PDA

View Full Version : Praise, where praise is due.

Oakum Picker
03-02-12, 08:25
We often hear on Forums such as this about institutions (often Irish) that require a fairly substantial sum up front to look for records, only to come back with no information so I thought it only fair to mention when the reverse happens.

My husband has been searching for 12 years for details of his gm, a woman he knew well as a young man - she died in 1970. Sorry, forgot to mention that he's Irish. He found her marriage in Civil Records to his gf but a real bonus, or so he thought was the church entry which gave both of her parents names. He then spent many hours over several months at the LDS poring over the Indexes but there was no sign of her birth or birth, marriage or death of the parents.

We jump forward a few years to the release of the Irish 1901 census & he finds someone listed under a diminutive of her first name, living in a children's home in Dublin. Nothing positive but his 'gut feeling' was that it was her. Googling the name of the home gave him a lot of background information on the Institution but that was that.

He's had a little break from Family History as those of you with Irish ancestors know, Irish research is difficult. Last week he googled the home again & found a message from someone in Australia who also had an ancestor in the home. This person had found the name of a Trust which dealt with this home & had received a lot of help from them.

At the beginning of the week an email was sent to the Trust with the details he had of his grandmother. The reply wasn't encouraging - the index showed that this child had completely different parents names from the ones given. Knowing how things can be badly indexed he asked if there was anything else to look at as he still felt this was his gm. The kind lady agreed to go to the Archive & look for the file. Yesterday she replied & emailed photocopies of the documents in the file. Most of the information still did not agree with my husband's but in the file were 3 letters from his gm in her married name giving the proof needed that this was indeed the correct child. Needless to say, hubbie is over the moon that he has new avenues open to him.

His gm made up all the names. She was buried as Cathlyn Marion, her name was Kate. She said her parents were Hugh & Edith Marion, they were Thomas & Emily. No wonder they couldn't be found. At no time was money mentioned but my husband has sent a gift.

HarrysMum
03-02-12, 08:33
Brilliant Glen. It's lovely to hear good news like that.

kiterunner
03-02-12, 08:35
Wow, that's great.

Merry
03-02-12, 08:38
Wow, fantastic! :):):)

Now, if you could just arrange for something similar for OH and his Irish grandfather...............:D

tenterfieldjulie
03-02-12, 08:48
Absolutely delighted for you both Glen.
I will arrive in Dublin in early May and have a full day in Dublin where I intend to visit the Library. I don't have anything pressing to do so if there is anything I can do please tell me.
I will be visiting Sligo, Limerick, Kerry, Galway, Wexford etc basically with family and friends and doing some research, so I'll be only too pleased to do some digging. Having Irish friends often is a help!! I'll have a car.

Olde Crone
03-02-12, 09:10
In defence of granny - maybe she couldn't remember her parents' names, if she had been in a home since she was small, or maybe they were wrongly recorded by the Priest at the time of her marriage.

But - what a wonderful story. It just shows that dogged persistence pays off in the end.

OC

Oakum Picker
03-02-12, 09:14
Thanks everyone. You can imagine how exhilarated we both feel. The thing is he did all his early research through the LDS in London & then in Dublin but he could not have found this information without the internet.

Merry - all Bob's ancestors are Irish well, not quite true as he has an English surname & although he can only trace his family name back to 1800, we think they went over with Cromwell & whilst some are well documented, he is obviously descended from the poor relations. However he does have a lot of experience with Irish research so if you want us to take a look at your OH's gf send me some details. Can't promise anything but might have some ideas!

Julie - thanks for the offer. We'll see how the new search goes, we've already made progress as many Dublin records are online. We've already found things that don't quite gel - illegitimacy may be involved & if it is, amazingly it will be Bob's first. This was a Protestant family whereas all the rest were RC.

ElizabethHerts
03-02-12, 09:24
Glen, how fantastic. No wonder you and your husband are chuffed.

Oakum Picker
03-02-12, 09:27
OC - I think you're being kind to granny. I never met her but she was a real Irish matriarch with illusions of grandeur. She ruled the family with a rod of iron. The story goes that her husband, as is usual with Irishmen liked a drop of the black stuff & when he came home drunk one night she wouldn't let him in & he died not long after from pneumonia.

She was born a Protestant & a letter from a Protestant priest showed that he was worried that the papist's were trying to get their hands on her so he was asking the Protestant home to take her.

She married a RC & became more Catholic than the Catholics, my husband remembers saying the rosary with her many times.

Oakum Picker
03-02-12, 09:28
Thanks, Elizabeth.

Merry
03-02-12, 11:16
However he does have a lot of experience with Irish research so if you want us to take a look at your OH's gf send me some details. Can't promise anything but might have some ideas!

That's kind of you, Glen! It's ideas we need. At the moment all we can think is that he changed his name when he came to England, which would probably make it impossble to find him, yet we keep on trying!

Here's a couple of threads about him:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=10758&highlight=john+claud+hamilton

Note kiterunner's post #2 in the above thread!

and:

http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/Forum/showthread.php?t=4969&highlight=john+claud+hamilton

At the end of the second thread I said I was going to try to get his WW1 hospital records. Well, that came to nothing (nothing surviving).

Oakum Picker
04-02-12, 08:07
Hi Merry,

I've had a look but it appears that you & others have followed all the likely lines of enquiry so I can't offer anything new. However, it is now noted so I'll continue to look at it every now & again.

Merry
04-02-12, 08:09
Thanks Glen! :)

Kit
04-02-12, 08:41
What a wonderful story. It goes to show that you just have to keep looking.

Oakum Picker
04-02-12, 09:57
Thanks Toni. Yes it's bad enough when we get held up by an ancestor in the C18th or C19th but to be stuck with someone he'd known for the first 25 yrs of his life was particularly frustrating.

Joy Dean
05-02-12, 07:50
I said brilliant before, and I shall say it again!:)

Julie, I may ask a favour of you :)

Nell
05-02-12, 08:15
OP, its always good to hear about breakthroughs and helpful archive staff. So pleased for you!

I remember being thrilled when a GR member (Michigan Girl) found my ex's Irish lot changed their name from McCarthy to Carter, enabling me to find gt grandfather Charles Albert Carter's birth cert as Charles Albert McCarthy, something previous family researchers - and indeed Charles himself - hadn't been able to do!

Oakum Picker
05-02-12, 12:01
Nell, yes sometimes no amount of perseverance brings an end result but occasionally it does & is extremely satisfying.

tenterfieldjulie
05-02-12, 20:33
It took me 30 years to find Peter's living relations and even then his great uncle's name was mistranscribed. It was by Googling and gave the town land. Now I have lovely living Irish relations to annoy!! They are interested in family history too ... another bonus.
Joy I'll send you a message.

Joy Dean
11-02-12, 20:11
It took me 30 years to find Peter's living relations and even then his great uncle's name was mistranscribed. It was by Googling and gave the town land. Now I have lovely living Irish relations to annoy!! They are interested in family history too ... another bonus.
Joy I'll send you a message. Thank you:)