PDA

View Full Version : Name change by Deed Poll

vallee
02-03-12, 12:23
I dont want to put the real names on here but would love suggestions about this.
Lets say

First Marriage
Linda SMITH marries John BROWN in 1929

John BROWN dies 1950

Second Marriage
Linda BROWN nee SMITH marries Alan JONES in 1970

Alan JONES dies in 1972

Third Marriage
Linda JONES formerly BROWN nee SMITH marries Roger GREEN in 1973

Roger GREEN does not die till 1994

Fourth Marriage
Linda GREEN formerly BROWN formerly JONES nee SMITH marries Tom COBBLY in 1986

She uses her First Husbands Surname ??? and it says under the Name and Address ,Changed name by Deed Poll, it also says under condition ,Previous Marriage dissolved ??? not Marriages .

Any ideas please

Merry
02-03-12, 12:41
She uses her First Husbands Surname ??? and it says under the Name and Address ,Changed name by Deed Poll, it also says under condition ,Previous Marriage dissolved ??? not Marriages .

I'm a bt confused as I can't see where you mean she is using her first husband's surname, except when she married her second husband?

It would always say "previous marriage disolved" (ie the last one) as the expectation would be that any earlier marriages would have officially ended before the "previous" marriage had begun, so the authorities would only requre proof of the ending of the most recent marriage. (My OH had been divorced twice before he married me, but only had to show the second decree absolute)

vallee
02-03-12, 12:46
thanks Merry on her 4th marriage she also uses her first husbands Surname ??

Would it mean then she divorced the third husband before marrying the 4th as he was still alive when she remarried?

Merry
02-03-12, 13:26
Isn't she using her third husband's surname at her fourth marriage?

Fourth Marriage
Linda GREEN formerly BROWN formerly JONES nee SMITH marries Tom COBBLY in 1986

Just the 'formerly' names are round the wrong way if you were being picky!

Yes, I would assume 'previous marriage dissolved' would mean the last one, to Roger Green. Whether she and either of her two other husbands were divorced before the men died is open to speculation (unless you have the following marriage cert and it says 'widow').

vallee
02-03-12, 13:27
thought I had written it right way round sorry if I didn't, she uses the first husbands surname when remarrying on the 4th

Merry
02-03-12, 13:53
Oh, OK. I guess that's a bit unusual. Did she only have children with the first husband? Maybe if she didn't wish to be known by her last OH's surname after the divorce, it might seem easiest to change the surname to the same one the children had, even if they were grown by that time.

Merry
02-03-12, 13:57
Or.....maybe she and husband 1 were divorced before his death and the other marriages could not be proved to have ended, so it was easiest to make it look like she had been married once before and that marriage had ended because she had proof! Who knows?!!

vallee
02-03-12, 14:05
okay thanks Merry I do have a good reason for wanting to know this, never mind.
Hope you and the family are well

kiterunner
02-03-12, 17:13
I think Merry's suggestion in post #6 is likely.

vallee
02-03-12, 19:10
thanks Kite yes she did ony have children by the first Husband, you cannot get divorce records after 20 years can you ? would love to know who divorced who on her third marriage ?

Muggins in Sussex
02-03-12, 19:49
thanks Kite yes she did ony have children by the first Husband, you cannot get divorce records after 20 years can you ? would love to know who divorced who on her third marriage ?

I've probably got the wrong end of the stick Val :d - but my grandmother went through divorce proceedings in 1928-9 - I found the ref on TNA website & have read the papers at Kew

Good luck, anyhow!

vallee
02-03-12, 20:30
hi Joan , thanks for that we did find another rellies on there from quite some years ago, will have a look.

kiterunner
02-03-12, 21:52
you cannot get divorce records after 20 years can you ?

It looks as though you can, Val:

http://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/GetLeaflet.do?court_leaflets_id=134
(click on the link to the PDF on there)

But at that date it might not be significant who divorced whom as they could just have agreed amicably to get a divorce.

kiterunner
02-03-12, 21:53
Also it would be worth having a look on here in case the deed poll is listed:
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

vallee
02-03-12, 22:07
thanks very much Kite will do