PDA

View Full Version : The Desendents of George wilson?

zoenel
15-02-12, 12:53
Hi everyone, hope evryones well? I have a dilema which I need some help with- I tried at the library and had difficulty finding a birth or a death for george wilson, he is my great uncle and id like to trace the family to swap photographs and stories- george wilson was born in whitwell,worksop in 1880 on the 1881 cencus hes living with his parents george wilson 1842/1897 his mother emma wilson born 1842/ 1896 his brother joseph wilson born 1878/1935 in whitwell.in 1891 the familys living in whitwick,in 1901 hes living in whitwell,again he then married elizabeth merrick dec 1901 in 1911 hes living in larpit lane,whitwell with son john willie wilson born 1903 and his wife elizabeth 1882.im sorry dont know any other information any help would be grateflly recived regarding children or grandchildren for george or a marriage or death for john willie wilson,many thanks

Merry
15-02-12, 13:04
I tried at the library and had difficulty finding a birth or a death for george wilson

Here's the birth, I can't think how you didn't find it?

Births Jun 1880
WILSON George Worksop 7b 43

If he lived until after 1916 then there are literally hundreds of George Wilsons who have a death reg with a birth date of within two years of 1880.

Merry
15-02-12, 13:06
If you are looking for living descendants, then you would be better off looking at GR or Ancestry trees etc for the people you mention, rather than worrying about tracing the tree forward yourself (or us attempting to do that for you!)

zoenel
15-02-12, 14:21
Unforunatley thesre are no connection for trees for george wilson in genes reunted born in whitwell,was hoping for some help in stucturing george wilsons family from the members in here as this site as been invaluable help on many occasions.I also dont know any other potential names of grandchildren for george who I could contact in gr,or ancestyr,so to find them would be a massive help.please help?.thanks

Margaret in Burton
15-02-12, 14:53
Here's the birth, I can't think how you didn't find it?

Births Jun 1880
WILSON George Worksop 7b 43

If he lived until after 1916 then there are literally hundreds of George Wilsons who have a death reg with a birth date of within two years of 1880.

Unforunatley thesre are no connection for trees for george wilson in genes reunted born in whitwell,was hoping for some help in stucturing george wilsons family from the members in here as this site as been invaluable help on many occasions.I also dont know any other potential names of grandchildren for george who I could contact in gr,or ancestyr,so to find them would be a massive help.please help?.thanks

Zoe, I believe Merry has helped you. She found his birth. It is a very common name, extremely common. As Merry says there are hundreds of George Wilsons to choose from. Needle in a haystack job. It is much much harder to come forwards on a tree than go backwards. You could end up buying his birth cert, to get his parents names. Then you'd need a marriage (if he even married) He may have died overseas, he could have died in World War One. he could have emigrated.

zoenel
15-02-12, 15:40
Many thanks everyone,your right it is hard to find someone with such a comman name .best of luck to everyone with there resarch.

kiterunner
15-02-12, 16:01
Then you'd need a marriage (if he even married) He may have died overseas, he could have died in World War One. he could have emigrated.

Zoe already said he married Elizabeth Merrick in 1901, Marg.

So Zoe, the usual way to find descendants for a couple who you have found on the 1911 census is: all the children they have with them on the 1911 census and then search on FreeBMD for births with the husband's surname as their surname and the wife's surname as mother's maiden name, i.e. you go onto FreeBMD and do a search for births with Wilson as the surname and Merrick as Spouse/Mother Surname.

Unfortunately FreeBMD says that search takes too long, but if you repeat it with the date range restricted to 1911 to 1940 it works (or at least it did for me). It comes back with one birth in Worksop and three in Hereford.

Of course this search can come back with children of other couples with the same surnames, so you would need to order birth certificates or find some other way to prove they belong to the right family. There is a Wilson / Merrick marriage in Hereford in 1919 so most likely those Hereford births are nothing to do with your family but the Worksop one may well be your family.

We don't usually post up the results of those searches on here unless we are sure that the people whose births we have found are no longer living but with a surname like Wilson that would be very difficult to prove.

The Worksop birth is during WW1 so if you order a copy of the birth certificate, it may include details of George's army rank and regiment - if he served early on in WW1.

kiterunner
15-02-12, 16:10
As for John Willie Wilson, there is a possible death registration in Nelson, Lancashire, in Jul-Sep 1972, vol 10e, page 1117, date of birth 6 Jan 1903, but there is a John Willie Wilson born in Burnley, Lancashire, in Jan-Mar 1903 as well as your John Willie, so I suspect that is his death rather than the one you're looking for. If his death was indexed with just a middle initial instead of full middle name, there are too many possible John W Wilson deaths listed.

kiterunner
15-02-12, 16:17
Oh dear, Googling around for any further information, I came across your thread from Rootschat about the same question:

Rootschat thread (http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=b1pbu9h6mf75i62c00n449ip35&topic=581592.new)

and I see that you don't seem to have the marriage certificate for George Wilson's marriage to Elizabeth Merrick (yet), so you can't be sure it's the right marriage.

kiterunner
15-02-12, 16:24
Also it seems that all the above has already been done by people on Genes Reunited when you posted the same query on there the other day, so you could have saved us all a lot of time and effort if you had given us a link to that thread, Zoe:

Genes Reunited thread (http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/living_relatives/thread/1292328)

Merry
15-02-12, 16:27

Interestingly, I found 98 matches when I looked.

EDIT that's wrong! I was only searching the surname!

The thing is, if you trace the tree forward (very expensive) how will you trace the living people to contact them?