PDA

View Full Version : Browne and Morris - Lincolnshire late 1600s

ElizabethHerts
11-02-12, 10:31
I don't expect anyone to be able to answer this, but I'm trying to find a connection in OH's tree for his Morris/Browne ancestors.

This is the furthest I can go back:

Edward Morris
married
Ellinor Browne
26th October 1691
St Mary Le Wigford Lincoln
(page 5 on the register at Lincs to the Past)
slight possibility it says 1693

Edward Morris & Elinor Browne married with licence October 26

All the children of Edward and Elinor were baptised at Branston in Lincolnshire.

I know that Elinor Browne had a brother called John:

The following is an extract from the will of her son Edward Morris:
"I also Give my Said Son Stephen Morris the Silver Tankard that was my Unkle John Brown’s"

OH is descended from Letitia Morris, who married William Dawson.

Online there are a few trees with a John Browne marrying a Hannah Dawson (probably not connected to OH's Dawsons, but who knows?).
I am wondering if this is the brother of Elinor Morris, née Browne, and the original owner of the silver tankard.

They had a daughter called Letitia Browne who was born c. 1680, perhaps at Potterhanworth. I've looked on Lincstothepast for the baptism, but the registers don't go that far back, unfortunately.

Letitia Browne married John Toynbee, apparently, though again I can't find the marriage in the registers yet.

Elinor Morris (daugther of Edward and Elinor Morris) married a "Thomas Toynbie" at Branston on 17th May 1723. I haven't found any children or burials for them. They might have moved to a different part of Lincolnshire or another county.

I'm rambling to myself here, but perhaps someone who might know the answers to my questions might read this!

ElizabethHerts
11-02-12, 11:59
I have found the marriage of John Brown (without the -e) to Hannah Dawson at St Andrew's, Potterhanworth, on 19th December 1686.

ElizabethHerts
11-02-12, 14:01
They had a daughter called Letitia Browne who was born c. 1680, perhaps at Potterhanworth. I've looked on Lincstothepast for the baptism, but the registers don't go that far back, unfortunately.

Letitia Browne married John Toynbee, apparently, though again I can't find the marriage in the registers yet.

Hmm. Letitia can't have been born as early as 1680.
The marriage date given is 1703. It seems she was quite young when she married.