PDA

View Full Version : Scottish marriage question.

HarrysMum
08-02-12, 18:39
This ia actually for Julie.....she's away today and we only found this last night.

She's trying to find who John Jeffrey married 4th June 1783. Apparently Familysearch has his marriage but no spouse.

I looked on Scotlands People and found the same thing. When i looked at the image, it was a list of names (all were men except for one flowery detailed record about Sir Someone) and had what looked like payments at the side. Most were one shilling, although "Sir" had ten and sixpence...lol

They were listed as 'Consignation'. I read something else that said these were sometimes listed when the marriage took place in England. Not sure what that was about.

Anyhow, I looked at England and found nothing.

Any ideas???

kiterunner
08-02-12, 18:49
(all were men except for one flowery detailed record about Sir Someone)

Are you saying that Sir Someone wasn't a man? :confused:

kiterunner
08-02-12, 18:54
There is some info about consignation in the context of marriages on here:
http://www.electricscotland.com/history/sociallife/chapter3.htm

HarrysMum
08-02-12, 19:00
Are you saying that Sir Someone wasn't a man? :confused:

I meant were men only...no mention of wife...lol

It's early here.

I got the impression that's what the consignation was about, but still no idea where to find the wife.

kiterunner
08-02-12, 19:06
It sounds as though he could have put the money up but not actually gone through with the marriage, doesn't it? Or if he did get married in England, it could have been somewhere whose marriages aren't online yet?

HarrysMum
08-02-12, 19:07
That's what I'm thinking Kite.......thanks.

Actually i might go back to SP and see if I find any of the others on that page.

Uncle John
11-02-12, 16:36
What you get in the OPRs depends on the whim of the minister and session clerk. Quite often the register is just used as a useful place to record the fees.

JBee
11-02-12, 16:51
Perhaps if you look on the scottish death certificate of a child if after 1855- hopefully the names of both the parents will be on it. That's how I found quite a few of mine given the OPR's didn't give much info.

tenterfieldjulie
12-02-12, 02:28
Thanks everyone. I wish Julie that I could find anything about My Elizabeth Jeffrey's parents. I have lots on her shipping records, marriage and death in Australia. The only absolute certainty that I have the right person is the 1841 Census (with an 80 yr John Jaffrey and a 30 year old Helen Jaffrey). 1851 she was working as a servant and no trace of Helen or John. In the shipping in 1855 her parents are deceased. The problem is that I don't know whether the 80 yr old John Jaffrey is her father, grandfather or greatgrandfather!! The marriage at Makerstoun is across the river from Kersmains farm where she was born. The marriage in 1783 is very likely John's but definitely not to Helen/Ellen Thompson... grrrh Things just get more confused .. one day it might all be unravelled ..