PDA

View Full Version : Have I got the right Percy Chambers?

WendyPusey
12-02-12, 10:32
Can someone please see if I have the correct Percy Chambers.

Is it just a mistake that he has put his father's name as Charles and not Alfred?

--------------------------------------------

Marriage between Percy Harry Chambers & Edith Lucy Colenutt - 30th March 1912, Ryde, Isle of Wight.

Taken from Ancestry:

Name: Percy Harry Chambers
Birth Date: abt 1889
Father's Name: Charles Chambers
Spouse's Name: Edith Lucy Colenutt
Spouse's Age: 31
Spouse's Father's Name: Charles Colenutt
Marriage Date: 30 Mar 1912
Marriage Place: Ryde, Hampshire, England

I do not have the certificate.

------------------------------------------------

Edith Lucy Colenutt is the daughter of my GG Grandmother's sister, Lucy and Charles Colenutt. She was born 1880 in Ventnor, Isle of Wight.

Percy Harry Chambers is the son of my Grandparents, Alfred & Eugenie Kate Chambers. He was born 1891 in Newport, Isle of Wight.

1911 census Percy has the surname Reynolds and are living in South Lambeth, London with mother Kate and step-father James Reynolds.

If this Percy Chambers is the correct one then he is Edith's 1st cousin.

----------------------------------------------

Percy was killed in WWI

CHAMBERS
Initials: P H
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: East Surrey Regiment
Unit Text: 12th Bn.
Secondary Unit Text: transf. to (67007) 739th Area Employment Coy.
Date of Death: 14/02/1919
Service No: C/39272
Additional information: Husband of Edith Lucy Chambers, of 28, Elcot Avenue, Peckham, London.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: XIII. D. 9.
Cemetery: TERLINCTHUN BRITISH CEMETERY, WIMILLE

--------------------------------------------------------

I have found another Percy Chambers with father Charles but he was also killed in WWI and it says he was married to someone else. So it's not him.

Hope you can understand this.

kiterunner
12-02-12, 10:35
Is it just a mistake that he has put his father's name as Charles and not Alfred?

If you don't have the certificate then it could just be a transcription error on ancestry, couldn't it?

WendyPusey
12-02-12, 10:36
Yes that's what I'm hoping. Can't afford to get the certificate yet though.

Asa
12-02-12, 10:45
If you put Percy Harry Chambers in Ancestry's search engine, there is only the one birth, the marriage and an electoral roll entry for Camberwell in 1918. Other than that, there's just one birth for a Harry Percy Chambers 1891 Dover

kiterunner
12-02-12, 10:50
Is there any chance you can get a look at the marriage in the PR's at the Isle of Wight Record Office or have someone look at it for you there, Wendy?

WendyPusey
12-02-12, 11:04
Yes I can go and look at the records. Not sure if I can look at the actual register though, as everything has been transcribed onto a card index. Just have to find time to get there!

kiterunner
12-02-12, 11:07
Yes - the card index is just an index and you can still view the registers, or at least you could when I went there a few years ago. I can't remember if it was on a microfilm or microfiche but I know you could print it out.

WendyPusey
12-02-12, 13:53
So can anyone find another Percy Chambers who would fit?