PDA

View Full Version : And...yet more Ariels.

HarrysMum
29-02-12, 09:53
I'm off to bed shortly but thought I'd leave these here in case anyone else wants to go stark raving mad.....lol

The Ariels all seem to be around Bristol at this time.

I have William Ariel marrying Elizabeth Griffith 1748.

John Ariel bap 4 Feb 1727 Bristol, father William. I'm presuming this is the above William's brother.

Baptisms.....
Mary 12 March 1742 father William
Elizabeth 5 May 1745 father William.

Burials....
Mary 11 Feb 1743
Betty 24 July 1745 (could be Elizabeth)
William 7 Feb 1745
Timy 5 April 1757

Marriages....here's where it gets fun
Sarah Ariel m Austin Webb 25 June 1746
Sarah Ariel m Daniel White 6 July 1746
Sarah Ariel m Nicholas Walker 1764 (no date)

Those images have been checked and they are correct names.

Also some Arill people from Bristol
Baptisms...
Sarah 10 Jan 1741 father William
Joseph 15 July 1747 father William

Burials...
Sarah 26 Jan 1741

Marriages...
William Arill to Sarah Cross 14 Nov 1744
Ann Arill to Thomas Cummins 2 April 1758

I would possibly discount the Arill lot but two of them (Sarah's bap and William's marriage) are ARIEL on the image at LDS.

Then there are definite children of William Ariel and Elizabeth Griffith
Elizabeth 1752
William 1757
Mary 1762
No baps for these but they are non-con around this time.

So if anyone wants to try to sort them....feel free...

kiterunner
29-02-12, 10:19
Not sure exactly what you are trying to find out, sorry.

Merry
29-02-12, 10:57
lol Probably just anything!!!

I did see this, which suggests there must have been another John before the bap in 1727.

Daily Gazetteer (London Edition) (London, England), Tuesday, June 21, 1737

Bristol News June 17: Arrived at Virginia, The New Kent, John Ariel (presume he is the ship owner?)

Merry
29-02-12, 11:15
I do get mixed up with the generations. William who married Elizabeth Kirkby and is the one b abt 1757 - Was he the one who was a ship broker?

And his father, Wm who married Eliz Griffiths, was the one who was a wine merchant? Of course that might be shipping in wine from overseas rather than having a little shop! I see this Wm died in 1792. Did he have a will?

Merry
29-02-12, 12:07
I've said this before, I think, but this John:

John Ariel bap 4 Feb 1727 Bristol, father William. I'm presuming this is the above William's brother.

was apprenticed in Bristol in 1742 to Stephen Bagg, a currier.

HarrysMum
29-02-12, 19:01
Good morning.....

lol Merry you are correct with your answer to Kite....anything that might sort them into generations.

William born 1757 was a trader. East India, West Indies etc, cotton, wine, sugar, shipping etc. William born about 1720ish seemed from little snippets I have to be much the same.

There is a John who is a shipwright and also appears as a ship owner in London.

I can't find a will for William who died 1792.

Merry
29-02-12, 19:05
I can't find a will for William who died 1792

Did you remember to check Origins?! :p

HarrysMum
29-02-12, 19:16
Did you remember to check Origins?! :p

Actually....yes....lol

Not one Ariel/Ariell/ Arill etc will there at all. Not sure why I rarely get ahything on that site.

Janet
01-03-12, 02:12
lol Probably just anything!!!

I did see this, which suggests there must have been another John before the bap in 1727.

Daily Gazetteer (London Edition) (London, England), Tuesday, June 21, 1737

Bristol News June 17: Arrived at Virginia, The New Kent, John Ariel (presume he is the ship owner?)

No, he's the captain, Merry. I don't think you were in on this thread:
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=9543

Merry
01-03-12, 06:16
lol Thanks Janet. I looked at the captains registers index (without noticing they don't go back far enough!) and as he wasn't there (not surprisingly :rolleyes:) made an (incorrect) assumption!

I guess that means there should be more information 'out there' about him (I didn't read all of that other thread). *wonders in which country John Ariel was born* :rolleyes:

Libby, (*adopts school-marmish expression*) this is why we need you to have this part of OHs tree online somewhere where we can all look at it! lol It's so complicated and there are so many little snippets of info around, we keep finding the same stuff, but might never make that connection between those two vital bits of info that could open the floodgates, because we can't remember it all :D:D:D

HarrysMum
01-03-12, 08:27
And...............how do I do that????

(speak real slow like)

kiterunner
01-03-12, 08:38
If you have your tree on your computer and can export a GEDCOM, you could upload it to Tribal Pages, but if you want a free membership they have a limit on the size of new trees, just trying to find out what it is:
http://www.tribalpages.com/index.html?m=1

kiterunner
01-03-12, 08:41
Looks like it is 500 names. But if you can split off just the Ariel branch of your tree maybe it will be small enough?

HarrysMum
01-03-12, 09:15
Thanks Kite.....had my nose in your tree...lol

anne fraser
01-03-12, 09:52
I found this one on google books. I hope you can see it Libby. http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=N6rNAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA234&lpg=PA234&dq=william+ariel+bristol&source=bl&ots=AENbLBZYGO&sig=EnykbRRnoBOrRrnNYW1MuPJsBjA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=z1NPT5THKfS00QWiyuH7Cw&ved=0CC8Q6AEwADgK#v=onepage&q=william%20ariel%20bristol&f=false.
When we used to do the geneologist challenge on familytreeforum we used to set up a tree on tribal pages or ancestry and allow each other to edit. You can always start a new tree on ancestry for the bit you are interested in. Both tribal pages and ancestry let you have several trees. We deleted them as soon as the challenge was over.

HarrysMum
01-03-12, 10:25
Thanks Anne....that William is the one born 1757.

Good idea about a small tree. Will try to sort that in the morning.

I remember that challenge. You all did my Ketleys for me..