PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here from Tenterfield? :-)

Mary from Italy
14-02-12, 21:07
I'm doing my BiL's tree as well as my own, and I've just been having another go at finding his 2xG-grandmother's brother, who disappears after the 1851 census.

Well, guess where he ended up as Mayor of? :)

I think I must have the right person, because his surname's fairly unusual, the age and county of birth are correct on the passenger list, and his parents' (very common) names are right on the entry in the death index.

The only thing I'm doubtful about is that he must have come from a very poor family (one sister and her illegitimate child ended up in the workhouse, another died in childbirth after 3 of her children had died in infancy, etc.), so I wouldn't have expected him to be very well educated. Still, I don't suppose that would prevent him from getting on in business at that time.

If my BiL wants to pursue it, I shall have to get one of his marriage certs to confirm his exact birthplace and parents' full names.

HarrysMum
14-02-12, 21:08
Maybe.........................

HarrysMum
14-02-12, 21:10
Mary........I could say being uneducated is a prerequisite for being mayor here.....lol

Mary from Italy
14-02-12, 21:12
Tsk :)

HarrysMum
14-02-12, 21:15
OK....who is it??????

I could be doing the housework here......(no...I couldn't actually...lol)

Mary from Italy
14-02-12, 21:19
Thomas Peberdy. You may know his house?

HarrysMum
14-02-12, 21:26
Yep...sure do. It's got the narrowest, steepest stairs....which always amuses me cos the chiropractor is up the top floor.....lol

Do you need any info....There will be stacks in the newspaper.......I can take a peek at the library.

Mary from Italy
14-02-12, 21:52
I'm going through Trove at the moment, but I guess it's best not to spend too much time on it until I'm sure I have the right person. Is there likely to be anything in your library that I won't find in Trove?

He seems to have moved down to Sydney with his second wife at some stage, and died there, so I won't need to ask you to go trekking through the cemetery :)

HarrysMum
14-02-12, 21:56
Our local library has digitised our paper The Tenterfield Star. That will have a lot more local news than anything on Trove.

Mary from Italy
14-02-12, 22:00
Ah, that should be interesting. Don't worry for the moment, though; I've e-mailed the details I have so far to my BiL, so I'll wait to see how he wants to proceed.

I hope you've complained to the chiropractor about the stairs :)

tenterfieldjulie
15-02-12, 05:59
Lib you shouldn't have to trawl through Trove or Alchemy. There should be a file about him in TFHG. Also he was linked to the Reid's so there should also be printed info/FH.
There is also a creek named after him Mary if you are interested!!

Mary from Italy
15-02-12, 11:57
That sounds interesting, Julie, thanks. I'll let you know if my BiL decides he'd like any more information, but I'll get one of the marriage certs first to prove his identity before contacting the TFHG.

HarrysMum
15-02-12, 20:19
If he wants the TFHG to have a look, let Julie or me know as we will do it. It could take a while otherwise.

tenterfieldjulie
15-02-12, 20:29
Mary if you BIL is interested, a distant cousin (through the Smith line) and family friend, is part of the Peberdy line. He has printed diaries that Oliver Woodward of "Beneath Hill 60" fame wrote. Oliver was a keen family historian and I am sure that in one of the diaries, he has written some history of the Peberdy's. I am sure my friend will allow me access if indeed your bil is connected.

Mary from Italy
15-02-12, 21:25
Brilliant, I'll let you know when I have some definite information.

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 17:04
Can I ask for some advice?

I've suggested to my BiL that we should get one of Thomas's marriage certs, to see what he gives as his age, birthplace and parents' names.

I was thinking of getting the first cert, as the information would be freshest in his mind.

The first marriage was in 1858, and the second in 1871.

Is the 1858 cert likely to be one of those annoying ones without the parents' names? I'm just wondering if it might be better to get the second one, or do you think they'll both have pretty much the same amount of information?

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 21:07
Mary......in theory they should have much the same info, but............

I can have a look on my disk. Is it Thomas Peberdy?

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 21:15
Four Thomas Peberdy marriages
1849 to Mary Watson at St John's Parramatta (hate that place...can't find any of mine there..lol)
1858 to Mary Smith (you might be related to Julie...lol)
1871 to Margaret Reid
1888 to Alice M Dawson.

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 21:22
Mary....there are two deaths for Thomas Peberdy

1920 at Randwick...parents William and Mary
1932 at Ashfield parenst Thomas and Mary A.

So Thomas H Peberdy is the son of Thomas Peberdy and Mary A Smith.
Thomas H Peberdy married Alice Dawson.

Doesn't give you the info you want though.

tenterfieldjulie
17-02-12, 21:27
In Tenterfield - He was first married to a Mary who died in 1865 in Tenterfield it appears in childbirth. The marriage in 1871 to Margaret Reid is a Tenterfield one. He may have died in Qld as the Reid's had mining interests in NQ.

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 22:09
So we still have those 1849 and 1858 ones...both to Mary.

Julie...you don't think that 1920 death is his? and the 1932 one is his son?

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 22:12
Mary Smith dies 1865 with her son/daughter, Joh. So that's the Mary A.

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 22:14
Sorry, I should have said that I already have the details from the BDM indexes. It looks as though he married first Mary Ann Smith (they had children in Grafton and Tenterfield, then she died) and then Margaret Reid. It was his son who married Alice Dawson. I don't know who the one is who married Mary Watson, but it wasn't our Thomas, who didn't emigrate till 1855.

The death at Randwick in 1920 is Thomas the former Mayor of Tenterfield, and the death in Ashfield is his son Thomas H.

What I need now is to get his parents' names, age and birthplace from a cert, so I can be sure I'm following the right Thomas.

The death index gives his parents as William and Mary, which is correct, but of course they're common names.

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 22:15
James Reid Peberdy, son of Thomas and Margaret died Sydney 1941.

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 22:16
OK...Mary.....so you want the Mayor's parents???

tenterfieldjulie
17-02-12, 22:17
Thomas Peberdy and wife moved to Sydney about 1906 and lived at Mosman. When Mort Kelly had his 82nd birthday in June 1914 he said he was 4 days older than Thomas Peberdy. Margaret Peberdy (Mrs Thomas Sen died Feb 1916). Thomas was visiting her sister & bil the Woodwards in Tenterfield in March 1917. Yes I'd say with out digging too deep that the 1920 in Sydney is probably him. I'm surprised that Alchemy doesn't bring an obit up but the online one I think is more limited than the one at the Library.
Yes we cross posted. I will give P a ring and see who Thomas parents are, although I'd say P is probably out on the golf course by now.. I'd say born June 1832 England lol

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 22:19
I really need his mother's maiden name, because the Christian names (William and Mary) in the 1920 death entry are correct.

There are several trees on Ancestry which include Thomas, but unless I'm very much mistaken, one person has gone entirely wrong, and all the others have copied. They have Thomas born in Leicestershire (correct) but his parents marrying earlier in NSW, then returning to NSW and dying there, and a sister Emma dying there too.

Thomas did have various sibings, including a sister Emma, but she and her parents died in Leicestershire (they're quite easy to follow on the censuses, and I have their burials). So I'm not relying on any of the Ancestry trees :)

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 22:20
JUlie.......do you have Thomas' parents? It has William and Mary online.

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 22:22
Mary.....there's that 'other' Thomas marrying 1849. He's the one who's put the spanner in the works.

He didn't come out, marry and go home....then come again did he?

tenterfieldjulie
17-02-12, 22:23
Not sure where my Reid info is.. buried somewhere .. will do some digging ..

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 22:23
Thomas Peberdy and wife moved to Sydney about 1906 and lived at Mosman. When Mort Kelly had his 82nd birthday in June 1914 he said he was 4 days older than Thomas Peberdy.

That's interesting - where did you find that? I don't know Thomas's date of birth, but if I have the right baptism, he was baptised on 10th July 1832, so the dates are very close.

I'm surprised that Alchemy doesn't bring an obit up but the online one I think is more limited than the one at the Library.

Excuse my ignorance, but what's Alchemy?

I will give P a ring and see who Thomas parents are, although I'd say P is probably out on the golf course by now..

That's very kind of you. No rush at all, though :)

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 22:24
I'm going to go in a minute, but I'll be back. Visitors coming soon.

Hope they don't open spare room cupboard...lol. They'll die under the junk that falls out. Was sitting here in PJs , no bed made, no dishes done when they rang......Exhausted now trying to fit all that stuff in the cupboard...lol

(not the dishes or bed)

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 22:25
Mary....Alchemy is a site that has the Tenterfield Star. Julie can access it....I can't

Need to sort that one day!

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 22:25
By the way, I believe the correct parents are William Peberdy/Pebody and Mary Hewitt. The trees on Ancestry have the mother as Mary Ferry.

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 22:26
Mary....Alchemy is a site that has the Tenterfield Star. Julie can access it....I can't

Need to sort that one day!

Oh, that's interesting. I should love to access that if it's possible, because my Inmans were also associated with Tenterfield, as you know.

Have fun with the tidying up - your house sounds a lot like mine :)

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 22:27
Julie.........would the Archives Kit have the parents of that first Thomas Peberdy marriage...the 1849 one. That's got me interested...lol

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 22:31
Mary...if you look on the Qld BDMs, there's a death in 1904 for a William Kendall Peberdy, son of William Peberdy and Mary Kerrie.

That might be the Mary 'Ferry'

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 22:34
I've done this tree before without the Peberdys...

There's Peberdys who are children of Sarah Toon and Mary Ellen Shefflebotham.

Now tell me there are two Sarah Toons or Mary Ellen Shefflebothams.....lol

(wracking brain now)

tenterfieldjulie
17-02-12, 22:37
Mary and Lib, Tried P but not answering phone. He is a computer teacher and very interested in genealogy and has inherited Oliver Woodward's printed diaries that were originally given to Kidman. He will know for sure.
I have a link to Alchemy online, but it is not as user friendly as the one at the library. The one at the library you can use a little box an isolate an article. I haven't been able to do that. I will give you the link. Whether it works I'm not sure. A journo gave it to me and I saved it directly to my favourites. Others haven't been able to use it.. If you can't, I'll check at the library why. I will return ..
http://alchemy.tenterfield.nsw.gov.au/alchemy/AlchemyWeb.aspx

I see it won't open without authentication .. I'll have to see them next week and have a chat. Sorry.

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 22:37
Mary.....there's that 'other' Thomas marrying 1849. He's the one who's put the spanner in the works.

He didn't come out, marry and go home....then come again did he?

Sorry, we crossposted there.

As I said in another post, our Thomas emigrated in 1855. I don't think he'd been to Aus before, because I've found him on the 1851 census in Leicester, with the right birthplace, and he's unmarried.

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 22:41
Mary...if you look on the Qld BDMs, there's a death in 1904 for a William Kendall Peberdy, son of William Peberdy and Mary Kerrie.

That might be the Mary 'Ferry'

No, there's a marriage in Dapto NSW in 1836 for William Peberdy and Mary Ferry.
The Qld and NSW Peberdy's may well all be connected, though. Certainly some of Thomas the Mayor's children moved to Qld.

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 22:43
Mary and Lib, Tried P but not answering phone. He is a computer teacher and very interested in genealogy and has inherited Oliver Woodward's printed diaries that were originally given to Kidman. He will know for sure.

Thanks, Julie, as I said there's no rush at all.

I have a link to Alchemy online, but it is not as user friendly as the one at the library. The one at the library you can use a little box an isolate an article. I haven't been able to do that. I will give you the link. Whether it works I'm not sure. A journo gave it to me and I saved it directly to my favourites. Others haven't been able to use it.. If you can't, I'll check at the library why. I will return ..
http://alchemy.tenterfield.nsw.gov.au/alchemy/AlchemyWeb.aspx

I see it won't open without authentication .. I'll have to see them next week and have a chat. Sorry.

Don't worry :)

HarrysMum
17-02-12, 22:44
No, there's a marriage in Dapto NSW in 1836 for William Peberdy and Mary Ferry.
The Qld and NSW Peberdy's may well all be connected, though. Certainly some of Thomas the Mayor's children moved to Qld.

Maybe it's the Qld record that's wrong and it's supposed to be Ferry.

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 23:03
Maybe it's the Qld record that's wrong and it's supposed to be Ferry.

Oh yes, sorry - I read your previous message as a marriage whereas it's a death. And the NSW couple did have a son William born in 1848.

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 23:07
Just found a convict, Thomas Peberdy, who was tried in Leicester and transported in 1829. I bet that's the one who married in 1849. And I bet he's related to our people somehow.

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 23:15
That Thomas was aged 44 and sent to Kirkham.

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 23:26
If that age is correct, he might be the brother of Thomas the Mayor's father William. I'm not certain about William's birth, but there are two baptisms that might connect them (same place, same father but different mothers).

Thomas the convict got his certificate of freedom in Tas in 1845, according to Ancestry.

Mary from Italy
17-02-12, 23:30
Found his NSW convict indent now. It doesn't give his parents' names, but his occupation is the same as Thomas the Mayor's before he emigrated (framework knitter, a very common occupation in Leicestershire). It says he has a wife and 3 children, presumably in England. Can't find him at all in Tas records.

tenterfieldjulie
18-02-12, 03:41
Mary, I've emailed P, so hopefully even if he is away, he should reply in the next day or so. Julie

Mary from Italy
18-02-12, 12:48
Great, thanks very much.

Mary from Italy
07-06-13, 14:03
Julie, I've finally got the marriage and death certs that confirm Thomas Peberdy the Mayor is my BiL's ancestor, so if P has any more information, I should be very interested.

tenterfieldjulie
07-06-13, 14:33
Great Mary I will catch up him in the next few days. Julie