PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Census query

Muggins in Sussex
18-02-12, 11:36
Hi

I was looking at this image, and wondered why 6 of the occupants appear to have been crossed out and aren't included in the total figures :confused: - I can't see the crossed-out people anywhere else

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=View&r=5538&dbid=2352&iid=RG14_21367_0337_03&fn=Agnes&ln=Bradburn&st=r&ssrc=&pid=20546932

Class: RG14; Piece: 21367.

Merry
18-02-12, 12:04
This is just a guess, but are the last four of the crossed through people the four dec'd children of the head of house?

My other guess is that the first two crossed through might be two of ther daughters who had left home and as thy are listed as married maybe they are on the census elsewhere but with different surnames?

maggie_4_7
18-02-12, 12:18
I think Merry is right without looking at image. All sorts of reasons though I have a few of the 1911 census where both the scenarios Merry has mentioned has happened. I think the column where it says how many children to marriage probably confused them so they feel they have to put their names whether married and living somewhere else or even deceased.

You know what forms are like today...

One starts by answering the questions and by the time you get to the next one the last one is redundant and in those days it would have been especially daunting probably one of the few forms they had to actually fill in.

Muggins in Sussex
18-02-12, 12:18
This is just a guess, but are the last four of the crossed through people the four dec'd children of the head of house?

My other guess is that the first two crossed through might be two of ther daughters who had left home and as thy are listed as married maybe they are on the census elsewhere but with different surnames?

Thanks Merry - that would make sense.

I had thought that the first crossed- out person, was Arnie, but maybe it is Annie!

Merry
18-02-12, 12:23
lol! Well, I was mainly going by the age which is in the female column! Having said that the ages of the little ones who come after are all in the males column though they are girls.

Muggins in Sussex
18-02-12, 12:42
I noticed that, Merry! It's very confusing :confused:

I can't see any obvious births or deaths for the 4 children, apart from a possible birth for Agnes - I'll have a beter look! :d - If the children were dec'd, I wonder whether the ages given for them were the ages they would have been if still alive, or the ages at which they died? :confused:

maggie_4_7
18-02-12, 12:44
awww do you think the 1911 census form utterly confused them?

:(

Muggins in Sussex
18-02-12, 12:46
LOL Maggie :d:d:d:d

You could be right!

Merry
18-02-12, 12:50
If the children were dec'd, I wonder whether the ages given for them were the ages they would have been if still alive, or the ages at which they died?

Ages at death I would think. One of them says three weeks, and I bet she didn't die in the previous three weeks.

Muggins in Sussex
18-02-12, 12:52
Thanks Merry - I'll have another hunt!

Merry
18-02-12, 12:59
??

Deaths Sep 1895
Bradburn Agnes 1 Stockport 8a 59
Bradburn Sarah 3 Stockport 8a 59

Deaths Sep 1908
Bradburn Ellen 1 Stockport 8a 26

I can't see an Amelia.

Merry
18-02-12, 13:01
Here she is:

Deaths Sep 1905
Bradb_rn Amelia 0 Stockport 8a 34

Merry
18-02-12, 13:02
Seems they are in an odd order on the form if those are the right deaths.

Muggins in Sussex
18-02-12, 13:26
Thanks Merry - you're so much quicker than me! :d

It is odd isn't it? - and rather sad

Janet
18-02-12, 14:43
The daughter age 14 who is transcribed Luchia but looks more like Ceclin turns up on the 1901 census as a patient transcribed as Elis Bradburn but more likely, I think, from the image, Elia. Maybe they were trying to spell Cecelia on the 1911?

Muggins in Sussex
18-02-12, 15:36
The daughter age 14 who is transcribed Luchia but looks more like Ceclin turns up on the 1901 census as a patient transcribed as Elis Bradburn but more likely, I think, from the image, Elia. Maybe they were trying to spell Cecelia on the 1911?

Ooh thank you Janet :)
She seems to have been in the Stockport Infirmary, I think - (when I logged back into Ancestry, I had a strange pop-up saying I had been selected to test their latest "image viewer", and everything, including the search facility seems to have changed and I can't really get used to it! :confused:)

But I've looked at the image and it does look like Elia which, as you say, could be short for Cecilia

Thanks again :)

Merry
18-02-12, 15:42
the birth reg is Celia.

Muggins in Sussex
18-02-12, 17:36
the birth reg is Celia.

Thank you Merry :)

I'm all tree'd out at the moment and going for a lie-down!:d