PDA

View Full Version : William George Lonergan

boreenatra
12-02-12, 20:59
Does anyone have any info re William George Lonergan, married to Florence Nellie Fenton and one of their daughters Forence Nellie who married into the Seager family

Regards Steve

HarrysMum
12-02-12, 21:05
Do you have a date or place?

boreenatra
12-02-12, 21:10
He died in Bromley By Bow Sick Asylum 13th September 1919.................I think Zoe (samesizedfeet) may have some information about him

Kind regards Steve

HarrysMum
12-02-12, 22:14
Florence married William Sep Q 1907 in West Ham.

Do you have that cert?

It should have names of both fathers.

boreenatra
12-02-12, 23:46
Libby

Thanks for that.............It really is the death certificate of William that I am looking for as he died of malaria but I need to confirm that his malaria was contracted whilst on war service. If it can be shown that this was the case then we can put him forward for war grave recognition. I am prepared to get his DC but I wonder if anyone has that information to hand. As you may be aware, only proof by a death certificate can be used to get him recognised as a war casualty, and as there are no war service records or an MIC for him, it is 50/50 that we can get him recognised.

I found his probate entry which states he was a private in the army, but nothing else to back it up.

Any help would be really appreciated

Kind regards Steve

samesizedfeet
13-02-12, 00:32
Hi Steve,

Florence was my great grandmother's eldest sister. She was born 1887 in ST Pancras.

It's not a branch I've gone sideways into and looked at so I don't really have any more information other than the year of marriage as Libby said above.

boreenatra
13-02-12, 00:56
Zoe

Thanks for your reply............I did leave a message for you but it really amounts to the same thing as I posted before. I do have a pic of William / Florence and Florence Seager's headstone in Manor Park Cemetery (which is how I came across William) if you want it. I know it is a bit of a long shot but anyone in your family likely to know anything about William.

I think he should have war grave status and if headstones could be used for proof, his would be ideal

Kind regards Steve

HarrysMum
13-02-12, 03:14
Steve........I'm getting something (not unusual....)

Are you saying you know the date and place of his death but can't find the reg to get a cert?

It's registered Sep 1919 Poplar. William G Lonergan Vol 1c Page 376.

Merry
13-02-12, 07:31
I think Steve was just hoping Zoe had the cert already!

HarrysMum
13-02-12, 08:28
I think Steve was just hoping Zoe had the cert already!

She doesn't. This addiction can get expensive......

boreenatra
13-02-12, 09:34
Thanks all for your replies

Merry..........you are right. I was hoping that Zoe would have some info (and the DC !!!) but it was always a long shot, however the DC has been ordered.

It is not so much the money, although they are expensive. If William died because of war service then he should be recognised as such. There are criteria used which are so outdated and "exclusive" (in the sense that they are designed to exclude rather than include) and when so many have slipped through the net, finding proof nearly 100 years on is difficult and many times will begin with a relative getting in contact who does know something and then the process goes from there. One ray of light is that after a conversation with CWGC last week,it has been mooted that some of these criteria may be relaxed, It is all part of an effort by CWGC to "update their image" (their words not mine) What with a new website and search engine they say they are trying to reach more young people to spark an interest, especially with the centenary of the Great War just around the corner.

What is sad is that they are using a dumbing down process to do this. For example their database that is on view to the public used to be called the Debt of Honour.............now it is just called the Registry. When I asked them about this they said it was because young people did not know what Debt of Honour meant and that people were unsure what a casualty was. Again these are their words and I was shocked that this is really what they thought.

Be that as it may, I will let you know when we get the DC information

Kind regards Steve

HarrysMum
13-02-12, 09:45
Good on you Steve.

Let us know how you get on.

samesizedfeet
13-02-12, 13:41
Steve,

I don't have any contact with that side of the family being estranged from my father since I was a toddler. The only info I have is what I've acquired via research. I would be interested to see a photo of Florence if you don't mind. We have a very particular look in my family and I love pinpointing the lines that have it and trying to track it. I've failed yet to figure out if it's genetic or the men just seem to pick partners that look like their mums :)

boreenatra
13-02-12, 16:59
Zoe

Sorry,but the pic I have is of their collective headstone at Manor Park Cemetery. Family pics do surface from time to time whilst searching for information, but as any researcher will say that the bit of information you want is seldom the one that you get but in most of the cases we have looked at it is the lack of recorded information that holds us back.

I was interested that the 1911 census for him shows him to be a "Druggist" and the probate record gave us where he died and how much he left Florence. Again if these things are of any interest than PM me with an email address and I will gladly send them to you.

Also if anyone needs a look up, I do have some research bits which have shown to be of help in the past

Kind regards Steve

boreenatra
17-04-12, 17:20
Just to say that the death certificate for WGL has arrived and he died of malaria, amongst other things, contracted on active service in Egypt but as no service records exist now, the authorities will not do anything without some sort of evidence.

I don't know what to say other than it is an obvious case and can't see what the problem is

If you want a copy of the DC drop me a PM with an email address and I will send it to you

Regards Steve