PDA

View Full Version : London School records 1840-1911 - ancestry

kiterunner
29-02-12, 07:01
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1938

School admissions and discharges.

These were indexed by the World Archives Project volunteers, so the index should be free for everyone.

It doesn't include private schools, though, so I don't think many of my direct ancestors will be on there. But hoping to find some rellies!

suffolksue
29-02-12, 07:02
Added to Ancestry yesterday.

ElizabethHerts
29-02-12, 07:15
I've searched for a few, but they all seem to be later in the century. I haven't found any early entries yet.

kiterunner
29-02-12, 07:15
Wow, I've already found my great-uncle!

kiterunner
29-02-12, 07:28
I've searched for a few, but they all seem to be later in the century. I haven't found any early entries yet.

School attendance wasn't compulsory until 1870.

ElizabethHerts
29-02-12, 07:29
School attendance wasn't compulsory until 1870.

Most of the people I'm looking for would have attended school. I suspect OH's ancestors were educated privately, though.

Sue from Southend
29-02-12, 07:58
At last! I've been waiting for these for a very long time. Off to look - I may be a while as nearly all of my tree would have attended schools in London.

Sue from Southend
29-02-12, 08:05
I've already found my Grandfather!

A hint for everyone is to click on the following image as it may give extra information ie when they left the school, grades etc.

Langley Vale Sue
29-02-12, 08:21
They don't seem to be complete yet. I found a GG uncle in Fulham, but none of his siblings. Neither my grandfather nor any of his siblings are there and they should be in Fulham & Putney.

Two of my grandmother's sisters are there in Putney & Southfields, but not my grandmother, who was born between the two, nor any other siblings. I know the younger siblings all attended the same school as I have a photo of them at school in about 1907.

Lynn the Forest Fan
29-02-12, 08:58
Wow, I have found my grandad & his brother & possibly his sister. I wish I had a sub!

kiterunner
29-02-12, 10:39
I've been looking at my grandfather's cousins and am now completely confused! I can't find the girls - not sure if a register is missing or if they went to a private school, and the boys - one of them has two completely different dates of birth! Evidently his parents split up just after the 1891 census and he moved house with his mother and changed school, but why he would have two completely different dates of birth, I can't figure out, and have never found his birth registration so I don't know which is right. I might post it up later to puzzle people but must go and get some shopping done now!

Asa
01-03-12, 05:55
I've found this really frustrating! I used to find so much info when I searched the records at the LMA but am finding very little extra and quite a bit less:) Was really hoping to find my great grandparents but alas not though I can find some of her siblings. My grandmother's family name was quite unusual and went back in Islington/ Kings Cross several generations and none of them appear:s

Lynn the Forest Fan
01-03-12, 06:04
I found my grandma & her younger brother at the same school as her future husband & his brother, but not his sister. I found 2 of her other siters at a different school but no trace of 2 more sisters.

Muggins in Sussex
01-03-12, 06:05
I found Henry William Wicks :d:confused:

PS What does it mean when it says the child was "removed"? Does it just mean he or she was transferred to another school?

kiterunner
01-03-12, 07:49

PS What does it mean when it says the child was "removed"? Does it just mean he or she was transferred to another school?

I think it means they were taken out of the school before the date when they would normally have left, could be because the family moved house or could just be because they wanted to move him to a different school for whatever reason.

Kit
01-03-12, 08:47

Does it help with anything? *hopeful smilie*

maggie_4_7
01-03-12, 13:49
I found my grandma & her younger brother at the same school as her future husband & his brother, but not his sister. I found 2 of her other siters at a different school but no trace of 2 more sisters.

I found three of my grandfather's siblings (records frm different years too) but not him or the others but oldest born 1867 last born 1888 (my grandfather) so maybe records destroyed or lost!

I only found one of my grandmother's siblings.

Sue from Southend
01-03-12, 16:04
I'm feeling quite disappointed with these records after waiting so long.

I still can't find my grandmother although I do have some of her older siblings. I was hoping to get a clue as to where she might be 1911!

I think a lot of records are missing. I can remember looking for my other Grandmother's school records at the LMA (I knew which school) and they didn't have them although I have found her as an infant with these records. So if the LMA didn't have them originally they're not going magically appear on Ancestry!

kiterunner
13-06-17, 18:47
These have just been updated. I don't know what's been added.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=1938

kiterunner
31-07-17, 09:06
Two new databases have been added:

London School Admissions and Discharges 1912-18 (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=61572)

and

London Poor Law School District Registers 1852-1918 (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=61452)