PDA

View Full Version : Wood Lane or Yoxall?

JohnS
12-02-12, 13:37
I am in contact with various people in America regarding some of my great (2) grandfather's brothers who emigrated and settled there.

One of the brothers Charles Sharratt was born 25 Mar 1812. I have his birthplace as Yoxall, Staffordshire, (from 1851 and 1861 census) and know that he was baptised in Yoxall from parish records.

They (in America) have his birth place as Wood Lane, Staffordshire, but cannot cite me a source. Without a birth certificate how could I say with certainty where he was born?

:confused:

Margaret in Burton
12-02-12, 13:42
I am in contact with various people in America regarding some of my great (2) grandfather's brothers who emigrated and settled there.

One of the brothers Charles Sharratt was born 25 Mar 1812. I have his birthplace as Yoxall, Staffordshire, (from 1851 and 1861 census) and know that he was baptised in Yoxall from parish records.

They (in America) have his birth place as Wood Lane, Staffordshire, but cannot cite me a source. Without a birth certificate how could I say with certainty where he was born?

:confused:

Wood Lane is in Yoxall John. It's the main road through the village.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wood+lane+yoxall&hl=en&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=17.570731,53.569336&hnear=Wood+Ln,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=16

JohnS
12-02-12, 14:02
[QUOTE=Margaret in Burton]Wood Lane is in Yoxall John. It's the main road through the village.

Hello Marg

Would it have had that road name in 1812 though?
Some of them also refer to Wood Mill as his birthplace (I have seen this on early censuses for other members of the family).

Birth certificates weren't in existence in 1812, were they?

kiterunner
12-02-12, 14:32
If you look at the parish register entry for his baptism, it might have the place of residence, although not all did before 1813.

Merry
12-02-12, 14:34
Would it have had that road name in 1812 though?
Some of them also refer to Wood Mill as his birthplace (I have seen this on early censuses for other members of the family).

Birth certificates weren't in existence in 1812, were they?

No birth certs before 1837 for England/Wales.

I think the address/road name must hae existed as the Staffs record office holds some documents entitled:

Messuage and land at Wood End or Wood Lane, Yoxall, within the manor of Barton-under-Needwood.

The most recent document in this series is dated 1715.

JohnS
12-02-12, 14:43
If you look at the parish register entry for his baptism, it might have the place of residence, although not all did before 1813.

I got this source from Marg who, many years ago, went round looking at all the parish registers for this family. Unfortunately it was at a time when all you could do was sit and look at them and make notes, so I do not have a physical copy of the baptism record and trust the info Marg cites (I know what you're going to say next!).
Until such time as FMP updates their parish records to include this area I have no alternative.

kiterunner
12-02-12, 15:14
I got this source from Marg who, many years ago, went round looking at all the parish registers for this family. Unfortunately it was at a time when all you could do was sit and look at them and make notes, so I do not have a physical copy of the baptism record and trust the info Marg cites (I know what you're going to say next!).
Until such time as FMP updates their parish records to include this area I have no alternative.

Well, you could order a copy from Staffordshire Record Office or ask someone to go and look at it for you, though as I said, since it is before 1813 it might not state the family's residence. But according to various public trees on ancestry, he had siblings born after 1813, so you could get a copy of the baptism entry for the one born 1814 to see what the address was on that. Of course they could have moved house in the meantime, though.

Margaret in Burton
12-02-12, 15:27
Woodmill, Yoxall

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=woodmill+yoxall&hl=en&sll=52.780102,-1.793164&sspn=0.00219,0.006539&hnear=Woodmill,+Staffordshire,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=15

12 minute walk away from Wood Lane

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Wood+Lane,+Yoxall,+East+Staffordshire+D istrict&daddr=woodmill+yoxall&hl=en&sll=52.786328,-1.797799&sspn=0.017519,0.052314&geocode=FZlnJQMdwKrk_ymvph9p-gV6SDHiK7RQkHwKgw%3BFZh0JQMdWZHk_ymB6Y6O9wV6SDG_sS Up8KjOjg&oq=wood+lane&mra=ls&t=m&z=17

Yoxall is only a few miles from where I live.

Margaret in Burton
12-02-12, 15:31
Well, you could order a copy from Staffordshire Record Office or ask someone to go and look at it for you, though as I said, since it is before 1813 it might not state the family's residence. But according to various public trees on ancestry, he had siblings born after 1813, so you could get a copy of the baptism entry for the one born 1814 to see what the address was on that. Of course they could have moved house in the meantime, though.

I doubt it would say any more than Wood Lane or Woodmill. I do remember viewing these records and the abode is just like that.

kiterunner
12-02-12, 15:42
Sorry, Marg, I thought John just wanted to find out whether it said Wood Lane or not, to confirm what his contacts have.

JohnS
12-02-12, 15:53
Sorry, Marg, I thought John just wanted to find out whether it said Wood Lane or not, to confirm what his contacts have.

Yes, that's exactly what I am trying to find out. Did it say Yoxall, or was it more specific and said Wood Lane (or Wood Mill)?

Margaret in Burton
12-02-12, 16:58
Yes, that's exactly what I am trying to find out. Did it say Yoxall, or was it more specific and said Wood Lane (or Wood Mill)?

The point being John, is that Wood Lane and Woodmill are in Yoxall. They were St Peter's Yoxall parish registers. It would only say a the name of the village if it wasn't Yoxall i.e. Abbots Bromley.

Plus the PR only records the place where the family lived, not where the child was born. The child could have been born at a grandparents house for example.

Even post 1837 I have had certs where the birth place is just given as the name of the village. My grandmother was born in Balderton, Nottinghamshire in 1897 and that's all it says on her birth cert. No street even.

kiterunner
12-02-12, 17:17
Oh well, sorry I gave wrong advice then. I can't think of any other way to find out if he was born in Wood Lane at the moment.

Margaret in Burton
12-02-12, 19:45
Oh well, sorry I gave wrong advice then. I can't think of any other way to find out if he was born in Wood Lane at the moment.

Kate you didn't give the wrong advise. I think John is trying to find out the impossible for 1812. Wood Lane / Woodmill / Yoxall all the same place within a 2 mile radius. I know the place well.

Olde Crone
12-02-12, 20:13
John

Perhaps turn this on its head and ask your contact how they know he was born in Wood Lane - maybe from a family bible?

It isn't exactly the sort of thing you would just make up - you would have to have some knowledge of the place to come up with something so specific.

OC

Margaret in Burton
12-02-12, 20:18
I've emailed Burton Library to ask if they have the PR's on film or fiche. They may be at Uttoxeter not Burton. If they are at Burton I will go and look at them and check the PR.

JohnS
13-02-12, 21:14
Can't thank you all enough for your help/advice - especially you Marg.

Margaret in Burton
14-02-12, 06:46
No reply from Burton Library yet.

Margaret in Burton
14-02-12, 17:39
Had a reply from Burton Library. They do have St Peters Yoxall for 1812 so I will go and take a look as soon as I can, possibly be next week though.

Merry
14-02-12, 18:40
Don't get wallpaper paste on the film reader, Marg!! :D

Margaret in Burton
14-02-12, 18:46
Don't get wallpaper paste on the film reader, Marg!! :D

or paint :D:D:D

JohnS
14-02-12, 19:17
Had a reply from Burton Library. They do have St Peters Yoxall for 1812 so I will go and take a look as soon as I can, possibly be next week though.

Thanks Marg. You're an angel (despite what they all say!). :D :d

Merry
14-02-12, 19:31
(despite what they all say!)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::d

Margaret in Burton
14-02-12, 19:55
Thanks Marg. You're an angel (despite what they all say!). :D :d

cheeky s*d

:D:D:D:D:D:D

maggie_4_7
16-02-12, 13:38
:D :D :D

Marg is firm but fair and very nice too.

WYSIWYG