PDA

View Full Version : Maud Medlock - birth registration?

Anstey Nomad
03-03-12, 19:29
OK GFers, here is your weekend poser. A brickwall in Mr Nomad’s family this time.

Maud Medlock appears here on the 1911 census, in the bosom of her family in Coventry, place of birth Cambridge.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=2352&iid=RG14_18575_0765_03&fn=Maud&ln=Medlock&st=r&ssrc=&pid=21714832

However, although she is listed as such on the census and although she said John J M Medlock was her father when she married in 1923, she was not, as far as we know, his daughter.

Maud’s mother was Julia Mortlock, Jeanette Medlock’s unmarried sister. Julia kept her child with her for several years after her birth, then put her on the train from London and sent her to her married sister in Coventry, who brought her up with her own brood, although she always felt she was treated as a bit of a poor relation. Julia died unmarried in the 1950s.

In time, Maud herself got pregnant and married. She and her husband, with their young daughter, emigrated to Australia in 1927 and their descendants are still there. For the avoidance of doubt, Maud died some years ago in South Australia. There was no birth certificate among her belongings and her daughter, now also deceased, did not remember ever seeing one.

However, we cannot find Maud’s birth. She was not registered as a Medlock and appears not to have been registered in her mother’s name either, so presumably she was registered in the name of her father, whoever he was.

Maud’s granddaughter will be back over here this summer. It would be nice to be able to fill in this gap in her family tree, which still evades us.

Does anyone have any ideas?

AN

HarrysMum
03-03-12, 19:32
Do you know what date she used for her birthday?

Anstey Nomad
03-03-12, 19:37
Not off the top of my head no.

Her married name was Middleton if you were thinking of trying to look her up from your end.

AN

HarrysMum
03-03-12, 19:40
Not off the top of my head no.

Her married name was Middleton if you were thinking of trying to look her up from your end.

AN

I was going to sit and go through all the Mauds until i found one (hopefully not too many more) who didn't fit in 1911.

I don't have a life. My footy team's lost their captain to injury again....

Is Julia a 36 year old servant in Essex in 1911?

Anstey Nomad
03-03-12, 20:25
Thank you.

Yes, I saw that about your footy captain - not good. Don't let the Pies get wind of it!

Yes, that's the right Julia - she was a cook. Died in Huntingdonshire in 1950 someodd.

AN

Mary from Italy
03-03-12, 20:31
Did she marry in SA? The marriage cert should give her parents' names and her birthplace.

Durham Lady
03-03-12, 20:31
There's an Ella Winifred M MORTLOCK born 1902 but place of birth doesn't fit.
Did you notice on the census it states Maud was born Cambridge, same as John and his cousin Albert. Could that be made up?

MORTLOCK, Ella Winifred M
Registration district Faversham County: Kent
Year of registration 1902
Quarter of registration Jan-Feb-Mar
Volume no 2A
page no 918

Ella doesn't show on the census in 1911 and there doesn't seem to be a death for her.

Would it be worth getting this certificate just in case?

Mary from Italy
03-03-12, 20:38
Sorry, just noticed that she married in England. Pity the Warks marriages on Ancestry only go up to 1910.
Do you have the 1922 marriage cert?

Margaret in Burton
03-03-12, 20:56
Aghhhhhhhhhhh The maybe Mortlock connection.

Suffolk is full of Mortlocks and I'm sure they moved into Cambridgeshire.

We HAVE to find this connection AN

(in case anyone wonders, I have hundreds of Mortlocks in Suffolk.)

HarrysMum
04-03-12, 03:06
I'm with Daphne.

I've trawled everywhere and can't see any evidence Ella Mortlock existed except a birth.

Was Maud a family name? I notice there is a Doris Maud Medlock born 1900. I wonder if Ella morphed into Maud. Her third name initial is M.

Merry
04-03-12, 07:58
MORTLOCK, Ella Winifred M
Registration district Faversham County: Kent
Year of registration 1902
Quarter of registration Jan-Feb-Mar
Volume no 2A
page no 918

Ella doesn't show on the census in 1911 and there doesn't seem to be a death for her.

Would it be worth getting this certificate just in case?

The only problem is that Emma may be part of the family of Albert G and Fanny E Mortlock who had a lot of children in Faversham District between about 1897 and probably through to 1905. All of their children seem to have three forenames and I've not been able to find any of them in 1911 and no marriages or deaths for the ones with more unusual names (Queenie, Bernard and Earl) at all. Also no death for dad Albert George Mortlock, but I don't think I looked for his wife, Fanny Eleanor Mortlock.

However, I have found what could be the father and the two eldest boys (Alfred, Alfred and Albert) on a ship to Canada in 1908. I've not found evidence for the others going yet though. It may be that Ella is part of this family.

However, that leaves Lilian Freda Mortlock, reg in the same Q as Ella (presume different family as completely different page number) and I can't find her afterwards, but now I'm thinking others have, so that's OK. (Except that I've made things worse! lol)

JessBow
04-03-12, 08:12
I cant access ancestry, so cant view your 1911 census.

When does she proport to being born?

HarrysMum
04-03-12, 08:18
Well, I'm going back to checking all the Mauds born about that time....but I'm sticking with Cambridge in the hope that only one lie was told in 1911.....lol

Julia is with the Medlocks in 1901. She hasn't got that much time to leave there, go off and get herself pregnant and have a baby in early 1902. Maud is already 9 in 1911.

I don't think the Medlocks thought about changing her age at all as they have a 9 year old son in 1911 born in a different place to their 9 year old "daughter".

Merry
04-03-12, 08:24
Cambridge, Jess.

She hasn't got that much time to leave there, go off and get herself pregnant and have a baby in early 1902.

She might have already been pregnant when the 1901 census was taken rather than going off first.....

HarrysMum
04-03-12, 08:35
I thought of that Merry.....had a look around the streets in 1901 checking out prospective fathers but haven't found any Mauds with names that fit.

There's only 3 Mauds born Cambridge between Q4 1901 and Q3 1902 and I've got them in their right places.

HarrysMum
04-03-12, 08:40
Another thought....................don't suppose Maud is Mr Medlock's daughter??

Merry
04-03-12, 08:44
Does anyone have any ideas?

AN

Do you know what date she used for her birthday?

Would anyone know what date she did use for her birthday?

If you had a date it might be worth contacting the Cambridgeshire CC and asking them if their CAMDEX indexes will ever include mmn like some of the other indexes around the country do (even before 1912). When they say "No" you could ask how much it would cost to check out the births for the relevant Q (hoping there's only one) for any births with mmn Mortlock. The other problem is that there are five different subdistricts covering different areas of Cambridge. :o

HarrysMum
04-03-12, 08:47
I asked An about the birthday. I think she's having a look.

Merry....what are the districts? OH is now watching some garbage on TV so I'm exiled to the computer...lol

Merry
04-03-12, 08:49
I've a bad feeling Cambridge might well refer to the whole county rather than the city ;(

I wonder how Julia managed in London with a baby/toddler before she sent Maud to her sister?

Merry
04-03-12, 08:51
Merry....what are the districts? OH is now watching some garbage on TV so I'm exiled to the computer...lol

Do you mean the subdistricts?

Sub-districts : Cambridge, St. Andrew the Great, St. Andrew the Less, St. Giles, St. Mary the Great

HarrysMum
04-03-12, 09:25
I've checked all the Mauds born Cambridgeshire (is that right?)

The only ones I can't find in 1911 or in the deaths are..

Maud Wright Q3 1902
Maud Cutter Q2 1902
Maud Clifford Q2 1902
Maud Norwell Q2 1902
Maud Sharpe Q2 1902
Maud Speechley Q2 1902

Haven't done the Q1s yet...and some of these could have the pob wrong in 1911.

Merry
04-03-12, 10:00
What about 1901 Q2,3,4? :D

Merry
04-03-12, 10:04
and the 1902 Q3s who might have been born in Q2!!

Anstey Nomad
04-03-12, 10:20
Morning all - checking in

John Medlock was born in Cambridge. The family lived in Gloster Street and Jeanette and Julia's brother Sam lived a couple of doors down. That's in the parish of St Giles, if that helps. I’m happy with Cambridge as a birthplace for him and his cousin. It looks as though John used his influence to get Arthur a job on the trams in Coventry as he was already working there.

All the other Medlock children from that family are accounted for. Neither Doris nor Eva 'became' Maud. In the 1940s, Eva was still in Warwickshire, Doris was in Wiltshire and Maud was in Oz.

I’m also not aware that Maud was particularly a family name. Before I knew she was born in Cambridge I checked all the Coventry baptisms for the relevant period and there were lots of Mauds so I guess it was quite popular at the time.

Yes, I have a copy of Maud’s marriage certificate. We got it specifically to see what, if anything, it says for her father. It says ‘John J M Medlock’.

It has occurred to me that she might actually be his daughter, but that would have meant JJM knocking off his unmarried sister in law behind his wife’s back, which would be a very un-Medlock thing to do. I know that sounds very naïve and after nearly thirty years in this game I should know better, but they do all have a strong moral code. That theory though brings us back to the birth registration issue.

We don’t think she actually knew where she was born, but we do know that she remembered the train journey from London.

I can’t begin to imagine how difficult it would have been for an unmarried mother at that time, unless of course she was with the father for a time and then it all went wrong.

AN

HarrysMum
04-03-12, 10:41
Even if she could remember the train journey...it doesn't mean she was born in London. Why would the Medlocks put Cambridgeshire on the 1911 census?
You'd think he'd just put Cov like the other kids.
He didn't bother altering her age at all so Vincent and Maud both born 1902 (possible for siblings) but all except Maud born Cov.

Merry
04-03-12, 10:51
John Medlock was born in Cambridge.

So, maybe his sis-in-law gets herself 'into trouble' and John arranged for her to go to one of his family members in Cambs (or some other contact there he is aware of, such as a place for unmarried mums?) and that is why Maud was born there?

ElizabethHerts
04-03-12, 10:52
There are a couple Medlock baptisms for Cambridge for the correct time on FMP, but nothing that looks like Maud.

Just for the record, in case there's any interest in Cambridge Medlocks.

Day:16
Month:Mar
Year:1898
Forenames:William Harry
Surname:MEDLOCK
Father forenames:William Henry
Fathers occupation:sop-maker
Mother forenames:Laura
Birth Day:18
Birth Month: Apr
Birth Year: 1879
Abode: of 4 Abbey Rd
Place:Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
County: Cambridgeshire,England
Record source: Cambridgeshire Baptisms Find out more
Data provider: Cambridgeshire Family History Society

Day:21
Month:Nov
Year:1900
Forenames: Eugenie Alice
Surname:MEDLOCK
Relationship:
Father forenames:William Harry
Fathers occupation:soap maker
Mother forenames:Laura
Birth Day:
Birth Month:
Birth Year:
Abode: of 4 Abbey Rd
Place:Cambridge, St Andrew the Less
County: Cambridgeshire,England
Record source:Cambridgeshire Baptisms
Data provider:Cambridgeshire Family History Society

Perhaps the Cambridgeshire FH Society could help or advise?

This might help for elimination purposes.

HarrysMum
04-03-12, 10:59
Elizabeth...I can't find any suitable Medlocks or Mortlocks....

That's why I started on just Maud in Cambridgeshire.

I'm off to my bed now. Will look back in the morning.

maggie_4_7
04-03-12, 11:30
So, maybe his sis-in-law gets herself 'into trouble' and John arranged for her to go to one of his family members in Cambs (or some other contact there he is aware of, such as a place for unmarried mums?) and that is why Maud was born there?

I think you're probably right and it's probably the same place Arthur the cousin was born.

AN

Have you got Arthur's DOB and place?

Edit to ask: Is it Chesterton, Cambridge?

Anstey Nomad
04-03-12, 13:16
I'm sure Cambridge is not a red herring. The Medlocks moved there from Tempsford in Bedfordshire and Julia and Jeanette's brother lived there.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=2352&iid=rg14_09127_0310_03&fn=Samuel+John&ln=Mortlock&st=r&ssrc=&pid=44758355

When Julia got caught short, she could have gone to her own family.

To be honest, I've never looked at Arthur. He only became a matter of interest briefly when one of his descendants died a while ago and MIL started getting sympathy cards. I worked it back and it was this Arthur's grandson, but MIL had been completely unaware of the existence of this other family, or the connection.

William Henry the soapmaker is a relative - his father came from Tempsford and moved to London and then this family came back to Cambridge. All the Tempsford Medlocks are related and most of them have the same half dozen first names, which did at least enable me to stick Mr Nomad in front of a gravestone with his name on it! Whether he learnt anything from that remains to be seen.

AN

Anstey Nomad
04-03-12, 13:34
NB Arthur is only a cousin in the Shakespearean sense of the word. His grandfather John was born in Tempsford and was probably a cousin of John J M's father.

AN

Merry
04-03-12, 15:21
If Julia was 'helped' by her brother-in-law then I would have expected the child to be registered with Julia's surname, as it would seem strange for her to pretend to be married if the man wasn't in tow and her family knew her situation. Maybe Maud just wasn't registered?

Anstey Nomad
04-03-12, 15:52
How likely would that be at this (relatively) late date?

AN

Merry
04-03-12, 16:14
I don't know, but certainly some people were not registered. I know of two people, one born within a marriage in London in 1929 (third child of four) She was baptised aged under two weeks and the bap record has her address where the other children were born according to their certs, but there is no reg for her.

Also a lady born in 1907 in Cambridgeshire (!) who was admittedly illegitimate (so might have been registered with her unknown father's name), but the registrar did go through the records looking for a cert with mmn 'X' in the register for the village on the 1911 census, without any luck.

I guess for every person truly not registered there are another five who are just not recognisable in the indexes.

Joan of Archives
04-03-12, 16:23
Just to throw a spanner in the works, my Grandma was born Alice Maude and was always known as Maude with an "e" :rolleyes: I am assuming you've all checked the Maude spelling as well?

Merry
04-03-12, 16:25
I would automatically type Maud* :D except on FreeBMD!

HarrysMum
04-03-12, 19:47
I'm up.......

Will venture back after Mr Twinings has worked his magic.

Anstey Nomad
01-10-19, 14:27
So, on a slack afternoon I wondered whether a search of the GRO Index would turn anything up. I don't think it was available when I started this thread. The short answer so far is no, it doesn't, because I need to have a surname before I can search, but I have been able to eliminate all the suggestions in post #21 and also Ella W M Mortlock, whose mother's maiden name was Heathfield.

I will keep going with this though and, as ever, would welcome any suggestions.

Merry
01-10-19, 15:14
You don't need a surname on FMP. Their data base may not be 100% complete, but it's a good place to start. If you don't have a sub I can look, if you tell me what you are looking for so I don't have to read back!

Merry
01-10-19, 15:20
So, we are looking for Maud* X mmn Mortlock, b Cambridge about 1902/3?

Do you have her dob from the 1939 Register? (I only read the opening post!)

Merry
01-10-19, 15:21
Oh - she's the one who went to Oz? Bother!

Merry
01-10-19, 15:51
I'm wondering about this one:

TAYLOR, ELLEN MAUD
MORTLOCK
GRO Reference: 1902 J Quarter in SUDBURY Volume 04A Page 895

Merry
01-10-19, 16:04
Obviously Miss Mortlock in the above birth reg might have been married more than once (and of course Sudbury isn't in Cambridgeshire!), but looking at Taylor/Mortlock marriages in the prev 20 years on FreeBMD up comes:

Basil Taylor married Ellen Maria Mortlock 1901, but they only had one living child in 1911 (a boy)

John Fuller Taylor m the other bride in 1895.

Margaret in Burton
01-10-19, 18:20
I'm wondering about this one:

TAYLOR, ELLEN MAUD
MORTLOCK
GRO Reference: 1902 J Quarter in SUDBURY Volume 04A Page 895

Sudbury district is where most of my Mortlock’s were registered. Shimpling, Suffolk

Margaret in Burton
01-10-19, 18:34
Obviously Miss Mortlock in the above birth reg might have been married more than once (and of course Sudbury isn't in Cambridgeshire!), but looking at Taylor/Mortlock marriages in the prev 20 years on FreeBMD up comes:

Basil Taylor married Ellen Maria Mortlock 1901, but they only had one living child in 1911 (a boy)

John Fuller Taylor m the other bride in 1895.

Just looked up that 1911 entry. Ellen Taylor nee Mortlock was born in Denham, Suffolk. Those are the Mortlock’s who came to Burton who aren’t connected to me. The families descended from them were members of the Salvation Army in Burton. I’ve never been able to connect them to mine.

Merry
01-10-19, 19:19
Sudbury district is where most of my Mortlock’s were registered. Shimpling, Suffolk

So if there were many Mortlocks in Sudbury district it becomes less likely the entry I found was the right one :( I expect it's a second marriage.

Having said that, I can't find this Ellen Maud Taylor on the 1911 census, nor a death for her before 1911.

kiterunner
01-10-19, 21:45
There is an Essex baptism on ancestry (transcription only):
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61699&h=2841354&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=dNx22049&_phstart=successSource

Ellen Maud Taylor, born 6 Mar, baptised 4 May 1902 St Andrew, Bulmer, Essex, parents William and Julia. Bulmer was in Sudbury registration district.

!!!

kiterunner
01-10-19, 21:49
This is the (tiny) image on Essex Archives Online (what used to be SEAX):

https://www.essexarchivesonline.co.uk/Result_Details.aspx?ID=51962

Image no 49.

I can't make out what it says for father's occupation on there (not without paying!)

kiterunner
01-10-19, 21:54
I don't know whether you ever said if you had found your Julia on the 1911 census, AN?

kiterunner
01-10-19, 22:00
Anyway, a tree on ancestry had a link to Julia in 1911:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2352/rg14_09806_0021_03/53003667?backurl=https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/77267467/person/81014162889/facts

I was hoping she might be with some Taylors, but no such luck. She is in the right county though, but not very near Bulmer.

Merry
01-10-19, 22:34
I expect I searched Suffolk for the baptism even though I did know part of Sudbury District covered part of Essex! :o

I wonder if the baptism says bricklayer?

Merry
02-10-19, 06:43
I wonder if the baptism says bricklayer?

I don't think it does now. I have photoshop on my other computer so I could have a go at brightening it etc later on.

Anstey Nomad
02-10-19, 10:21
Maud's grand-daughter confirms her birthday was 6 March - year was either 1902 or 1903.

1911 census says she was 9, so March 1902 it is.

I think we may be onto something here.

Merry
02-10-19, 11:39
Ellen Maud Taylor, born 6 Mar, baptised 4 May 1902

Yes, confirmation of 6th March is great!

Will you be getting a copy of the birth cert?

Anstey Nomad
02-10-19, 11:56
Try and stop me!

Anstey Nomad
02-10-19, 14:57
I shall be back next Tuesday - if not before.

Anstey Nomad
03-10-19, 16:40
Just found Julia on the 1939 Register and realised she was living only five minutes walk away from us, so I've been up and taken some wobbly photos of the house.

That was a bit of a surprise. As far as I am aware, her only connections in Coventry were her sister and her family. No-one left to ask about her, sadly.

Anstey Nomad
05-10-19, 14:14
The plot thickens. I now have the PDF of the birth certificate, which says as follows:

Superintendent Registrar's District: Sudbury
Registrar's Sub-District: Bulmer
1902 Births in the Sub-District of Bulmer in the County of Essex
When and where born: 6 March 1902 Church Road Bulmer R.D.
Name, if any: Ellen Maud
Sex:Girl
Name and Surname of Father: William Taylor
Name and Maiden Surname of Mother: Julia Taylor formerly Mortlock
Rank or Profession of Father: Engine Fitter Locomotive
Signature, Description and Residence of Informant: Julia Taylor Mother 81 Cox Street Coventry
When Registered: 14 April 1902

I've searched the BMD index for births and marriages of Julia Mortlocks. Only four of the 12 Julias I found have no other name. Of these four, one was 58 at the time of this child's birth, and two 43. 'Our 'Julia' would have been 25. If I hadn't already thought she was going to be the right one, the Coventry connection has clinched it for me. Cox Street is in the middle of the university campus now, so I cross it most days.

There's no sign of a marriage between William Taylor and Julia Mortlock. Just as well possibly, the way things turned out.

As always, thoughts welcomed. Onwards now on the trail of William Taylor!

kiterunner
05-10-19, 14:22
Is 81 Cox Street Coventry an address associated with your Mortlocks / Medlocks, AN? Anyway, I would say that the Coventry connection proves it is the same Julia.

kiterunner
05-10-19, 14:30
Here is a William Taylor, engine fitter, in Essex in 1901:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/7814/ESSRG13_1593_1595-0112/9085785?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.uk %2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdbid%3d7814%26gsfn%3dwil*%26gsln%3 dta*l*r%26gsfn_x%3d1%26gsln_x%3d1%26cp%3d11%26msbd y%3d1876%26msbdy_x%3d1%26msrdy_x%3d1%26msrpn__ftp% 3dessex%252c%2bengland%252c%2bunited%2bkingdom%26m srpn__ftp_x%3d1%26msrpn%3d5264%26msrpn_x%3d1%26pca t%3d%26qh%3dI7Rq6W4BVSp%252fKgBW2F9alA%253d%253d%2 6hc%3d20%26new%3d1%26rank%3d1%26uidh%3dvm5%26redir %3dfalse&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults

40 Maryland St, West Ham, age 25, unmarried, born Stratford Essex, a boarder with a family called Collis. It doesn't say whether the engines that he fitted were locomotives or not.

But there are loads of other William Taylors who were engine fitters in other counties, according to FMP.

Anstey Nomad
05-10-19, 15:10
Cox Street isn’t particularly significant, but it is in Coventry, where her sister lived and where, we have subsequently found, Julia lived for a big chunk of her life. It’s also not the address I would have expected to find on a birth certificate for a child born in rural Essex.

William Taylor may remain a mystery, given the frequency of his name and occupation, but I am looking curiously at a fatherless Taylor family in Bulmer in 1911.

kiterunner
05-10-19, 15:16
That's interesting, AN, because I remember I was looking at Lilian Edith the other day, perhaps in 1901.

kiterunner
05-10-19, 15:19
Yes, here she is in 1901, married but her husband isn't there:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/7814/SFKRG13_1739_1743-0507?pid=9984404&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Ctf16064&_phstart=successSource

Merry
05-10-19, 15:27
Lilian's husband is Charles Edward Taylor.

kiterunner
05-10-19, 15:30
This is the baptism of Alice Dorothy, daughter of Lilian Edith:

Image number 50.

I think the father's name is Charles Edward Taylor, and I think the occupation is Royal Navy.

On FreeBMD, there are two Taylor grooms with the same marriage page number, George William and Charles Edward. So it looks likely that George William Taylor married Kate Rebecca Fraser. Unless you have found a marriage record which says something different?

Merry
05-10-19, 15:32
Isn't it more likely William Taylor had a connection to Coventry as that's where Julia was in 1901?

I don't know why she went to Bulmer to have her baby or why she gave an address in Cov but was still in Bulmer (or travelled back there) in May for the baptism, but it's unlikely to be because William T had a connection to Bulmer.

Do you think it says engine fitter on the baptism record?

kiterunner
05-10-19, 15:32
Also, Ancestry has transcribed the father of Lilian Edith's children as Charles Edward, (presumably) working from the full-size image!

kiterunner
05-10-19, 15:33
Do you think it says engine fitter on the baptism record?

It doesn't look like it to me. Could possibly be mechanic?

Merry
05-10-19, 15:33
On FreeBMD, there are two Taylor grooms with the same marriage page number, George William and Charles Edward. So it looks likely that George William Taylor married Kate Rebecca Fraser. Unless you have found a marriage record which says something different?

George W and Kate R Taylor are together in 1901.

Merry
05-10-19, 15:34
It doesn't look like it to me. Could possibly be mechanic?

Could be. When I messed around with the image on Photoshop, I could read a lot of the other stuff on the page, but not that occupation!

kiterunner
05-10-19, 15:37
Here is a William Tailor, engine fitter, in Coventry in 1911:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2352/rg14_18557_0313_04/20176249?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.u k%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdbid%3d2352%26gsfn%3dwil*%26gsln%3 dta*l*r%26gsfn_x%3d1%26gsln_x%3d1%26cp%3d0%26gskw% 3dengine%2bfitter%26gskw_x%3d1%26pcat%3d%26qh%3dyc ZESv6w7ggekrpo6Kq2bw%253d%253d%26hc%3d20%26new%3d1 %26rank%3d1%26uidh%3dvm5%26redir%3dfalse&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults

kiterunner
05-10-19, 15:39
And a William Taylor but it says "Motor" rather than locomotive:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/2352/rg14_18579_0051_03/20381373?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.co.u k%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fdbid%3d2352%26gsfn%3dwil*%26gsln%3 dta*l*r%26gsfn_x%3d1%26gsln_x%3d1%26cp%3d0%26gskw% 3dengine%2bfitter%26gskw_x%3d1%26hc%3d20%26new%3d1 %26rank%3d1%26fh%3d20%26fsk%3dMDsxOTsyMA-61--61-%26uidh%3dvm5%26redir%3dfalse&backlabel=ReturnSearchResults

I don't suppose we are likely to find the right William anyway, or at least to find proof that he is the right one.

Anstey Nomad
05-10-19, 15:44
William Tailor - birthplace London *bangs head on brick wall*!

William Taylor - birthplace Birmingham ditto.

Both of those addresses are walking distance from Cox Street.

kiterunner
05-10-19, 15:48
This is 81 Cox Street in 1901:
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/7814/WARRG13_2912_2912-0337?pid=16889225&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Ctf16078&_phstart=successSource#?imageId=WARRG13_2912_2912-0335
I think the enumerator has put the uninhabited house addresses on the same lines as people living in the inhabited ones, or something weird? Anyway, no Mortlocks or Taylors.

Phoenix
05-10-19, 15:58
Why Bulmer?

I have travelled down Church Road, courtesy of Street View and the only house over 100 years old is what looks like the rectory. FMP only has 8 schedules in 1901, which sounds about right. Everyone is an ag lab and local, save for the servants on the Auberries Estate.

Merry
05-10-19, 15:59
I don't suppose we are likely to find the right William anyway, or at least to find proof that he is the right one.

No, might be very tricky, but success has been known!

Merry
05-10-19, 16:06
Why Bulmer?

I have travelled down Church Road, courtesy of Street View and the only house over 100 years old is what looks like the rectory. FMP only has 8 schedules in 1901, which sounds about right. Everyone is an ag lab and local, save for the servants on the Auberries Estate.

Goodness knows! There was a child called Mortlock in one of the Church Road houses (Edith May? aged 9 in 1911 a niece of the family, the name of which I have forgotten) born Pimlico, but I thought she would be a red herring! I did look up her parents, but of course I've forgotten their names now...I THINK the father was Frederick George Mortlock married around 1895 in London. Any of those in Mr Nomad's family?

Phoenix
05-10-19, 16:20
Ah. In 1841, there is a Martha Mortlock, not born in county, with a baby girl, unnamed in Bulmer. Perhaps history repeats itself?

Phoenix
05-10-19, 16:27
Record set Essex Baptism Index 1538-1920
First name(s) Ellen Maud
Last name Taylor
Baptism year 1902
Birth year 1901
County Essex
Country England
Place Bulmer
Mother's first name(s) Julia
Father's first name(s) William
Father's last name Taylor
Birth date 04 May 1901
Baptism date 06 Mar 1902
Father's occupation Mechanic
Residence Pononbey
Archive
Essex Record Office
Archive reference D/P 358/1/7

Phoenix
05-10-19, 16:31
Clearly something wrong with the dates, and the transcriber could not make out the address either. Coventry?

kiterunner
05-10-19, 16:36
Clearly something wrong with the dates, and the transcriber could not make out the address either. Coventry?

Ah yes, now we know it should be Coventry, it is clearly Coventry on the tiny image!

(image no 49)

kiterunner
05-10-19, 16:40
Here is a William Taylor, mechanic, in Coventry in 1901:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/7814/WARRG13_2906_2907-0459?pid=16842696&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Ctf16081&_phstart=successSource

Phoenix
05-10-19, 16:53
For the record, Edith May's mother was Sophia Mary (or May) Middleditch.

She went through three husbands, starting with Frederick George Mortlock, before ending up in Cane Hill Hospital in 1939.

Merry
05-10-19, 17:04
Here is a William Taylor, mechanic, in Coventry in 1901:

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/7814/WARRG13_2906_2907-0459?pid=16842696&treeid=&personid=&rc=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Ctf16081&_phstart=successSource

And in 1911 he is a cycle frame filer, still in Coventry at 125 Lower Ford St.

Merry
06-10-19, 07:56
I doubt there was a huge need for a loco engine fitter/mechanic in Bulmer; perhaps far more so in Coventry!

I noticed the Medlock's address in 1901 was 138 Station St East in Coventry, but this street seems quite a way from a railway station today. Was there ever another station?

EDIT was it near the (now closed) Coundon Road station? I was just wondering where she might have met Mr Taylor a few months after the 1901 census. Of course we don't know where she was employed as a domestic cook.

Merry
06-10-19, 08:10
Hmm, if that station was where Coundon Road is now, then it's not near the 1901 address either. I know walking a mile or two wouldn't be a big deal, but it does seem odd to have a Station St not near a station!

Merry
06-10-19, 08:12
Station St West is also on the east side of the railway line, so was the line originally further to the east?

Merry
06-10-19, 08:20
Or were the streets named because of a tram line/station?

Anstey Nomad
06-10-19, 09:02
Station Street East/West is nowhere near a station now, but there may have been one in the area in the past. I'm now trying to find out.

It's not quite the same now because of development, but Lower Ford Street was just round the corner from Cox Street - literally.

Anstey Nomad
06-10-19, 09:05
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foleshill_railway_station

This could be the answer.