PDA

View Full Version : Margaret Scott in New Zealand

WendyLF
22-02-12, 15:30
Margaret McFarlane nee Scott estimated birth 1811 (based on 1841 census where her age is listed as 30) apparently emigrated from Scotland to New Zealand with 5 of her 6 sons (this info kindly provided by a tree owner on ancestry) and settled in Southland New Zealand. Margaret also apparently died at Gropers Bush 26 July 1880 and is buried at the Riverton Cemetery. I have 2 problems:
a) I can find the sons on passenger lists i.e. Peter McFarlane with his wife and 2 children on The Sir William Eyre which arrived at Bluff in April 1863 and then Alexander, Donald, Charles and John who arrived on The Indian Empire which arrived at Lyttelton 24 Mar 1864 but have been unsuccessful in tracing/finding her arrival. There are a large number of Margaret Scott’s and I do not know where she left from or where in New Zealand she would have arrived – any assistance would be appreciated.

b) As per the Cemetery search (again info provided) and a BMD Search, she was aged 80 at death, which means she was born approx. 1800 and not 1811 as I have from the 1841 census so I still cannot accurately try and trace her birth. The marriage entry I got off Scotland’s People has provided no further information. Would the actual death certificate give any more details?

kiterunner
22-02-12, 16:30
have been unsuccessful in tracing/finding her arrival. There are a large number of Margaret Scott’s and I do not know where she left from or where in New Zealand she would have arrived – any assistance would be appreciated.
She could well be listed under McFarlane rather than Scott.

b) As per the Cemetery search (again info provided) and a BMD Search, she was aged 80 at death, which means she was born approx. 1800 and not 1811 as I have from the 1841 census so I still cannot accurately try and trace her birth. The marriage entry I got off Scotland’s People has provided no further information. Would the actual death certificate give any more details?

Yes, it should give her parents' names - if the informant knew them. It should also tell you how long she had been in New Zealand. This link will take you to a site with details of what is on a NZ death registration:
https://www.bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/datacollected/death.aspx

kiterunner
22-02-12, 16:39
The ancestry tree shows Margaret's husband Donald McFarlane dying around 1860 but doesn't say where he died. Do you know whether he emigrated to NZ too?

WendyLF
22-02-12, 16:43
According to the owner of the tree, it was only Margaret and the boys, I have also tried tracing his death but no luck yet.
PS I did try the McFarlane search as well for Margaret on the searches I did re her ging to New Zealand.
Thanks for the link to the details on the death cert., will order a printout when the cashflow improves!

kiterunner
22-02-12, 16:52
According to ancestry, the 1851 Scottish census shows Margret Mcfarland age 45 born Clunie, Perthshire, with husband Donald 53 and sons Danald 15 and John 5, living in the parish of Caputh, Perthshire.

Then in 1861 Margret McFarlan is age 52, still living in Caputh with son Alexander 26. Ancestry haven't transcribed marital status so I don't know whether it says she is a widow. Birthplace is transcribed as Logierait, Perthshire.

WendyLF
22-02-12, 17:10
Now how did you find them and I couldn't? Going to try again now..........

WendyLF
22-02-12, 17:38
Thanks a mil, got the 1861 census off Scotland's People and Margaret is listed as a Widow. Amazing how spelling can lead you astray!! I presume then that Doanld died between 1851 and 1861 although I have done seaches over this period, will have to play around with spelling...

maggie_4_7
22-02-12, 17:45
On SP there is a Donald McFarlane dying in 1855 Caputh, Perth mother's maiden name McFarlane aged 41 also one dying in 1861 in Caputh, Perth mother's maiden name McGregor but aged recorded as 15!

Only one before 1855 recorded but not in Caputh.

Actually I might as well list all the Donald McFarlane deaths between 1855 -1861

1855 MCFARLANE DONALD MCFARLANE M 41 CAPUTH
1855 MCFARLANE DONALD M 66 TRINITY GASK
1856 MCFARLANE DONALD MUNRO M 69 ABERFELDY
1858 MCFARLANE DONALD STEWART M 83 LITTLE DUNKELD
1860 MCFARLANE DONALD MCGREGOR M 15 CAPUTH

Actually not sure any of those ages fit or mother's maiden name don't suppose you know that do you :) which is why you want his death.

WendyLF
22-02-12, 18:33
That's a lot more than I found, Thanks. I suppose because I restricted the dates for his age to about 5 years from 1801, I received fewer results. I did find one in Perth pre 1855 also not Caputh (Trinity Gask) but there is no info except 7 Jan 1855 Mortcloth (?) for Donald McFarlane.

maggie_4_7
22-02-12, 18:37
Looking at the info in this thread I would think that the most likely is the first one in 1855 aged 41 but its only 5 credits to check but you need to work out all the facts - it means he would have been born about 1814 as Margaret's DOB is estimated to be 1811 its the most probable but you might know something I don't to dismiss this one.

Yes that's the one I found before 1851.

Edit: I don't think that's your Donald.

maggie_4_7
22-02-12, 18:45
That's a lot more than I found, Thanks. I suppose because I restricted the dates for his age to about 5 years from 1801, I received fewer results. I did find one in Perth pre 1855 also not Caputh (Trinity Gask) but there is no info except 7 Jan 1855 Mortcloth (?) for Donald McFarlane.

Where did you get that info from.

That means that Donald died on or before 7 Jan 1855 - and a Mortcloth is bought to drape over the coffin.

But still don't know if it's your Donald or not unfortunately before 1855 burials were rarely recorded and if they were didn't give much detail other than expenses paid i.e. a Mortcloth was bought...

WendyLF
22-02-12, 18:50
I found that a while ago while looking at his death under the pre 1855 deaths, spent the 5 credits on that one (plus a few others - though not in Caputh as my dates differed) out of curiosity.............. I have him as aged 40 in the 1841 Census and thanks to Kate, aged 53 in the 1851 which is why I restricted my search.

kiterunner
22-02-12, 19:16
Have you asked the tree owner on ancestry whether they have a copy of Margaret's death certificate, Wendy?

Janet
22-02-12, 20:42
I found this thread interesting, Wendy. You'll find another link in there that takes you to a page with more information on the mortcloth.
http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=11684

WendyLF
23-02-12, 15:48
Kate, I originally asked where she had obtained the death information and was given the cemetry details and the link to view the details as well as the link to the first son's trip to New Zealnd. The answer was rather "to the point". Will ask directly though and see what she says.

Janet, Thanks for the link it is interesting.

WendyLF
08-03-12, 18:46
Just to let you know I found Margaret's husband's death - 09.03.1855 aged 57, he was listed as Daniel. Still found the mortcloth information very interesting though and worthwhile.