PDA

View Full Version : fmp question

Phoenix
15-10-09, 16:19
Being offered various sub rates:

£60 - year of 1911
£120 - year of all censuses etc

Can I download ALL docs to my records, so I can view them once sub has expired? If so, I might be tempted by fmp rather than Ancestry.

Mandy in Wiltshire
15-10-09, 17:20
I've been using FMP regularly for a few years now and have downloaded everything I've looked at (eg passenger lists etc). I've usually used Ancestry for census images but I'm not going to bother renewing my Ancestry sub as I've just got the FMP + 1911 with a 20% loyalty discount.

Funny you should mention this, as I want to have a play around tonight; census images are saved in DejaVu format which is fine if you just want to open them and look at them, but DejaVu doesn't seem to be compatible with Family Tree Maker. When I add an image to an individual, it's just showing as a blank page so I want to make sure that I can fiddle about and save it in another format somehow.

I've done a few lookups this week and when I've emailed the saved images, the people have been able to open them and read them with no problems.

Phoenix
15-10-09, 17:28
Just been on the phone to a friend who is producing a beginners disk and he was wittering on about dejaVu - teach me not to pay attention!

Were you talking about saving them on your harddrive, as opposed to within fmp? I find it brilliant that I have access to all the associated 1911 census images, simply by logging in, but I rather thought that with Ancestry, once your sub had expired, you couldn't view images you'd previously looked at?

Mandy in Wiltshire
15-10-09, 17:31
Just been on the phone to a friend who is producing a beginners disk and he was wittering on about dejaVu - teach me not to pay attention!

Were you talking about saving them on your harddrive, as opposed to within fmp? I find it brilliant that I have access to all the associated 1911 census images, simply by logging in, but I rather thought that with Ancestry, once your sub had expired, you couldn't view images you'd previously looked at?

Don't worry, DejaVu is only another form of viewer, nothing complicated :)

Yes, I always save everything to my own computer, no particular reason other than personal choice :)

Phoenix
15-10-09, 17:44
Thanks Mandy!

I call myself Phoenix because I kill so many computers - and when I do resurrect them, images are often in unreadable programs. That's why being able to access them from a site, which would keep its software up to date & user friendly, would be ideal.

Mandy in Wiltshire
15-10-09, 18:00
Thanks Mandy!

I call myself Phoenix because I kill so many computers - and when I do resurrect them, images are often in unreadable programs. That's why being able to access them from a site, which would keep its software up to date & user friendly, would be ideal.

LOL, I didn't realise the reason for your name :d In that case, you're probably very wise to store your info separately :p

borobabs
15-10-09, 20:10
Store onto your computer then save the images onto a disc or pen then that way you will know if anything happens to comp they will be safe ;;

Mandy in Wiltshire
15-10-09, 20:15
Store onto your computer then save the images onto a disc or pen then that way you will know if anything happens to comp they will be safe ;;

I ought to remember to do that regularly too :o

Mandy in Wiltshire
15-10-09, 20:17
I've now had a little fiddle and can confirm that DejaVu images (from FMP) ARE compatible with Vista and Family Tree Maker 2009.

I was previously using XP and FTM 2006, so perhaps it was one of those that didn't like the DejaVu images.

I picked a person at random to look up on the 1911 and then discovered that my great-uncle, aged 11, wasn't with his parents and brothers on the night of the census, so now I've landed myself the job of finding him :d

peppie
15-10-09, 21:52
Phoenix, you can store ancestry images on your computer to look at after a sub has expired too. :)

If you take a pen thingy down to the LDS you can copy any images from any of their subscribed websites onto it to take home free and that includes the 1911.

scuda
16-10-09, 07:38
Once you've saved a DjVu image on your computer you can change it to a bmp (and from there to whatever you like). Just open the DjVu image and go to 'Export to file' in the file menu - bmp is the only option, but once I've done that I always change them to jpg format, as the file size is much smaller.

scuda

maggie_4_7
16-10-09, 08:24
There are two viewer options on FMP Standard and Enhanced.

The standard viewer is the default option and uses Adobe Flash the enhanced one is Dijvu.

I use the default standard Adobe one because its actually better for me.

I did use the Dijvu orginally but it caused me too many problems down the line when I wanted to share images with other people that didn't have DijVu installed because the images were saved in that format too. I just found it too time consuming to keep changing the format later.

With the standard one when you save the image you can choose with file to save it as by browsing I always save as JPGs and in some instances as Tiffs which is generally okay for any image viewer that someone may have on their PC.

The Dijvu one was originally for slower dial up users.

Mandy in Wiltshire
16-10-09, 08:49
Once you've saved a DjVu image on your computer you can change it to a bmp (and from there to whatever you like). Just open the DjVu image and go to 'Export to file' in the file menu - bmp is the only option, but once I've done that I always change them to jpg format, as the file size is much smaller.

scuda

Thanks for that very useful tip, I was trying to save in another format but couldn't find any way of doing it :)

EDIT: I've just tried that - clicked on 'export to file' and chose bmp, the only option, but now the bmp version has vanished altogether! Tried search but it's only coming up with the old version which is now empty. Where could it have gone?

scuda
16-10-09, 09:15
I've just tried that - clicked on 'export to file' and chose bmp, the only option, but now the bmp version has vanished altogether! Tried search but it's only coming up with the old version which is now empty. Where could it have gone?

I just save mine in the folder where I have the DjVu image, but you should be able to save it where you like, via the usual drop-down menu.

scuda

Mandy in Wiltshire
16-10-09, 09:20
I just save mine in the folder where I have the DjVu image, but you should be able to save it where you like, via the usual drop-down menu.

scuda

Well that's what I thought, I don't remember seeing a drop-down menu and it confused me when it didn't come up in a search either :confused: I'll have another go!

EDIT: Very strange, I saved it to the same folder as the DejaVu image but it's definitely not there. I'll ask my OH when he gets back later tonight (he's an IT man).

maggie_4_7
16-10-09, 09:45
Well that's what I thought, I don't remember seeing a drop-down menu and it confused me when it didn't come up in a search either :confused: I'll have another go!

EDIT: Very strange, I saved it to the same folder as the DejaVu image but it's definitely not there. I'll ask my OH when he gets back later tonight (he's an IT man).

Its probably the view for that folder its set to view one type of file (Dijvu) probably need to change it to view all files. You'd probably be better off using the Standard viewer.

Mandy in Wiltshire
16-10-09, 09:48
Its probably the view for that folder its set to view one type of file (Dijvu) probably need to change it to view all files. You'd probably be better off using the Standard viewer.

No, I've viewed the folders with the 'all files' option and it doesn't show up in a search either. Hmmmmm :confused:

Phoenix
16-10-09, 10:13
The reason I asked the question in the first place - I do have all sorts of images stored away in all sorts of places - is that the unique value of the 1911 census is the linked images. I probably wouldn't want to save all five or six images, especially as they might not be unique.
So, once a subscription has expired, can you still view the images you previously looked at? Or do you have to save them?

maggie_4_7
16-10-09, 12:03
I have upgraded and now can access the 1911 through my sub but I can't see or get to the extra documents through FMP you only see the household image you have to go to the 1911 site and a log on and you can view your record history for the 1911 and get to what you originally viewed on the 1911 that way.

What FMP doesn't do as far as I can see is keep all the records you view like the 1911. So anything you view if you don't save it you'll have to go search for it again and pay again.

Merry
16-10-09, 12:19
the unique value of the 1911 census is the linked images.

What are they?

Phoenix
16-10-09, 12:31
What are they?

Merry!

It's the cover sheets, enumerators' schedules, enumerators' descriptions etc etc. All the stuff that was visible on microfilm & the other websites hide from us or simply haven't reproduced.

Phoenix
16-10-09, 12:32
Thanks, Maggie!

So 1911 is okay bythe sounds of it, but the rest turns into a pumpkin at midnight!

Merry
16-10-09, 12:43
Merry!

It's the cover sheets, enumerators' schedules, enumerators' descriptions etc etc. All the stuff that was visible on microfilm & the other websites hide from us or simply haven't reproduced.

I haven't looked at the 1911 census since it first came out, so wasn't aware of those things being available. I've not spotted anything on the official site - do you only become aware if you actually access a page of census? (which I've not done for months). I don't have a FMP sub. Erm....I don't think I've ever seen a census on microfilm!

Margaret in Burton
16-10-09, 13:36
I haven't looked at the 1911 census since it first came out, so wasn't aware of those things being available. I've not spotted anything on the official site - do you only become aware if you actually access a page of census? (which I've not done for months). I don't have a FMP sub. Erm....I don't think I've ever seen a census on microfilm!

Ooh Merry

That was how we had to view it at libraries etc before any were on the Internet.
Microfilm for 1841-1881 and then when the 1891 came out it was on microfiche.

A whole new experience. I remember counting the months off until the 1891 was released and then have to travel the country to view it wherever your ancestors lived. Not indexed either.

Happy days! NOT

Merry
16-10-09, 13:44
Thinking about it, I think I saw the 1881 on fiche at our local library. I remember you had to stand up to view it as the fiche reader was on top of the cabinet holding the fiche and it was a four draw one.

It was there that we made the mistake of thinking OH's gg-grandmother was born in Copenhagen, not realising a man might have more than one wife with the same Christian name!

Mandy in Wiltshire
16-10-09, 15:11
What are they?

*whispers* I didn't know either, Merry :o

kiterunner
16-10-09, 15:46
Merry, if you go onto the 1911 census site and look at one of your pages that you have already paid to view, you will see there are some new options like "Enumerators Book Pages" (apostrophe missing on the site, don't blame me!) and "Household Original Pages - Address". That one can be very useful as the head of household's name may be filled in even if s/he was away from home on census night (as I've just found out when I looked at the Address page for my g-grandmother's household to see an example! It says Mr Bristow for head of household but he isn't listed on the actual census page; presumably he was away at sea).

Merry
16-10-09, 15:46
*whispers* I didn't know either, Merry :o

I still don't know where they are?!!

kiterunner
16-10-09, 15:47
Read my reply that I was typing while you typed yours, Merry; does that help?

Merry
16-10-09, 15:51
Oops, thanks Kite! I'd never looked at any of my previously viewed images before - that's great :D

Mandy in Wiltshire
16-10-09, 16:04
Oops, thanks Kite! I'd never looked at any of my previously viewed images before - that's great :D

Sorry, I must be incredibly thick today, I can't see where to view my previously viewed searches on FMP, let alone the other options :o

kiterunner
16-10-09, 16:10
Sorry, Mandy, I don't know if you can do it on FMP; I was talking about the 1911 site. Phoenix's original question was whether this is possible on FMP but I don't know as I don't have a sub.

Mandy in Wiltshire
16-10-09, 16:19
Sorry, Mandy, I don't know if you can do it on FMP; I was talking about the 1911 site. Phoenix's original question was whether this is possible on FMP but I don't know as I don't have a sub.

Ahhh, I see. Thanks, Kite, I thought I was going doolally :d

I'll have a scout round FMP and see if those images are on there anywhere.

maggie_4_7
16-10-09, 16:21
No you can't do it through FMP you can only see the household's page FMP.

Phoenix
16-10-09, 16:23
I think someone said you only get it on the 1911 site. And it's possible that your previous searches don't appear in "my records" if you've got a sub.

Mandy in Wiltshire
16-10-09, 18:50
I think someone said you only get it on the 1911 site. And it's possible that your previous searches don't appear in "my records" if you've got a sub.

Well I've had a good scout around; I can't find anywhere to view the linked images, or anywhere to view my previously viewed images :(

maggie_4_7
17-10-09, 17:20
Well I've had a good scout around; I can't find anywhere to view the linked images, or anywhere to view my previously viewed images :(

As I said before FMP does not have that facility.

It also doesn't let you see the other images attached to the households pages on the 1911 census it is exclusively only the 1911 site that lets you do that if you only access images through that site.