PDA

View Full Version : George Naylor's will!

Merry
07-02-12, 10:50
Research for Libby, so nothing to add to my BK6

I'm looking at the transcription of George Naylor's will for Libby to see if I can spot any errors. The will was signed 29 Jul 1805 and proved 31 May 1806. George was of Marsh House, Liversedge, Birstall, Yorkshire.

Here are all the names in the will plus corrections where applicable:

Sister-in-law Joannah Linfitt of West Molton, should read West Melton. West Melton is in the parish of Wathe upon Dearne (which I know has come up before)

Joshua Naylor younger son of late brother Thomas Naylor

Other children of the said Thomas Naylor

Thomas Naylor of Sheffield, grandson of the late Thomas Naylor

Late sister Sarah Pogmore of Sheffield

The children of my said sister Linfitt and my late brother-in-law Benjamin Robinson of Measborough, should read Masborough which is near Rotherham, I think. There are some entries (UPDATE - one entry?) at the independent chapel at Masborough (FS and BMD Registers) which might help. The inference is all or some of these children were under 21 at the time the will was written.

Cousins Ann Priestly of Carlton Sarah Fotherby and Ann Reafitt both of Leeds.

Joseph Horner baker of Wakefield - I'm not convinced about this surname.

William Linfitt woolstapler of Wakefield.

Joseph Horner?? and Wm Linfitt are not getting legacies for themselves - their money is to be invested and the proceeds handed to the Minister Independent Chapel of Clayton. They are also responsible for some of the investments to be made for George's daughter, Elizabeth.

Wife/widow Elizabeth nee Eyre

Daughter Elizabeth (later Ariel!)

The children of brother-in-law Joshua Robinson of Horbury (not Measborough or Masborough!)

Each of the sons of my brother-in-law Benjamin Robinson late of Masborough (not Measborough and shouldn't he be 'late' rather than his address?)

Late brother-in-law William Linfitt

Samuel Thompson woolstapler of Wakefield and George's widow Elizabeth to be guardians of his daughter Elizabeth.

Witnesses Wm Ogden (I think George and Elizabeth's marriage was conducted by an Ogden), Samuel Hutchinson and William Fisher.

tenterfieldjulie
07-02-12, 11:14
Hope you have a good stock of Valium!!

Merry
07-02-12, 12:03
lol Julie!

Here are the difficult names:

Ann Reafitt?

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/merry_monty_montgomery/Other%20Research/Ann.jpg

and two offerings of Joseph Horner:

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m13/merry_monty_montgomery/Other%20Research/Horner.jpg

Merry
07-02-12, 12:45
From an earlier thread:

This is a submitted entry from the IGI:

William LINFITT

Event(s):
Birth: About 1738 Of Melton, , Yorkshire, England
Christening:
Death: 23 FEB 1803
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: Johannah ROBINSON
Marriage: 25 AUG 1761 Wath Upon Dearne, Yorkshire, England

If this is the same William and Johanna, William died before George Naylor wrote his will. Maybe the William mentioned in the will was William and Johanna's son?

The marriage has been transcribed:

http://www.archive.org/stream/registersofwathu00wath#page/256/mode/2up/search/1761

Unfortunately it doesn't give her marital status (I wondered if she was the widow of a Naylor) or the parties' abodes. The licence might have more information if you can get hold of it.

Merry
07-02-12, 12:53
Now we know that Joannah Linfitt was of West Melton in Wathe, so it seems extremely likely that marriage Mary found is the right person and she was the widow of Benjamin Robinson when she re-married.

I tried to find any Benjamin Robinsons connected with Masborough and the only entry I discovered was this one:

Name: Benjamin Robinson
Baptism/Christening Date: 26 Dec 1774
Baptism/Christening Place: INDEPENDENT,MASBROUGH,YORK,ENGLAND
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Benjn. Robinson
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Sarah
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C08793-1
System Origin: England-ODM
Source Film Number: 828144

But as this entry is after Joanna married Wm Linfitt, I can only think they might be her son and grandson??

Mary from Italy
07-02-12, 13:00
Here are the difficult names:

The first one does look like Ann Reafitt, or maybe Roafitt. Do you have another capital R to compare it with?

The other two definitely look like Joseph Horner.

Merry
07-02-12, 13:06
The first one does look like Ann Reafitt, or maybe Roafitt. Do you have another capital R to compare it with?

Yes, it's an R. Lots of Robinson's to compare with.

Merry
07-02-12, 13:10
I've just remembered that previously we did wonder if, when George mentions his late brother-in-law Benjamin Robinson, he meant relatives of a previous wife? He was some 17 years older than Elizabeth Eyre and she was in her 30s when they married.

I know I saw a suitable marriage, but the bride couldn't sign and that put me off.

kiterunner
07-02-12, 13:16
The second Joseph Horner looks as though it actually says Hormer, if that's any help?

Merry
07-02-12, 13:17
I see Uncle John told us ages ago that Measborough should be Masborough!

Mary from Italy
07-02-12, 13:17
Yes, I thought I remembered that :)

Merry
07-02-12, 13:18
The second Joseph Horner looks as though it actually says Hormer, if that's any help?

Yes, there are some rather enthusiastic squiggles! Luckily maybe he is not so important to find as he doesn't seem to be a relative.

Merry
07-02-12, 13:26
Here's the marriage I saw before:

28 Jan 1762
At Penistone
George Naylor of the parish of High Hoyland
Elizabeth Robinson of Penistone
Married by banns.
He signed, she didn't.
Serial witness Matthew Hardy and the other witness Thomas Naylor (brother? lol)

So, if this was THE George Naylor then his bride's sister would be Joannah Robinson who married (for the first time) to Wm Linfitt?

Of course we would need to have George and Elizabeth having no surviving children, but that could be one of the reasons he remarried?

And it would also mean that:

The children of my said sister Linfitt and my late brother-in-law Benjamin Robinson

should read "The children of my said sister Linfitt and the children of my late brother-in-law Benjamin Robinson" ie children of each person, not together!

Merry
07-02-12, 13:30
Possibly brother sisters? It's a long shot!!! (there are a lot of entries for children of John Robinson and for the children of Joseph Robinson, but only the children of John have all three names)

Name: Joanna Robinson
Birth Date: abt 1735
Baptism Date: 20 Apr 1735
Parish: Penistone, St John The Baptist
Father's Name: John Robinson

Name: Elizth Robinson
Birth Date: abt 1740
Baptism Date: 14 Sep 1740

Name: Benjn Robinson
Birth Date: abt 1748
Baptism Date: Mar 1748

Hmmm.....but I need a Joshua as well and I don't have one! lol

Mary from Italy
07-02-12, 13:59
I've just come across a George Naylor (1704-1728, so not the above one), born at Clayton, High Hoyland. I wonder if there was a Independent Chapel there?

Mary from Italy
07-02-12, 14:01
I wonder if this is the Clayton Independent Chapel referred to in George Naylor's will?

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/PhotoFrames/WRY/ClaytonWestURC_BH.html

Mary from Italy
07-02-12, 14:09
Libby, have you checked these Noncon records?

Register of Births and Baptisms at Clayton Independent Chapel in High Hoyland, Yorkshire from 1797 to 1837

They're on BMDRegisters, so you probably have access to them through the Genealogist. Pity they don't start a bit earlier, though.

HarrysMum
07-02-12, 18:09
Doing it now.

HarrysMum
07-02-12, 18:22
Nothing on the non-cons for those people.
I do remember looking madly for that chapel at Clayton last time this will came up.

Mary from Italy
07-02-12, 22:07
No idea if it's relevant, but according to the death duty index Elizabeth Eyre of Ickles, Rotherham left a will, probated in York 1841. Her executor was Francis Parker of Masbrough.

Mary from Italy
07-02-12, 22:28
It looks as though that Elizabeth was buried in Rotherham in 1840 aged 76, ie. born about 1764.

Merry
07-02-12, 22:31
I'm not sure who this is (James bro George had been dead years by 1806)?

(Documents Online TNA)

Abstract of Will of George Eyre, Gentleman of Thurlstone, Yorkshire November 29 1806 IR 26/427

But I know this one is James' brother!

Abstract of Administration of Vincent Eyre, Yeoman of Thurlston in the parish of Penistone, Yorkshire. Proved in the Court of York. October 19 1802 IR 26/425

HarrysMum
07-02-12, 22:48
I have Vincent Eyre's will.

Those wills are like vitamins......you get them then don't take them. I get the wills then can't read them.

I could read a 1743 will without a bother, but these get me every time. I'll keep my eyes peeled for Elizabeth though...lol

Mary from Italy
07-02-12, 22:49
I was just wondering about that 1806 will :) Can't find it in the death duty index, and Ancestry doesn't have Penistone burials for 1806.

HarrysMum
07-02-12, 23:19
Is the 1806 George Eyre will one I download for 3.50? I certainly can't find it on the PCC ones.

Mary from Italy
07-02-12, 23:46
Yes; it looks as though it's one of those abstracts taken from the Death Duty Registers, so you don't get the whole will, just a précis of the main points.
I can't find it in the death duty index either, although I've looked at PCC and Yorks wills.

HarrysMum
08-02-12, 00:02
No matter......I'm happy with hooking Liz up with that family now.

I did find a baptism of a George Naylor in Osett? Yorkshire on FMP.

I'll start on that when I get my breath...............although you and Merry have done all the hard work.

I can't thank you both enough...

Merry
08-02-12, 05:51
I have Vincent Eyre's will.

Those wills are like vitamins......you get them then don't take them. I get the wills then can't read them.

I could read a 1743 will without a bother, but these get me every time. I'll keep my eyes peeled for Elizabeth though...lol

When you say you have Vincent's will, do you mean this one?:

Will of Vincent Eyre of Sheffield , Yorkshire 21 July 1801 PROB 11/1360

That isn't the same person as this one:

Abstract of Administration of Vincent Eyre, Yeoman of Thurlston in the parish of Penistone, Yorkshire. Proved in the Court of York. October 19 1802 IR 26/425

The first one is the guy in Sheffield who pops up in the newspaper all the time and was buried in 1801. I guess he is connected, but I don't know how! The second one is an admin and is for Elizabeth's uncle, James's brother. He was buried in 1802 after the other man's will had been proved.

Libby, I don't mind transcribing any will that's in the same handwriting as George Ns, so if you want to send me any (oe at a time though!!), that's fiine!

HarrysMum
08-02-12, 06:52
I have Vincent Eyre from Sheffield.....died 1795 probate 1801.

Merry
13-02-12, 16:40
I wish I could get further with this, as I can't be certain these records go together

Cousins, Sarah Fotherby and Ann Reafitt both of Leeds

Marriage of William Fotherby at Leeds, St Peter to Sarah Rofett 28 Oct 1766 By banns. Witnesses Nancy R?ffet and Roger someone.

Sadly, brides in Leeds sign their married name in the register so I only get what the vicar wrote for Sarah's surname plus Nancy's sig which has a blot! Ancestry have transcribed it as Offet for some reason!

There are probably two families being baptised in Leeds at the same time with father William, certainly at the start of the above couple's marriage so I can't be sure who belongs to who (though I've not looked at each one to see if any addresses are mentioned).

Burial of William Fotherby (married man) on 16 Sept 1798 at Leeds, St John The Evangelist aged 60. Address Woodhouse (?) Lane. Sudden death (this isn't the only Willliam, just possibly more likely than the others!)

Burial of Sarah Fotherby (widow) on 5 Jan 1816 at Leeds, St John The Evangelist aged 76. Address Park Lane

It's tempting to think Nancy might be Ann! I can't find anything more about Ann and no baps for either of them.

Merry
13-02-12, 17:41
Baps? Take your pick!

James Park Lane 1767 St Peter
Sarah Chapel Lane 1767 (later in the year) St Peter
William Chapel Lane 1770 St Peter <<< this child may have been buried in 1776
Ann North Bar 1774 St John the Evangelist
George North Bar 1775 St Peter
Thomas North Bar 1778 St John the Evangelist
Mary North Bar 1780 St John the Evangeist
John Whitechapel Lane 1785 St John the Evangelist

Actually, I have now eliminated the other William Fotherby deaths so the 1798 death looks fairly likely to be the husband of Sarah.

Merry
14-02-12, 18:13
The children of brother-in-law Joshua Robinson of Horbury

surely this MUST be the brother-in-law mentioned above:

Burial 4 Nov 1818 St John the Baptist, Penistone, Joshua Robinson of Horbury aged 85.

And possible children of the above (All bap at Penistone)

Joseph 1757
Elizabeth 1758
William 1759
Elizabeth 1761
Margaret 1761

kiterunner
14-02-12, 18:26
I won't pretend I've followed this thread or the others all the way through, but on the Yorkshire Family thread, there is mention of George Naylor having a brother-in-law Benjamin Robinson. Did he have another b-in-law Joshua Robinson, then?

Merry
14-02-12, 18:39
Indeed! All the will beneficiaries are in the first post of this thread.

I think I'm the only person who thinks it's possible George Naylor was previously married to Elizabeth Robinson (before he married Parson Brital, alias Eliz Eyre/Naylor! lol) thereby creating a whole raft of inlaws called Robinson!

Could someone baptised Joseph end up being Joshua? *clutches straws" lol (there is a Joseph Robinson bap 1733 who has (amongst others) a brother Benjamin, a sister Elizabeth (possibly the first Mrs Naylor) and a sister Joannah who may be the Joannah Robinson who married William Linfitt senr)

kiterunner
14-02-12, 18:47
Could be a mistake when the baptism entry was written? Maybe they had written down Josh on the original bit of paper and forgot it was short for Joshua instead of Joseph when they copied it out into the register?

HarrysMum
14-02-12, 18:57
Merry.......that's not a silly assumption (still getting over Kite saying she hasn't followed the thread all the way through......lol)

If George did have a 1st Mrs Naylor (he was certainly old enough) I'm presuming there were no living children by the time he died.

There are two George Naylor burials Thinking of his son born 1796 and not around by 1805). The only problem is they just say George naylor, no age and no 'son of'.

HarrysMum
14-02-12, 19:12
No PCC will for Joshua Robinson.

What else am I looking for Merry???? You are ten steps ahead of me so if you just give me a list of jobs, I'll do them......lol

Why don't you add some of your own as well. Might have more chance of finding them.

Merry
14-02-12, 19:39
What about Origins wills? (I don't mean to buy, just to look) If you lived in Yorkshire you would only have a PCC will if you died abroad or had property down south. Most northern peoples wills would not go through the PCC.

Look how easy it is to find the non-relations!

Pigot's Directory of 1834, Wakefield
Woolstaplers,
Thompson Samuel, Thompson's yard, Westgate <<<probably Eliz Naylor's guardian!
Thompson Samuel, jun. Thompson's yard, Westgate

and their address became famous! lol

http://www.wakefieldhistoricalsoc.org.uk/The%20Gissing%20Trust.htm

HarrysMum
14-02-12, 19:52
There's two possibles on Origins.

Joshua of ?atley Bridge Ripon (Date is Oct 1818...not sure if they have the date of death or the date on the will) That's an Admon

Joshua of Wakefield May 1819. This one is a will.

HarrysMum
14-02-12, 19:56
Have you found the Naylor/Robinson marriage? I am waiting for my new specs.....lol

George Naylor/Elisebeth Robinson 28th Jan 1762 Penistone.

Merry
14-02-12, 19:57
The Leeds Mercury (Leeds, England), Saturday, February 27, 1841

Yesterday week, at an advanced age, Mr Samuel Thompson of Wakefield. He was for many years a wealthy and respectable woolstapler in that town, but has latterly subsisted upon the gifts of the charitable, and a stipulation from the parish funds.

Rather sad......

Merry
14-02-12, 20:11
There's two possibles on Origins.

Joshua of ?atley Bridge Ripon (Date is Oct 1818...not sure if they have the date of death or the date on the will) That's an Admon

Joshua of Wakefield May 1819. This one is a will.

The Wakefield one will be the one (but I doubt it would help unless he says who his father was! lol)

Have you found the Naylor/Robinson marriage? I am waiting for my new specs.....lol

George Naylor/Elisebeth Robinson 28th Jan 1762 Penistone.

Yes, that's the one I tried to match the sig to the Naylor Eyre marriage! This George (the Naylor/Robinson one) has a brother Thomas a couple of years older and I think they each witnessed the other's marriage (Thomas m Eliz Exley in 1760)

HarrysMum
14-02-12, 20:14
Can't find any children from the Naylor/Robinson marriage or a death fro Elizabeth.

Merry
14-02-12, 20:32
No, me neither for the births, but we wouldn't really know when or where Elizabeth died as (if the George is the same one) he moves around instead of sticking to one parish. We could do with 18thC censuses! lol

Uncle John
14-02-12, 20:37
Joshua of ?atley Bridge Ripon (Date is Oct 1818...not sure if they have the date of death or the date on the will) That's an Admon.

I've had a scout round Ripon on Streetmap GB looking for likely bridges and places. Pateley Bridge is miles away.

HarrysMum
14-02-12, 21:07
I wonder if it's Batley Bridge.

UJ...don't let distance get in your way with this lot......lol

This is part of the family who gets brides from Hawkshead for a man in Bristol, then his son nicks up to Wakefield and is back in Bristol for the first bub.

The extended family have nearly all their children born in Yorkshire (various places) except one in Essex....

Uncle John
14-02-12, 21:19
If I didn't know you better, I'd say this was one of these fictitious Ancestry trees where people marry their dead granny and have 55 children.

HarrysMum
14-02-12, 21:27
If I didn't know you better, I'd say this was one of these fictitious Ancestry trees where people marry their dead granny and have 55 children.

Sometimes I wish it was...............

Merry
14-02-12, 21:31
The Wakefield one will be the one (but I doubt it would help unless he says who his father was! lol)

I don't know why I said that when he was from Horbury/Penistone! I have Wakefield on the brain!!

Merry
14-02-12, 21:39
Oooh, I take back my last post as I've just dscovered Horbury was in the parish of Wakefield!

Merry
15-02-12, 08:43
I have just found my CD of the 1791 Universal British Directory. It's a devil to search and I have probably done this before for the same people, but never mind, here's (another?) list (I've included everything I saw for the surnames, regardless of the likelyhood of it being helpful!):

Sheffield
Clergy
Naylor, Rev Benjamin, dissenting minister
Trades
Eyre, John and Co, cutlers and factors
Eyre, Smith, Hall and Co, steel refiners
Kirkby, Waterhouse and Co, Plated Manufacturers
Robinson, Sam, Scissor and razor cutter
Walton, Thomas, draper

Wakefield
Trades
Horner, Joseph, shopkeeper
Naylor, Jer and John, merchants
Naylor, John, grocer
Naylor, James, victualler, (sailor)
Naylor, John, gardener
Priestley, Peter, parish clerk
Priestley, Thomas, breeches maker
Priestley and Blakebrough, bricklayers
Robinson, John, blacksmith
Robinson, Wiliam, hosier
Robinson, Joseph, schoolmaster

Leeds
Physic
Priestley, William, surgeon, apothecary and man-midwife, Kirkgate
Trades
Elam and Co, Merchants, Hunslet Lane
Elams Messrs, grocers, Brig-gate
Eyres and Co, merchants, Gray-walk
Horner and Co, merchants, Park Lane
Naylor W, merchant, Meadow Lane
Robinson, James, grocer, Brig-gate
Robinson, John, stocking manufacturer
Robinson, John, bookseller, stationer and library keeper, Kirk-gate
Robinson W, cloth dresser, Long-bank

am adding more............(later - I've had this CD for about ten years and still don't understand the index to places!!)

Merry
15-02-12, 09:32
OH has taken the CD away from me it order to try and prove i'm an idit, so in the meantime.....Extracts from the Leeds Mercury 1776:

"Yesterday, se'night died, after a tedious illness, Mrs Eyres, wife of Mr James Eyres, Merchant of this town.

(the next entry is for Mrs Whitehead of newhall nr Otley who died "at the amazing age of 117 years"!! lol)

I can't get the exact date for Mrs Eyres (sic), but the burial register for St Peter's in Leeds has a burial:

28th Nov 1776 for "the wife of Mr Eyre of Hunslet Lane".

So they were already at Hunslet Lane in 1776, but not listed in the trade directory at that address in 1791, yet we know James Eyre was of Hunslet Lane at death too (1805).

Merry
15-02-12, 09:42
Are those amounts of money on page 239 below?

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=oh4NAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA239&dq=eyres+merchants+leeds&hl=en&sa=X&ei=24Y7T-mCMamk0QWdialt&ved=0CE0Q6AEwBQ#v=snippet&q=eyres&f=false

For those wo don't know, we discovered James Eyre of Hunslet Lane wrote a will "on or about 9th Nov 1805" (a week or so before he died) as his son Edward (the Irish one from Tullydoey) mentioned this in his will of 1830. Sadly we can't find any ref to this 1805 will anywhere else, so if anyone has any bright ideas............

Janet
15-02-12, 16:49
Yes. On my view I can see that it's an appendix detailing the trade of Leeds (home and foreign) in manufs., January 1782. The first column is headed Foreign, the second Home. Total exported comes to 738,000 and Home comes to 273,000. Added together, it gives a sum Total of £1,011,000.

A footnote on the title of the appendix indicates that these are 'Extracts from an old Leeds Merchant's Memorandum Book: 1770-1786', Thors. Soc., XXIV, Miscellanea (1919), p. 37.

Merry
15-02-12, 17:03
Thanks Janet,

So, James did have a few thousand then. I wish his will would come to light - it;s really bugging me that he wrote one and we can't find it. :mad:

kiterunner
15-02-12, 17:17
Has the Index to Death Duty Registers already been searched for it, Merry?

Merry
15-02-12, 17:43
Yes both on FMP and on TNA and also Libby has an origins sub, but it doesn't appear on there either. I know not all wills survive, but I wasn't aware that York was a particular problem. I suggested Libby email the Borthwick Institute!

HarrysMum
15-02-12, 20:18
Have done so Merry.

They have only ever replied to other emails with a "yes that is available" but never told me how to get it or answered the emails about how to get it.

Might be easier for me to come over........anyone know the winning lotto numbers for next week?????

tenterfieldjulie
15-02-12, 21:05
... when you find out .. remember me lol