PDA

View Full Version : I did threaten to add more Ariels....

HarrysMum
28-02-12, 22:15
And here they are.............

Mary Ariel marries Charles Berry in 1804. Apparently Mary is born about 1762...the only bap I have is 1742?

They seem to have no children or at least none surviving and reproducing.

Mary Berry's will has a whole swag of nieces and nephews, however they could be great nieces etc.......

We need to work out how the following are connected to Mary.

William Edwards (married Sarah Bailey Morgan in 1832)
Henry Edwards (accountant aged 30 in 1841)
Eliza Edwards (married Henry Graham 1840) She was born Bristol 1815.
Susan Edwards (married Robert Slater Bayley 1833) She was born Bristol 1807
Jane Edwards apparently unmarried in 1847.

Other surnames in the will which Merry has kindly sorted include
Taylor, Gray, Maddock, Bennett, Ransford. I think we are fine with these but they may help connect the Edwards lot.

kiterunner
28-02-12, 22:30
When did Mary die? Do you have her burial, and if so, does it give her age at death? Do you have details of her marriage? i.e. where, and names of witnesses? Also do you know who Mary's parents were?

kiterunner
28-02-12, 22:45
Eliza Edwards (married Henry Graham 1840)

Have you got a copy of their marriage certificate, and if so, what's Eliza's father's name and occupation? If not perhaps you should order it!

HarrysMum
29-02-12, 00:55
Mary Berry died 1847. Her parents are William Ariel and Elizabeth Griffith/s

She was born Bristol.

HarrysMum
29-02-12, 01:06
Robert Slater Bayley (according to Google) was a congregational minister in Sheffield. That fits because this lot had a lot of non-cons.

Merry
29-02-12, 06:04
William Edwards (married Sarah Bailey Morgan in 1832)
Henry Edwards (accountant aged 30 in 1841)
Eliza Edwards (married Henry Graham 1840) She was born Bristol 1815.
Susan Edwards (married Robert Slater Bayley 1833) She was born Bristol 1807
Jane Edwards apparently unmarried in 1847.

Two seconds to type....

Wm's widow and children are on the 1851 census in Clifton. Wm's wife and children are without him in 1841 (Cheltenham Place?). (Look for dau Julia b 1839 in 1841. her first name has the first couple of letters missing in 1851)

Henry is in Bristol in 1841 (accountant) no further sightings

Eliza and Susan have been traced through to death. They moved away

Jane is missing. She was supposed to be in Louth, Lincs (from memory)

Mary B nee Ariel says these are her nieces and nephews, but they are very young to be that and would presumably have to be the children of an unknown Ariel sister and her OH Mr Edwards. The unknown sister would have to have had a l-o-n-g reproductive life! So are they great-nieces and nephews? (Mary has described another g-nephew incorrectly in her will) They might be the children of an unknown Taylor (and therefore grandchildren of sister Elizabeth Ariel and her OH Joshua Taylor - (we now know they had several children, but Libby would have to tell you those)

First school run shortly.....

kiterunner
29-02-12, 06:57
And the answer to this...? (post #3)

Have you got a copy of their marriage certificate, and if so, what's Eliza's father's name and occupation? If not perhaps you should order it!

Merry
29-02-12, 07:04
They might be the children of an unknown Taylor (and therefore grandchildren of sister Elizabeth Ariel and her OH Joshua Taylor - (we now know they had several children, but Libby would have to tell you those)

No, that bit's a lie!

Eliz Ariel and Joshua Taylor had three known children;

Joshua who married Charlotte Perkins, had a load of children, some born in Devizes

Elizabeth who married Wm Gray and had a load of children and moved to Northampton via Chipping Norton (?) Oxon

Sarah who died unmarried in the 1850s.

Sorry, this is from memory as I don't have time for the exact details.

Just to save people looking up the same stuff again.....

So, perhaps we need another dau for Eliz and Joshua Taylor who married an Edwards?.....

Time for another school run............

HarrysMum
29-02-12, 07:25
Gee you're good Merry......well done.

No I don't have the cert. I may have to fork out for it although it's a far twig......ooh just had a thought....back soon...

HarrysMum
29-02-12, 07:29
Rest easy...she's not here yet.

Yes...I will get that cert.

Just been reading more about Robert Slater Bayley....colourful fellow...lol

Merry........just a thought and you will possible never talk to me again......but...

Matilda SLATER Crowdy married Mr Dunsford.....remember him???

Merry
29-02-12, 07:57
lol!! I have some Slaters in my tree too, but they started out as Slaughters! ;(

Which cert do you mean? :o

Merry
29-02-12, 08:02
It's frustrating that we don't know when Joshua Taylor senr died (do we?) as we would then know how much room there is for Elizabeth nee Ariel to have had more children. We only have three children and Eliz was still under 30 when the last one was born.

Merry
29-02-12, 08:03
And the answer to this...? (post #3)

Oops, missed that!! lol

HarrysMum
29-02-12, 08:03
The marriage between Eliza Edwards and Henry Graham.

I found a bap (non-con) for an Eliza Edwards 1815 at Chatham Kent.....place of abode St Pauls Bristol. Parents William and Rebecca.....maybe

HarrysMum
29-02-12, 08:05
Josh sen died prior to William Ariel's will....lol.

Strange that William didn't mention the other Taylor kids....maybe he thought they were fine....and he was only their uncle.

HarrysMum
29-02-12, 08:08
Just another thought....these Edward kids don't belong to the Berry side by any chance?

Merry
29-02-12, 08:14
When did Mary die? Do you have her burial, and if so, does it give her age at death? Do you have details of her marriage? i.e. where, and names of witnesses? Also do you know who Mary's parents were?

Mary died in 1848

Deaths Dec 1848
Berry Mary Bristol 11 128

I don't think we have a burial or death cert.

Marriage (I don't know if Libby has the actual record?)

groom's name: Charles Berry
bride's name: Mary Ariel
marriage date: 15 Aug 1804
marriage place: St. James, Bristol, Gloucester, England
bride's marital status: Single
indexing project (batch) number: M17286-6
system origin: England-EASy
source film number: 1596537

Mary's parents were Wm Ariel and Elizabeth Griffith. Mary was the aunt of Myles Ariel and great-aunt of Agatha.

I note that in her will Mary B only had one legacy for the descendants of her brother, William Ariel - that was for his Ransford grandchildren. Libby, do you know why they were picked out? Mary's will was written soon after her great-niece Agatha's divorce.

Merry
29-02-12, 08:17
Just another thought....these Edward kids don't belong to the Berry side by any chance?

I don't know anything for certain. Only clues are that Charles Berry didn't mention them in his will and in Mary's will she did specify other relatives of Charles's as being "of my late husband" but she didn't say that for the Edwards.

Merry
29-02-12, 08:21
I don't know if this helps at all? Please excuse my scrawl!!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/merry_monty_montgomery/Other%20Research/Image1.jpg

ALICIA
19-02-13, 08:29
I have read some of your discussions with other friends and have concluded that your are descended from Myles Ariel and Elizabeth Naylor. I was looking for the letter Myles Ariel wrote to his wife Emily nee Weaver when he went to the goldfields at Sofala. A cousin of mine told me he had seen the letter on computer. I came across this site, and found the letter and your discussions.
I am a great-grand-daughter of Emily Ariel and Sydney Beavan Davis. My maiden name was Ruth Alicia Davis. I have done a lot of research and am writing a book and trying to finish my chapter about Myles and Emily. I could let you know any information you need about my side of the family. I joined this site this afternoon. I live an hour away from Toowoomba so I could look for information about Myles Ariel Clark. I would like to have further discussions with you about the family. Goodbye for now, Alicia.

Val in Oz
19-02-13, 20:26
Welcome Alicia, I hope Libby comes on here soon, although I have a feeling she was busy today, so it may be later than sooner unfortunately.............I can't believe you live within spitting distance..................lol

I am sure she will be in touch as soon as she has read this.
We shall wait patiently..............taps fingers....:d

HarrysMum
19-02-13, 21:29
Hello Alicia......

I've been looking for you lot for years....lol. I have the letter you speak of as well as all the legal bits for that case of missing Myles. I got it all (strangely) form London...lol

I will send you a private message with my contact details. I have a LOT of info on this family, thanks to many people here.

HarrysMum
19-02-13, 21:34
I've sent an email to whatever email address you have here.

***wonders what other little mysteries we'll find***

tenterfieldjulie
19-02-13, 21:39
Woooooo - welcome Alicia .. we all sit on the edge of our seat when the Ariels are mentioned ..... we're all quite normal really .. weeeeeeeeeeel

borobabs
19-02-13, 21:40
Yes welcome Alicia if you pop in but Im a upoverer lol

HarrysMum
19-02-13, 21:49
OK, OK, settle down you lot. We all know the Ariels were /are mad, but we don't want to scare off rellies....lol

Val in Oz
20-02-13, 03:20
Makes Alicia a nice cuppa and offers her a choccy bikkie.

Pulls up a cushion to wait quietly and patiently for some more great discoveries.

You two ladies will remember we're here waiting to find out.........please don't leave us out of the loop........:d:d

geniebug
20-02-13, 05:04
Me too, move over Val. These Ariels have been driving us mad for years.

MacPanda
20-02-13, 07:06
Oh fantastic ....shove over ladies I'll have a coffee thanks Val :D
Love a bit of excitement :)

tenterfieldjulie
20-02-13, 07:09
I am a great fan of Agatha .. the one who didn't die..

Merry
20-02-13, 08:41
I am a great fan of Agatha .. the one who didn't die..

*tuts* and there was me thinking she died in 1851 or shortly before! :D

tenterfieldjulie
20-02-13, 08:43
Merry you being an expert on all things "Agatha" I stand corrected ....

MacPanda
20-02-13, 09:30
Oh no does that leave me with the only everlasting rellie....my grandfather Gilbert Roy Campbell :eek: he'd be 120 this year :d well with Mum still going at 96 maybe he is :d :d

HarrysMum
20-02-13, 09:47
*tuts* and there was me thinking she died in 1851 or shortly before! :D

That's only because a Clark said so. Not sure I'd believe much they said, unless he knew for sure......now how could he know that???

No....not going there..............again.......lol

geniebug
20-02-13, 09:57
Methinks you wont find your Campbell living with Libby's Ariel, Panda, but by all means join in the mystery.

And move over a bit, you're squashing me!

Merry
20-02-13, 12:43
That's only because a Clark said so. Not sure I'd believe much they said, unless he knew for sure......now how could he know that???

No....not going there..............again.......lol

What about the administration of her estate in the Death Duty indexes that Mary in Italy found?

HarrysMum
20-02-13, 19:40
You think the Clarks couldn't manipulate and couple of Gov Departments?

tenterfieldjulie
20-02-13, 20:05
lol