies Terri.:o:o:o

I am using XP and I have no problems with IE, and I have no idea what this Protected Mode is. I prefer Firefox.

vallee
17-10-09, 14:45
I just tried to untick that box and got a warning that my computer wont be safe ???????????????

Terri
17-10-09, 15:01
I untick that box and as soon as I open IE again ........... it's back on! :d

vallee
17-10-09, 15:34
thats weird isnt it ??? how come the others manage to switch it off ???

GenieDi
17-10-09, 15:53
I'm so pleased I don't use internet explorer :)

maggie_4_7
17-10-09, 17:16
I'm so pleased I don't use internet explorer :)

I think any application or browser is fine as long as you know what you are doing...

;)

perth tiger
17-10-09, 22:04
I just tried to untick that box and got a warning that my computer wont be safe ???????????????

of course it will say that, MS want to dictate to you.
when you untick it did you then click apply then ok? you need to restart IE after you have done it.

Jennifer Eccles
17-10-09, 22:47
Val I have done this tonight to save images , they didnt save on laptop till I did that and lappys ok ;;honest ;;

borobabs
17-10-09, 23:04
Wasnt Jen it was me lol