PDA

View Full Version : Another question about FMP

kiterunner
26-02-12, 11:08
I keep finding that if I do a search using the boxes on the front page, i.e. search the whole site for a certain name, it will come back with a list of how many matches it found in each database, but with some of those databases, although it says it found matches, when I click to view them, it comes back saying it found no matches, and if I search that database on its own, even ticking the "Include Variants" boxes, it still finds nothing. Does anyone know what's going on with this, please?

Merry
26-02-12, 11:30
I have never been aware of that happening to me, kate. Could you give an example so i can see if I get the same?

Erm.....I may not still be here to read your reply though :o:o:o *doorbell*

kiterunner
26-02-12, 11:39
How about Robert Salter Bristow? I wanted to check if there was anything else on there relating to him that I had missed, and it says there is a match on the Crew Lists (down in the Education and Work section) but when I click to view it, "Your search has produced no results. Please refine your search".

Mary from Italy
26-02-12, 12:00
That whole-site search is very primitive.

If you amend your search of the Crew Lists to R Bristow it brings up one person, who isn't yours.

kiterunner
26-02-12, 13:07
Thanks, Mary.

HarrysMum
26-02-12, 20:18
I found that as well Kite. Some of the marriages are a bit dodgy. They find 13 matches for a name and when I "view" there isn't anything but the name of the collection.

Merry
26-02-12, 20:26
How about Robert Salter Bristow? I wanted to check if there was anything else on there relating to him that I had missed, and it says there is a match on the Crew Lists (down in the Education and Work section) but when I click to view it, "Your search has produced no results. Please refine your search".

Right, I'm back!

Is it getting confused because you put a middle name in the 'First name' box? I never usually do that, but I tried it with him and got the same result as you. However, when I tried just Robert Bristow, I got one match again which this time did show when I viewed the collection, but wasn't him! lol

Kit
26-02-12, 21:53
Kate FMP is not as user friendly as ancestry. I tend to search one area at a time and not use the whole site search. The transcriptions are better but the search results are not as easy to interpret and I find I need to look at more records on FMP than I do on ancestry.